U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2017, 08:31 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
5,009 posts, read 3,500,338 times
Reputation: 5898

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Be aware that Bluetooth is low fidelity because its bandwidth is so narrow. Does not seem to matter to most people, who use it for cheap headphones or cheap speakers, but you would not want it in an expensive system with good speakers.
Doesn't matter since when I use BT I'm usually playing mp3's which are also low fidelity. It serves it's purpose. I have BT on my home audio receiver and play music from my phone. It's the ultimate in convenience. The only exception is when I'm playing FLAC's which are higher quality. If I was playing CD's I wouldn't be using BT.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2017, 11:39 AM
 
3,453 posts, read 2,270,367 times
Reputation: 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Doesn't matter since when I use BT I'm usually playing mp3's which are also low fidelity. It serves it's purpose. I have BT on my home audio receiver and play music from my phone. It's the ultimate in convenience. The only exception is when I'm playing FLAC's which are higher quality. If I was playing CD's I wouldn't be using BT.
But you just stated it does matter! FLAC and CDs. 'nuf said
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 PM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
5,009 posts, read 3,500,338 times
Reputation: 5898
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
But you just stated it does matter! FLAC and CDs. 'nuf said
I have over 90k songs in my collection and probably less than a 1000 are FLAC's. I don't rip to FLAC because they take up too much space. I ripped my entire CD collection a few years back so most of those are 320k MP3's. I don't think I've put a CD in my player in over 3 years. I stream almost exclusively. BT is good enough for me and for most unless you are an audiophile or Neil Young, lol. I've noticed no difference between BT and using an 3.5mm audio cable because the source is already compressed. BT is convenient but what I don't like about it is that you have to be in line-of-sight for it to work right and it has limited range. It was not designed for what most use it for.

You could use Airplay (Apple) or DLNA for wireless sound although it's nowhere near as popular as BT. Those technologies do not degrade the sound. Play-Fi is another new technology that looks promising. It uses a local Wifi network to transmit the sound.

What You Might Not Know About Bluetooth
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2017, 12:59 PM
 
14,256 posts, read 16,294,567 times
Reputation: 13759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Hi all:

I grow weary of listening to my classical music on an iPod, and would like to put together some sort of home system. I live in an apartment, so, I would want to be respectful to my neighbors my not making a lot of noise, meaning, I do not think I need 1000 watts of anything etc., Anyways, not sure which way to go...some sort of all-in-one shelf system or put together components (CD player, speakers, and amplifier). I do not want to spend tons of money but, would like something that will last a long time and really helps to hear the beautiful sounds of Mozart, Chopin, and Beethoven.

Appreciate your ideas...

thanks..
I have a Rotel receiver and CD player hooked up to Wharfedale speakers. The quality difference compared to an Ipod is about 1000:1 and it is significantly better than my previous setup which was Denon (but the same speakers).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2017, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
17,686 posts, read 31,384,662 times
Reputation: 13754
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Be aware that Bluetooth is low fidelity because its bandwidth is so narrow. Does not seem to matter to most people, who use it for cheap headphones or cheap speakers, but you would not want it in an expensive system with good speakers.
I imagine that a Sonos powered speaker would work for the OP's budget. Bluetooth is finicky sometimes. For example, microwave ovens and other electrical appliances can interfere with it. But once you have found the right location for the speaker, then it's OK.

Sonos uses Wi-Fi, I believe, but I use both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth depending on what speaker I use (Bluetooth speakers can be used anywhere away from home, and Wi-Fi speakers are limited to a place with Wi-Fi):
Sonos WiFi vs. Bluetooth Speakers: Comparison | Sonos
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2017, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Berkeley, Denver, CO USA
15,791 posts, read 23,745,735 times
Reputation: 27149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Budget is...less than $500. Timewise, no rush. Asterisks? No reason..
Not what is your timeframe, but what is labor hours budget? How much time are you willing to put in?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 12:12 PM
 
Location: NC
7,771 posts, read 10,136,305 times
Reputation: 16405
Old thread but here goes. I do not have a single device in my new home that is being used to receive music. The choices seem overwhelming and I don't understand the terminology.

But having retired I now have plenty of time to listen indoors and would appreciate someone passing along suggestions as to a good basic system for home use. Someone suggest Bose, but can I use that with a subscription service?

I once had a trial system on my computer where you could ask for music "like" a song you played. Does that still exist? My budget is only limited to be commensurate with what I'm getting, and something that won't be obsolete next year. Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Berkeley, Denver, CO USA
15,791 posts, read 23,745,735 times
Reputation: 27149
Default Storage is cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I have over 90k songs in my collection and probably less than a 1000 are FLAC's. I don't rip to FLAC because they take up too much space.
Bogus argument.
Let's say that one CD ripped to FLAC is 500 MB.
That means that 1000 CDs is 500 000 MB, or 500 GB. Or 1/2 TB.
A 3 TB external drive drive costs $135. That is 6000 CDs. You paid $90,000 for those CDs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 01:29 PM
 
3,453 posts, read 2,270,367 times
Reputation: 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Bogus argument.
Let's say that one CD ripped to FLAC is 500 MB.
That means that 1000 CDs is 500 000 MB, or 500 GB. Or 1/2 TB.
A 3 TB external drive drive costs $135. That is 6000 CDs. You paid $90,000 for those CDs.
Bogus? Maybe not. What if he wants to load things on his cell phone? How many 1/2 terabyte cell phones are in the wild now?

Just saying
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2019, 08:20 AM
 
1,969 posts, read 686,976 times
Reputation: 5073
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Old thread but here goes. I do not have a single device in my new home that is being used to receive music. The choices seem overwhelming and I don't understand the terminology.

But having retired I now have plenty of time to listen indoors and would appreciate someone passing along suggestions as to a good basic system for home use. Someone suggest Bose, but can I use that with a subscription service?

I once had a trial system on my computer where you could ask for music "like" a song you played. Does that still exist? My budget is only limited to be commensurate with what I'm getting, and something that won't be obsolete next year. Any suggestions?
So, when you say 'home use' are you saying a basic system that you would sit in front of and listen to music 'old school' or something that just plays music thru a speaker for multi-tasking?

And what subscription service are you interested in? There are many on-line/internet radio stations that play music for free.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top