Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 04:53 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times

Advertisements

I posted a piggy back on another thread. Thought I should have my own thread now.
I have a Solid Signal antenna in the attic with a amp that SS said was what I needed. It does have to go to two TVs. However, I am wondering if I should get another amp and put it closer to the TV to get a stronger signal. I do get some pixelation and a couple of stations don't come in at all or are sporadic. I am strongly opposed to paying for TV and especially the complaints I hear from others here about Time Warner and the Dish and Direct. Just want to get the best signal and hoping to strengthen it as much as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 07:40 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
An amplifier is used to boost the signal when in a fringe area. But if the antenna is not large enough, high enough or not pointed directly at the tower or in hilly terrain, an amplifier would not make a difference. And an additional amplifier will only give too much 'gain'.
Go to antennaweb.org or tvfool.com to see location of tower[s], distance and channels available.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:36 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Thanks for responding. I live on the side of the mountain that the towers are on so towers are close. I am wondering if the signal is going OVER my antenna . Or, are there trees that might be blocking it? It is just weird how some channels will come in sometimes and others will not. Solid Signal told me that I have the right set up but still confused. Just don't want to pay for TV , especially when people complain about the service.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:40 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Trees, leaves, air currents and moisture can raise havoc with reception. A site analysis would be the only way to get you definitive answers. Yes, signal can go over a receiving antenna, there can also be issues with polarization and multi-path cancellation.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:17 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Just don't want to pay for TV , especially when people complain about the service.
Time Warner service I have no problems with. It's the price that I hate.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:36 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
I live 40 miles flat terrain south of the towers for the Tampa area. My antenna faces directly at them and receive all prime/sub channels with no problems. Here's what's odd. I also get a few channels from a tower serving the Ft Myers area. Tower is 52 miles south east. I'm told it's something called 'signal bounce' [of 92 miles?]. According to the weather, I get either vid/aud or the 'no signal' blank screen pop up box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics