Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:07 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
So, I finally got a Kindle, with 3G because I don't have WiFi.

It came with NO instructions. The online instructions don't address simple things like how to turn it on and off, or how to turn 3G and WiFi off to read a book. There are no doubt other things I might want to do that aren't covered either. I don't have a tablet or a smart phone so maybe all this stuff is intuitive to those who do. I am very frustrated with it and thinking seriously about returning it.

How do I learn to use it? Do I have to buy an instruction book like with Windows?
Find the small button on the bottom edge of the Kindle and press it for about 1/2 second.
When your Kindle starts it will display an arrow of some sort, going left & Right. Take your finger and swipe it left.

Now all the start up instructions will appear, and all you have to do is follow along.

You will probably buy all your books from Amazon. We subscribe to Amazon Prime and there are tons of free books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 01:12 PM

633 posts, read 640,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I'm confused without Wifi how do you use a kindle? I have kindle fire but need wifi to use. Do they have a new one out that is like the IPad?
Some of the older kindles were "3G" enabled like a cellphone, and came with lifetime free data use.
I have one of these but haven't used it in forever. It has the physical keyboard.

It's not as good as it sounds, since the kindle is an EXTREMELY slow web browser (because its e-ink, not LCD) and monochrome to boot. The newer ones might be faster but they're not going to come anywhere close to the responsiveness of an ipad. You could use a kindle 3G to browse available titles on the kindle and download them to read, or do some very basic searching i.e. Wikipedia if you're patient.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:21 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,503 times
You can also connect your kindle to your computer via USB and download books that way. Some public libraries have kindle stations where you can plug in an download from their free ebook collections.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:29 PM

526 posts, read 900,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Mrs5150 has a Kindle and I have an iPad mini. World of difference with ease of use. iPad is easy and intuitive. The Kindle is a pain. Plus the ads!

She will get an iPad mini when her Kindle dies-it is starting to after a year and a half.

Return the Kindle.
TOTALLY disagree! iPads are awesome and they do way more than a Kindle. BUT for just reading they're inferior to a Kindle. They're not nearly as comfortable for reading as a Kindle. Kindles aren't backlit like a tablet and they're much easier on your eyes, and it's much easier to read a Kindle in sunlight than it is to read an iPad. So if all you want to do is read, keep the Kindle. Once you find a good set of instructions (as many have suggested, just google), a Kindle is extremely easy to use.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:34 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Amazon usually emails you some instructions when you buy the device (before you even have it). You might check your email for it.

All of the Kindle ereaders I have ever gotten came with like a one sheet instruction sheet that covered turning the device on and then when the Kindle boots up it will open its instruction book on how to use it. It will also be the first item in your library on the device.

Where the on switch is depends on the device - on a Paperwhite it is on the bottom near the power cable input. On a Kindle Voyage it is on the back, in the middle of the upper right quadrant.

All of these instructions are for a Kindle e-reader - there is also a Kindle Fire tablet and that is completely different.

I read a great deal and I MUCH prefer the ereaders for fiction, much better than tablets (like an ipad or Kindle Fire or Samsung Galaxy). I use a tablet for email, minor web surfing, music, music sheet software, audio books, games.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:14 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
https://www.overdrive.com/

You can get free ebooks from your library without even leaving home with overdrive.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
My old Kindle Touch has 3G and WiFi. WiFi overrides 3G if it's available. It piggybacks off my computer's WiFi. A really nice Help Lady at Amazon spent a good deal of her time upgrading it for me from 3G only.

Once a book is downloaded, you don't have to worry about having either. You don't need to be connect to read a book just to buy them. I have another old Kindle II and I can still read the books on them without being hooked up to anything. You can download books from your computer to your Kindle but it's kind of a hassle.

I got my instructions by searching Amazon's website and downloaded them onto my device. It was a hand-me-down Kindle so it didn't come with any kind of help and the person who gave it to me couldn't remember the basics as how to begin.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:41 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
I love my Kindle. I've had an old version with keyboard for years. It's free to use, since I have wi-fi. (iPads cost $ to use, and more $ to buy) Amazon subsidizes my Kindle so that it is completely free. I download free ebooks, so cost to use Kindle is nothing. (I don't know if Amazon still subsidizes Kindles.)

Using a Kindle is not the same experience as reading a real book. It's not as enjoyable. But it's a good way to keep a lot of books w/o taking up space, and a lot easier to carry around.

Once you turn it on (after it's fully charged), you will find a USER GUIDE on your Kindle. That is your operator manual.

How you turn on the 3G, on MINE, anyway, is:
Press MENU
Press SETTINGS
There you will have to REGISTER your kindle
There you will have a place to NAME YOUR DEVICE
If you want to ever use wi-fi, that's where you enter your home wi-fi account info (WI-FI SETTINGS)
That where you set a PASSWORD for your device, if you want to do that
I don't think you have to set up 3G. The Kindle just automatically uses a nearby 3G tower.
That's where the version of the software loaded on your Kindle is identified, too.

Press MENU again to go back to menu.
Click on TURN WIRELESS ON.
Then click on SYNC & CHECK FOR ITEMS to see if there is a newer version of the software. NOTE: 3G MAY BE TOO SLOW TO DOWNLOAD UPDATED SOFTWARE. In order to do that, I think you have to get a ubs plugin, and plug your Kindle in to a computer, and download updated software directly from the computer into your Kindle.

You can set up categories for the different kinds of books you download. ("Nonfiction," "Financial," "Classic Fiction," etc.)

Old 04-12-2016, 04:02 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I'm confused without Wifi how do you use a kindle? I have kindle fire but need wifi to use. Do they have a new one out that is like the IPad?
I got the one with a 3G connection

Old 04-12-2016, 04:09 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Amazon usually emails you some instructions when you buy the device (before you even have it). You might check your email for it.

All of the Kindle ereaders I have ever gotten came with like a one sheet instruction sheet that covered turning the device on and then when the Kindle boots up it will open its instruction book on how to use it. It will also be the first item in your library on the device.

Where the on switch is depends on the device - on a Paperwhite it is on the bottom near the power cable input. On a Kindle Voyage it is on the back, in the middle of the upper right quadrant.

All of these instructions are for a Kindle e-reader - there is also a Kindle Fire tablet and that is completely different.

I read a great deal and I MUCH prefer the ereaders for fiction, much better than tablets (like an ipad or Kindle Fire or Samsung Galaxy). I use a tablet for email, minor web surfing, music, music sheet software, audio books, games.
Thanks. I did read the very basic instructions they sent me for my Paperwhite and clicked on the links, but it didn't say where the On button was. There were no instructions at all in the box. I did finally find the On button myself and found fairly decent HowTo instructions on the Kindle itself, but first you have to know how to turn it on. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics