Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 12:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times

Advertisements

We are traveling back forth from TX to FL lot lately and traffic can be problematic at times
We have cell phones and usually have reception--I use Waze which helps at times in knowing what the problem might be but it depends on having other Waze users in your immediate area--
Some areas are better about that than others...
Thought we might try using a portable CB--I assume truckers are still using that--was looking for one for Xmas present for my husband
We used to have one in the 80s when we did lot of distance driving and had no cell phones
Don't want to mount anything to the dash or install --- just portable--

Any suggestions for models that are easy to use, have decent audio quality and can plug into aux power--
Need magnetic antenna for outside the car too I imagine since reception won't be great w/o one...
Something not too clunky but with good range--easy to connect and store--

Appreciate the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 08:19 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,041,557 times
Is anyone selling CB radios? Try Radio Shack website or do a CB radio search.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:48 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,682,605 times
CBs are not as ubiquitous as they once were. Truckers are moving away from CBs. Anymore they are replaced by cell phones and gps units. The channels are filled with vile chatter and hardly useful anymore. I have Midland lx1001 in my pickup. I tuned the antenna and all. I mainly use it for weather information. I purchased mine off of Amazon.

I have toyed with the idea of a Cobra LX29.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:46 PM

Thanks--
Maybe I will get his car connected as mobile hotspot so it is easier to run the Waze app

Old 12-16-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Thanks--
Maybe I will get his car connected as mobile hotspot so it is easier to run the Waze app
Just get a portable "mi-fi" device. It is portable, allows up to five devices to operate off of it and you can take it anywhere.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:54 AM

With an item like that--where is it pulling the wi-if connection from when in use in a moving. car?
Is it really just using data 3G/4G like the phones--

Do you know the least expensive way I could connect the car as wi-if hotspot?
Right now we have two IPhones on ATT--our TX house has UVerse--and my husband likes getting/paying one bill vs separate ones...I have iPad tied to my phone but usually have it set to wi-if only.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
With an item like that--where is it pulling the wi-if connection from when in use in a moving. car?
Is it really just using data 3G/4G like the phones--

Do you know the least expensive way I could connect the car as wi-if hotspot?
Right now we have two IPhones on ATT--our TX house has UVerse--and my husband likes getting/paying one bill vs separate ones...I have iPad tied to my phone but usually have it set to wi-if only.
The mi-fi works on 3G and 4G service. It doesn't matter if the vehicle is moving or not. Generally they are free to $50. It is essentially adding another line to a cell data plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics