Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 09:06 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Probably in the fine print somewhere... I just read that the NFL is blocked because Verizon has the right with regards to mobile devices.
I don't think this is the case. For one thing, my sister-in-law, who also uses Sling TV, was able to watch the game. I wasn't. Now, it could possibly be that it was blocked on the ISP level. I don't know what ISP my brother has in Raleigh.

Secondly, I DO know I've been able to watch Monday Night Football on Sling TV. For just a short while, I tuned in to see the Browns game a few weeks ago, and it was working just fine then. For the record, the main device that I used Sling TV on was the Roku stick I got free for signing up with SlingTV for three months. I would assume that is an approved device. Also, I tried SlingTV on my computers, as well as iPad. None of the devices would stream the game through the SlingTV app.

Incidentally, I have the Verizon NFL app on my phone, and actually didn't think to check the app that night. I did try to stream some games through the app last Sunday, and it would never play the video. Didn't say anything about rights or licensing, just said something went wrong with the stream. However, I was able to easily stream the playoffs games last year on my phone through the app - being connected to WiFi.

At any rate, I think it was an issue with the application itself. It's possible that so many were logging on to view the game through Sling, that some connections got booted while others were able to view the game. If this is what's happening, then Sling has some work to do to make sure this doesn't happen. As a customer, I expect to get what I paid for and what is promised to me. When the website has a big advertisement of Monday Night Football, you expect to be able to view it through the application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 01:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
No, it's not tied with WatchESPN unfortunately. If I could ever figure how to get into my in-law's TWC account, I could probably watch it that way. They don't mind me using the account, but they can't figure out what the password is, lol!

I doubt you'll see live ESPN content on Hulu or Netflix, especially anytime soon. I don't really see why the NFL can't just allow everybody access to live NFL games (not repeats) for a small price, even if you can only watch it online.
Re your in laws
Maybe they have not CREATED an account that needs a password

I bought Roku streaming stick for my sister who doesn't have cable
I was able to program for ShowtimeNow and HBO go and History channel and some others including ESPN--
She is in San Antonio TX area and wants to watch Spurs basketball which comes on ESPN every so often
Have to use the email and password for my UVerse account to activate those channels on Roku before sending her the stick...

Old 12-15-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Re your in laws
Maybe they have not CREATED an account that needs a password

I bought Roku streaming stick for my sister who doesn't have cable
I was able to program for ShowtimeNow and HBO go and History channel and some others including ESPN--
She is in San Antonio TX area and wants to watch Spurs basketball which comes on ESPN every so often
Have to use the email and password for my UVerse account to activate those channels on Roku before sending her the stick...
No, we finally did a password reset and got into their account. Unfortunately, the TV had to be on the same network as their cable box, which means it didn't work for us. Ah well...so much for that!

Old 12-15-2015, 04:00 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I can get espn w my att logon
On Roku wo home network
Can use my uverse app on ipad only when am on home networl

Old 12-15-2015, 04:29 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,183 times
streamhunter.eu but you didn't hear it from me.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
streamhunter.eu but you didn't hear it from me.
There's actually a way to load the stream URL into VLC player for a high quality stream. I might try that just to see if it works. I, honestly, don't mind paying for things like ESPN, especially at a decent price per month. But, I'm not going to pay for it and have a nationally televised game blacked out.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:35 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
The error message read something like "error 8-259". I couldn't find this error online at the time.
Anyway, anybody else had issue with SlingTV?
I actually found a number of online complaints with SlingTV and they do cite that exact same error number
https://twitter.com/tsol725/status/634523525139795971

Sling has openly acknowledged that they do lose service during big sporting events. After problems with the Basketball Final Four in April Sling TV issued the following statement:

"Despite our best planning, we experienced an unprecedented combination of new customer signups and high levels of viewership. These factors stressed our systems. While the viewing experience was spot on for the vast majority our customers, we were able to rebalance traffic loads for those who were affected and improve the experience for the remainder of the evening. As always, we continue to improve how our system performs, including its stability during peak loads."

It is possible for a friend to be watching the same game on Sling TV and have no problems.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 12-17-2015 at 02:46 AM..

Old 12-18-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I actually found a number of online complaints with SlingTV and they do cite that exact same error number
https://twitter.com/tsol725/status/634523525139795971

Sling has openly acknowledged that they do lose service during big sporting events. After problems with the Basketball Final Four in April Sling TV issued the following statement:

"Despite our best planning, we experienced an unprecedented combination of new customer signups and high levels of viewership. These factors stressed our systems. While the viewing experience was spot on for the vast majority our customers, we were able to rebalance traffic loads for those who were affected and improve the experience for the remainder of the evening. As always, we continue to improve how our system performs, including its stability during peak loads."

It is possible for a friend to be watching the same game on Sling TV and have no problems.
Yes, but, that doesn't solve the issue of me not being able to view the content that I paid to have access for. I remember reading up on the issues during the final four. At that point, I had not signed up with Sling TV, because I was still on satellite. I assumed that they had resolved that issue months after. I didn't sign up until sometime in September. I figured between April and September, surely they had plenty of time to diagnosis the issue and prevent it from happening again.

I mean, I know it's the Redskins/Cowboys. That's a rivalry game that a lot of non-fans tune into, but it's not like it was the Super Bowl. The week or so prior, as stated, I could tune in and see the Cleveland Monday Night game without issue. But for me, this was one of the reasons for having Sling TV. I didn't want to go down the route of watching an illegal stream.

Either way, it's $20 that I can allocate for other things. Once my son is at school age and my wife goes back to full time again, I'll probably either find another streaming service (I'm sure there will be plenty to choose from at that point) to try, or I'll just go back with satellite.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:52 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Either way, it's $20 that I can allocate for other things. Once my son is at school age and my wife goes back to full time again, I'll probably either find another streaming service (I'm sure there will be plenty to choose from at that point) to try, or I'll just go back with satellite.
Is this an issue with web browsers on a desktop or mobile table or with devices like Roku?

Dish Network has put a limit of 2 million subscribers on its Sling TV service. Sling TV reportedly had about 100,000 subscribers as of April so the current number is speculative.

I think a lot of people think that all of TV will be viewed via streaming in 10 years. The House of Lords in Britain proposed that the UK move TV away from antennas to free up bandwidth as an economic boost. I am not sure if it can really happen.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:56 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
We are on the verge of dropping Sling. It's not much money, but it's also highly unreliable for Roku, Xbox One, and for mobile devices. the interface keeps getting tweaks from the Dish Network development team (who owns Sling, FYI, and suspiciously). It never gets better.

My suspicion is that Dish doesn't want or need Sling to work properly. It's a gimmick to lure people in. Doesn't work properly, and will never achieve any kind of scale for their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics