Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 07:47 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times

Advertisements

I have the Xfinity Samsung television set box. It doesn't seem to have a power off switch. The blue light is on even after I click off the television.

If I keep the set box on a shelf inside the entertainment cabinet, is there any chance the set box will overheat. The entertainment cabinet has doors. It is made of wood. It has one hole in the back for cables and electrical cords.

Would it be a good idea to have it on a surge protector that I shut off when not in use?

I do not watch much television, so it wouldn't be much of an inconvenience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 08:31 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,515 times
Close it up for an hour and check the temperature. It's good to have some ventilation. One idea would be to drill a few holes in the back of the entertainment center for ventilation.

In all likelihood, its harmless. Devices in low power mode usually don't give off much heat. If they do, they usually have a safe way to handle it. UL and CSA test for people blocking ventilation and they check it to see what happens. It can't result in flames.

Switching it off may be okay, you could try it and see if there is any negative effects (losing internet, longer time to receive TV).

Old 04-10-2016, 05:48 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Close it up for an hour and check the temperature. It's good to have some ventilation. One idea would be to drill a few holes in the back of the entertainment center for ventilation.

In all likelihood, its harmless. Devices in low power mode usually don't give off much heat. If they do, they usually have a safe way to handle it. UL and CSA test for people blocking ventilation and they check it to see what happens. It can't result in flames.

Switching it off may be okay, you could try it and see if there is any negative effects (losing internet, longer time to receive TV).

@Hobo, thanks for the advice.

Update, I ended up cutting out an additional port for cables and cords. I think that will add a little more ventilation.

I left one of those cheap stick-up thermometers in the closed cabinet for several hours. Temperature ranges between 70° and 75° so far.

If there is a significant increase in temp during the summer, I may drill some additional ventilation holes in the back, as you suggested.

I did try shutting it down from the surge protector strip. TV took around 2 minutes to reconnect with the cable when I put it back on. TV and set box are on one strip. Main cable router is not in the cabinet and is on a separate strip.

There is a shelf over the set box. The shelf the set box sits on only contains the set box.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post

Would it be a good idea to have it on a surge protector that I shut off when not in use?

I do not watch much television, so it wouldn't be much of an inconvenience.
I don't know about that box but on the one I have it has go through about a 5 minute routine after it loses power otherwise I would do precisely what you suggested.

Presumably the holes you cut for the cables were in the bottom, ideally you want holes near the bottom and top. That will create a natural flow of air.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:59 AM

141 posts, read 211,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I left one of those cheap stick-up thermometers in the closed cabinet for several hours. Temperature ranges between 70° and 75° so far.
As we all learned in junior high science, knowledge comes from both a hypothesis and from experimental evidence. Both are necessary.

How many (maximum) watts are consumed. Each device will have a label somewhere near its power cord that lists either wattage or amps. Sum those up and provide them here to have a number that is a hypothesis. Only then will the experimental evidence (ie measuring current temperatures) create an answer without speculation. Only then can a fan (if necessary) be recommended.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
A typical cable box with DVR uses 35watts, about $8/month at average electric rates. That's far more than a computer left on but in standby mode. A cooling fan would add more. I wouldn't worry about the heat, but if you want to reduce your electric bill, turn it off when not using it. You can buy a remote control outlet socket, and leave it in the cabinet but shut off the power from your couch. They are even made with wi-fi compatibility to be controlled from your phone.

Always forget to turn plugs off? Here are five smart plugs with smartphone control - Pocket-lint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics