Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 08:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
lol, join the AK and read some of the non-technical forums. You will understand...
I already understand. Take the audiophile sub on Reddit as an example. People have opinions, their stuff is the best, yours is crap.

Even the BudgetAudiophile sub should be called BudgetAudioSnobs.

I'm used to it.

What's the AK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 10:06 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,213,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, there are certainly snobs in that realm...just like in every realm.

I'm a Marvel snob... come on DC sucks....
That's not being a snob, that's just common sense.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:51 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I already understand. Take the audiophile sub on Reddit as an example. People have opinions, their stuff is the best, yours is crap.

I'm used to it.

What's the AK?
Audiokarma, I assume:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

I followed it for a number of years. It has the same problems as mentioned above.

Old 01-20-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Audiokarma, I assume:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

I followed it for a number of years. It has the same problems as mentioned above.
I'm familiar with it, I just didn't make the connection.

I am a member of avsforum. Haven't posted in many years.

https://www.avsforum.com/

Old 01-22-2023, 02:41 PM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:

I'm used to it.

What's the AK?

AudioKarma.

Other than the real egg heads along side 'Papa' (Nelson Pass) at DiYAudio, all your techs that are gonna fix your crap are there and sadly, we are dying off - but thats ok, its getting noticeably harder to source thru hole parts.

So besides the tech stuff like setting bias for runaway sansui driver boards, lotsa discussions that read like a 'wine tasting': "These speakers finish well with a hint of mischief" or about oxygen free virgin copper from a small town in bavaria where the power cords make it sound bright and lively...

yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah - recap the global negative feedback...

I do not frequent reddit as I figure I do not need the added headache...

Old 01-23-2023, 12:37 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
I do not frequent reddit as I figure I do not need the added headache...
Reddit...Facebook, Twitter, Instagram... every single one of those is exactly like life: it is what you make of it. I am on all these platforms.... zero headache. You see, you get to pick and choose what you see and who you follow on all these platforms.
Uncle Ed just wont **** about politics? You don't follow Uncle Ed.
Same on Reddit.. you subscribe to topics that interest YOU. Once you learn how to do that Reddit can be fun. That's kind of the point.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Reddit...Facebook, Twitter, Instagram... every single one of those is exactly like life: it is what you make of it. I am on all these platforms.... zero headache. You see, you get to pick and choose what you see and who you follow on all these platforms.
Uncle Ed just wont **** about politics? You don't follow Uncle Ed.
Same on Reddit.. you subscribe to topics that interest YOU. Once you learn how to do that Reddit can be fun. That's kind of the point.

lol thats funny. I dont have any of those EITHER. You will find in your travels that the (shrinking) subset of us folks willing to a) fix things b) answer questions c) share it - dwindling - trolls and trollish actions being what they are.

While I dont have those, I do know someone with a facebook account and since most genuine old style forums went to the facebook 'free' model, I still post tech pages thru this person in specific places. Cars, trucks, trains (model), campers, cycles etc. I have many many publications using that, I type it up, toss in the photos and hand it over. You generally have to join the closed group - which they use to keep the garbage out and even then you still have the marginal people who spend the bulk of their online time searching for anything nudie.

heckfire, Im still answering amazon product questions because I got some chinese 2bbl carb to work on v-twin briggs tractors and posted a review/howto on the product page. and since the new stuff is hyper priced junk, everyone is hanging onto the 20+year old lawn cutters.

So you can have the best intentions in the world, but the 'online' has given the marginal personalities TOO MUCH voice. Witness CD...

This is not to say I have not read some reddit...occasionally a google search for some data I need goes there but I find for every post that has a golden hint in it, there are a dozen jag-offs that have to pipe in and, like every other place, if they have standing or are friends with those in power, their trash stays. no thanks.

With places like the AK, (or VK or DiYAudio etc) you can be working on an obscure unit and find somewhere the critical info to make it live - perhaps just a trans sub or mebbe a way to fix a mechanical issue in a tape deck...we always type them up and just post them up cuz the AK allows outside content search without membership...if it helps down the road its a way of paying it forward. As the lyrics say "I aint no saint, sure as hell aint no saviour..." but in my town of Pitt there are exactly 3 of us advertising this electrical work. Tolerance for trolls and drama is low...especially when this is FREE. and in a country where 'gen-pop' is learning less and less with each generation....do the math. Im not being arrogant, but reality is, you need us (techs) more than we need you, and if each reply post is a freshly picked diaper nugget, we tend to fade off into the shadows

Old 01-24-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Im not being arrogant, but reality is, you need us (techs) more than we need you, and if each reply post is a freshly picked diaper nugget, we tend to fade off into the shadows
Maybe in your world. I can't remember the last time I had anything fixed. I'm being honest and I'm going back all the way to the 80s. Maybe in the 70s we still had radio and tv repair but not since then.

We live in a disposable world and that goes beyond just electronics. Things are designed to break and be thrown away. If we kept repairing things we would be putting a lot of people out of business the way I see it. Things made in China has a lot to do with this. They are obviously not known for quality. Korea is not much better. Samsung makes great phones and pretty good TVs but their appliances are complete junk as an example. I know this personally. Never would I buy a Samsung washer, dryer or Refrigerator.

It sucks but it is a reality. I prefer quality over cheap junk. Always have. It's just hard to find and even if you do it costs an arm and a leg.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Maybe in your world. I can't remember the last time I had anything fixed. I'm being honest and I'm going back all the way to the 80s. Maybe in the 70s we still had radio and tv repair but not since then.

We live in a disposable world and that goes beyond just electronics. Things are designed to break and be thrown away. If we kept repairing things we would be putting a lot of people out of business the way I see it. Things made in China has a lot to do with this. They are obviously not known for quality. Korea is not much better. Samsung makes great phones and pretty good TVs but their appliances are complete junk as an example. I know this personally. Never would I buy a Samsung washer, dryer or Refrigerator.

It sucks but it is a reality. I prefer quality over cheap junk. Always have. It's just hard to find and even if you do it costs an arm and a leg.

then I wanna shop where you shop. I just picked up a new whiz bang microwave to replace the 5 year old in the kitchen that now no longer heats unless the exhaust fan is also turned on - can anyoen say cheap chinese junk control board. I will fix it and post the fix online somewhere and hang this in the other house when we do the kitchen next year.

btw - the music you hear playing in the background? 1978-1980 pioneer SX-890. rare of in itself. I bought it at auction and restored it about 7 years ago and it plays at least 9 hours a day, at least 5 days a week in the office...for 7 years.

that and the specs on the amp means you have to shell out high 4+ digits to match it. Back in the day, this was run of the mill.

so if you want quality, you need a maytag repairman hanging around.

when the SHTF and/or the zombies attack...people are gonna be in a world of hurt, let alone on the menu...

Old 01-24-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
then I wanna shop where you shop. I just picked up a new whiz bang microwave to replace the 5 year old in the kitchen that now no longer heats unless the exhaust fan is also turned on - can anyoen say cheap chinese junk control board. I will fix it and post the fix online somewhere and hang this in the other house when we do the kitchen next year.

btw - the music you hear playing in the background? 1978-1980 pioneer SX-890. rare of in itself. I bought it at auction and restored it about 7 years ago and it plays at least 9 hours a day, at least 5 days a week in the office...for 7 years.

that and the specs on the amp means you have to shell out high 4+ digits to match it. Back in the day, this was run of the mill.

so if you want quality, you need a maytag repairman hanging around.

when the SHTF and/or the zombies attack...people are gonna be in a world of hurt, let alone on the menu...
Now that you mention microwaves. I actually bought a Magic Chef. Supposed to be the premium brand. Nice looking too, stainless steel. After a couple of years, it started making a weird noise when the turntable was spinning. Finally broke. I am the DIY type so ordered the motor on ebay. Replaced it. It lasted a couple of more years, then it would not work at all, would not heat. I use my microwave quite a bit, I went online and bought a cheap one from Walmart. It's been a while but I could almost bet that the cheap Walmart one will outlast the other one. Moral of the story is everything is cheap, even stuff that isn't.

I'm all for vintage equipment, had my share of it going back to the 70s. I was into Kenwood and Pioneer as well. My first receiver was a Kenwood KR-7600. I got my mom a Pioneer. Don't remember the model but it was silver. I use modern stuff now, Yamaha to be exact. That is my preferred brand. I have an RX-A780 in my living room, it's a few years old. Has all the bells and whistles. I love it and it sounds fantastic.

What music in the background?

Last edited by gguerra; 01-24-2023 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics