Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 06:16 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,635 times

Advertisements

Best Buy like always. Brand new TV'S are cheap enough as it is, no need to risk it with potential craigslist junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 11:33 AM

784 posts, read 923,188 times
Look on offerupnow.com they show a lot of TV's cheap.

I buy all of mine from BestBuy and if you don't recognize the brand....don't buy it.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:35 AM

675 posts, read 1,414,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
This^^ (BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY so long as the price is good).
To the OP. Go to Costco and buy a 42" 1080P LED backlight for around $375. Buy the extended warranty and consider that "cheap".
My philosophy is I NEVER buy the ext warranties on a tv or other electronics. most come with 1 or 2 years. if it doesn't go tango uniform in the first year you have a good chance at it surviving the life of the extended warranty.
We've got 2 samsung flat screens that have been going strong for > 5 yrs... and 2 yrs ago I bought 3 cheapo "Sceptre" flatscreens online for my recroom. probably made in hong kong. still going strong.

ext warranties are basically an insurance policy. ymmv but I personally think they're mostly a waste of money.

but back to the OP topic- we recently tried to sell our 10 year old 62" magnavox rear LCD projection tv. one of those monsters that weighs 140lbs. It still worked fine, but we just wanted something smaller. Paid 4grand for that thing back in 2005. Had a hard time giving it away, but finally found someone to come take it for free.

After the holidays I'll be looking for a good deal on a large 4k (uhd) to replace it.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:42 PM

Prices on 4K televisions have dropped dramatically, it's incredible.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:07 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
The problem is finding 4K content.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:23 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Given so many electronics are solid state and reliable these days, I've never bought extended warranty's for anything and I'm way ahead of the game $ wise. I've bought a lot of electronics over the years and never had a failure on any of them, even computers, hard drives, etc. And I keep my electronics for a long time(5+ years is common for me).

For those who want extra warranty coverage, the other technique to use is buy electronics with a credit card that extends the warranty(read your CC agreement if this coverage is offered on yours). One can get an extra year warranty with certain credit cards over and above the manufacturer warranty. And the extra coverage costs nothing....as long as one pays off the CC balance in full before interest kicks in.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:11 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,968 times
Quote:
I was shocked at how dramatically they've dropped. 55" 4Ks can be had for around $750 - $950 now.

It's almost worth it to buy a 4K TV now if you're in the market for a new TV as it's more "future proof".

My wife and I have a 55" Insignia TV we bought from Best Buy. I know a lot of people here have said not to buy a brand that you don't recognize, but Best Buy's customer service and support on our Insignia has been great. We did have some issues with it at first but they came back to our house, replaced a number of components in it, and now it works just fine.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The problem is finding 4K content.
I totally agree! Not everything is even 1080p yet, I feel like they really rushed 4K out to the masses.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
I was shocked at how dramatically they've dropped. 55" 4Ks can be had for around $750 - $950 now.

It's almost worth it to buy a 4K TV now if you're in the market for a new TV as it's more "future proof".

My wife and I have a 55" Insignia TV we bought from Best Buy. I know a lot of people here have said not to buy a brand that you don't recognize, but Best Buy's customer service and support on our Insignia has been great. We did have some issues with it at first but they came back to our house, replaced a number of components in it, and now it works just fine.
Insignia is in the LG family right? We owned one years back and it worked and looked good for us. I like Best Buy, if you have an issue they really seem to work with you.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:15 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,968 times
Quote:
Insignia is in the LG family right? We owned one years back and it worked and looked good for us. I like Best Buy, if you have an issue they really seem to work with you.
Insignia is the Best Buy house brand. I believe that our model is a Samsung. Others may be made by LG.

Best Buy has really improved over the past couple of years.

I bought a TV at Fry's Electronics once. That place is fun but the customer service there is a bit lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
View detailed profiles of: