Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 06:30 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times

Advertisements

Printing to an HP printer from Android phone

I got a new printer yesterday (HP Envy for about $80). I downloaded an app from HP because they said it could print directly from a phone. The first .pdf file printed completely. A second more complicated graph on .pdf file printed 80%. A photo printed about 10% and stopped.

It looks like a memory issue.

(1) Theory one
A computer feeds data to a printer in quantities that it can handle, and may involve several transfers to print a dense image like a photo. A phone can't do that

(2) Theory two
I didn't buy a printer with enough memory

(3) Theory three
There must be a cloud storage for the phone allowing me to print a whole document

(4) Theory four
The first three theories are mindless speculation. Can you help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 07:11 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Let me ask you this first: is said printer hooked to a computer?

Old 05-02-2016, 09:13 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
most all-in-one hp printers are essentially a palm webos tablet computer duct taped to an expensive ink cartridge.

what model # is it ?; not sure if its one of the newer ones where you attach it to your wifi router and give it an email address so that it will automatedly open attachments and print them.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:52 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It wasn't at the time, but now it is hooked up to an ASUS with Linux Fedora 20 operating system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
most all-in-one hp printers are essentially a palm webos tablet computer duct taped to an expensive ink cartridge.

what model # is it ?; not sure if its one of the newer ones where you attach it to your wifi router and give it an email address so that it will automatedly open attachments and print them.
HP ENVY 4520

Old 05-03-2016, 08:56 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
You have Chrome? A Google account? I've always had issues with that HP app. Once I swtched to Cloud Printing all my trouble went away.

https://www.google.com/cloudprint/#printers

I can even print to my printer when I am not at home. Or print to my work printers when I am not there.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:29 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Printing to an HP printer from Android phone

I got a new printer yesterday (HP Envy for about $80). I downloaded an app from HP because they said it could print directly from a phone. The first .pdf file printed completely. A second more complicated graph on .pdf file printed 80%. A photo printed about 10% and stopped.

It looks like a memory issue.

(1) Theory one
A computer feeds data to a printer in quantities that it can handle, and may involve several transfers to print a dense image like a photo. A phone can't do that

(2) Theory two
I didn't buy a printer with enough memory

(3) Theory three
There must be a cloud storage for the phone allowing me to print a whole document

(4) Theory four
The first three theories are mindless speculation. Can you help me?
The printer has an email address which is given access when you connected your smartphone to your home network or was given access when you gave it your router IP and password. Thus it doesn't matter if the computer is on or not.

This link may aid in finding a resolution:

Solved: My HP ENVY 4500 wont print - HP Support Forum - 3018769

HP Printers - Printing from Android Smartphones or Tablets | HP® Customer Support

Old 05-10-2016, 08:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We have an Envy and no problems printing to it from the Android. I wonder if it's losing the signal from weak Wi-Fi, to the printer. Try locating it closer to the wireless router and see if that solves the problem. If so, you may need a signal booster between the router and printer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics