Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 767 times

Advertisements

Trying to connect an old vcr/dvd player to my hdtv. Tv has RCA connector as does vcr. When I connect I can't get the vcr to play. The RCA connections are on the side of my Bravia tv not on the rear panel but I figured as long as they are RCA's it should work. Old guy new to all this. When I get the menu on my tv I can scroll down to DVD and click it on but all I get is the message no dvd. How do I get the vcr to play? Trying to watch my 1985 Bears Super Bowl tape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 07:07 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
The TV probably has more than a few inputs. So, depending on where you have the VCR plugged in, you might have to scroll through a few of the inputs to find the right one. It might not be the DVD input. It might be another one.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:19 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
You have to match the VCR with the input you are using. Turn the VCR 'on'. Click on each input on the screen to see if VCR appears on the screen. Sometimes side or front RCA connections are used for 'game' consoles. Are there component or composite connecters on the rear of the TV? Do you have the RCA wires connected to 'out' on the VCR? You need 'out' from VCR' to 'in' on TV.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:39 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumlaren View Post
Tv has RCA connector as does vcr. When I connect I can't get the vcr to play.
The VCR has all three; yellow, white and red? As I recall some older VCR's were mono, I think it was red for audio and black for video. The black would have to go to the yellow jack on the TV.

Trouble shoot by connecting the VCR to some other device if you can to make sure it's still functional. Same thing with the TV, even if it's just a radio with RCA outputs you should get sound if the TV is on the right input.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:33 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumlaren
How do I get the vcr to play? Trying to watch my 1985 Bears Super Bowl tape.
Good for you my friend!!!

VHS is georgeous....... Good luck and welcome to city-data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics