Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 12:10 PM

147 posts, read 162,850 times

Advertisements

Buy yourself an andriod TV box - an S912 3gb 32gb
Install Kodi
Check youtube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 12:57 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
and steal content FTW!

Old 04-13-2017, 10:10 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Still without Cable or Satellite TV. We cut the cord back in August of 2015. I'm a huge NFL fan (of course Redskins) so that is the biggest challenge. Verizon Wireless lets us watch football on our phones and get the NFL network, so I can access some football if it's only offered on cable. All of our favorite shows are on the basic networks (NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, CW), so we can access them. We subscribed to Netflix and Amazon Prime. Don't have Hulu, though.

Right now in our lives, we don't need a bunch of TV. Our son dominates the TV with Daniel Tiger and Curious George, so by the time he goes to sleep, the wife and I might get an hour or two to watch our favorite programs. Even then, most of those shows are on stations we can get off of an antenna.

My wife is not a big TV person. She's just fine playing board games or sitting in the quiet working on her graphic design. I'm more of the TV person, so if we ever do get cable or Satellite TV again, it would probably be for my wants. But right now, I don't feel the need to have it.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:05 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Even then, most of those shows are on stations we can get off of an antenna.
https://www.locast.org/

Locast is a non-profit that sends a signal from local broadcast stations to the internet. It is free, but wth a contribution of $5.00 a month they irritate you with donation requests.

Right now they are in 15 TV markets (out of over 200 total), but they have the top 9 which means that they can serve 31% of the nations TV households.

Even if you watch broadcast with an antenna, this service makes it possible to cheaply watch on a phone or a tablet. Many of us are geographically impaired and can't get a good signal because of intervening hills. I am such a person, and of the 15 stations offered in Philadelphia area, I could only get 5 relatively unimportant stations with an antenna.

As inexpensive streaming services go, this is probably the best for $5 a month. CBS all - access is $6; Hulu Video on Demand with advertisements is $6 a month. Both those service allow only 2 simultaneous streams, while Locast is not limited. Nether of them is Live TV.

If you are looking for Live TV that carries sports, then other than Locast, the cheapest option is $25 for Sling TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics