Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 07:02 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,919,809 times

Advertisements

Just recently, was scouring the free section of CL and come across a 4k 55 in samsung tv that was free. The issue was it would power on for about 10 mins and go off. The LCD is perfectly fine and so is the power board, or it wouldn't come on. I snatch it up, and take a look at it and its the main board. Do some research and found the same board on ebay for 25 bucks, and for added security, i grab some other parts 10 dollars. So a 2k tv that the guy gave away, i got it working for less than 50 bucks.

So not sure why you would throw them away and go buy a new one when you can fix it for far less than getting a new one. Unless you got deep pockets to spend. Think i might have me a side job business if i can keep coming across gems like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 09:28 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,028,228 times
I just had my 2013 LG 42LA6200 3D smart tv go dead last night. When you turned it on, it would "flash" the video for a second, then go dead. You could still hear audio. I held a flashlight to the screen, and you could see some movement. So, backlight wasn't lighting up. These no longer have florescent backlighting where the inverter boards go bad. They have strips of high-powered leds. I watched a Youtube video that showed how they tear down.

Apparently, the leds are in series like old Christmas tree lights. If one blows out as an "open" the entire strip can go dead. With this tv, it caused the led power supply to trip out.

I tore down the whole set (really scary, as the actual lcd screen is almost as thin as paper, and can easily crack if flexed) I tested the leds with a power supply to see which ones lit up. I isolated the bad one, and since I didn't have a replacement on hand, I jumpered it. Now all of them work except this one bad one. You can't even notice it's missing, but I do have a new led strip on order. There's 5 leds per strip.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I just had my 2013 LG 42LA6200 3D smart tv go dead last night. When you turned it on, it would "flash" the video for a second, then go dead. You could still hear audio. I held a flashlight to the screen, and you could see some movement. So, backlight wasn't lighting up. These no longer have florescent backlighting where the inverter boards go bad. They have strips of high-powered leds. I watched a Youtube video that showed how they tear down.

Apparently, the leds are in series like old Christmas tree lights. If one blows out as an "open" the entire strip can go dead. With this tv, it caused the led power supply to trip out.

I tore down the whole set (really scary, as the actual lcd screen is almost as thin as paper, and can easily crack if flexed) I tested the leds with a power supply to see which ones lit up. I isolated the bad one, and since I didn't have a replacement on hand, I jumpered it. Now all of them work except this one bad one. You can't even notice it's missing, but I do have a new led strip on order. There's 5 leds per strip.
Yep, its all about knowing how to research, most would have just thrown it out if they got the funds to go get a new one. From what i been doing, anything over 50 inches and the screen is in good shape/backlight its worth fixing. Parts are from 20 bucks to 200 at most. Anything less than 50 is case by case. Simple fact that you can get a good 42 inch at 300 at most places. and thats 4k. Unknown brands, but its cost vs repair. still looking at the same amount for the parts.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:42 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,024,169 times
I got 3 "bad" monitors from a client that they had already replaced. Gateway 20" 16:10 with portrait/landscape stands. A bit of research and an order of a replacement capacitor set, and about an hour of work a piece to get running. All three lasted about 3 years before the PSU board died, likely from the strain from the bad caps that I replaced. $10 each for 3 years of service was worth it. Still using the stands with the replacement 21" 16:10's.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:41 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,516,152 times
These things are easy for us that know our way around a circuit board, how to solder, and how to troubleshoot. How many folks can say that? Their choice is to pay someone 100+ for labor, parts at 10x what we pay (factory parts, you know), and repair folks that really want to sell you a new set anyway. Oh yea, you gotta drag it into the shop too, with no box...

No wonder we get such finds.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:58 PM

8,944 posts, read 11,804,518 times
My 3 year old LG 32'' TV died recently. It started showing two black dots on the screen and over time it became dimmer and dimmer. Now there is almost no light. The TV is basically unwatchable. I paid $150 for it, so that's about $50 a year. I was about to trash it, but should I?

Old 01-17-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
My 3 year old LG 32'' TV died recently. It started showing two black dots on the screen and over time it became dimmer and dimmer. Now there is almost no light. The TV is basically unwatchable. I paid $150 for it, so that's about $50 a year. I was about to trash it, but should I?
if u can give us model and pic that will help. Im sure we can come up with a good idea on what to replace. sounds like the backlight went out. so depending on model wont know..

Old 01-18-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
if u can give us model and pic that will help. Im sure we can come up with a good idea on what to replace. sounds like the backlight went out. so depending on model wont know..
Thanks. The model is 32LB5800. I removed the front and back to try to get to the LEDs. Now I am stuck at the diffuser panel. Just don't know how to get it out.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:49 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,028,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf5T...st=WL&index=28

It's pretty easy to take the diffusers off. My 3D tv has TWO of them. The scariest part of the whole thing, is removing the actual lcd screen. One tiny little crack, and it's game over.

I used this video, even though it's not my exact tv set.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:26 PM

Awesome video! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics