Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 11:32 AM

19,362 posts, read 27,580,268 times

Advertisements

We have two stocked freezers in our garage, and suffer with occasional power failures. When we are home, this is not a problem; however, when we travel, we are concerned that the power will fail. We would like to install a camera so that we can go online to an app and see in REAL TIME if the power light is on on the GSI Wall Plug. (allowing us to call a neighbor to deal with the situation. We live in THAT kind of wonderful neighborhood! )

We don't need high quality for this purpose, or a high price. We need something easy to install and a user friendly app interface. The house has wifi that has a strong signal in the garage. I'm finding that most cameras seem to send a signal only when they detect motion. That's not going to work for our purpose.

Suggestions, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 11:41 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,867,228 times
How do you plan to power the camera? How is your wifi working without power?

You need to solve the above issue first. If it is not an issue then.

This is one of my older Foscam camera that send me snapshot of detected motion. I am also able to view the camera live anytime through a web browser.

Here is a sample snap shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Single security camera with android app for real time viewing?-00626e477f7a-front-_m20170217101119.jpg  

Last edited by sj08054; 02-17-2017 at 11:51 AM..

Old 02-17-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
How do you plan to power the camera? How is your wifi working without power?
Good question. I should have explained this better.

The power issue is limited to a wiring issue with GSI switches that occasionally flip, causing the power failure to the freezers. The two freezers are plugged into these GSI Switches. When the GSI flips, somebody just needs to go flip the GSI switch to restore power.

The camera will be plugged into an electric outlet on the ceiling, which is not affected by the wiring issue on the GSI switches. The wifi is powered from inside the house, totally unrelated to the GSI switches.

(Yes, I know that we could have this whole thing fixed, but a licensed electrician would be required. This isn't a big problem for us - the GSI flips only a couple of times a year. We're just protecting the freezers when we travel.)

I'm looking at this one https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B019MMRV...01ICTLOBO?th=1

Old 02-17-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

The power issue is limited to a wiring issue with GSI switches that occasionally flip, causing the power failure to the freezers. The two freezers are plugged into these GSI Switches. When the GSI flips, somebody just needs to go flip the GSI switch to restore power.

The camera will be plugged into an electric outlet on the ceiling, which is not affected by the wiring issue on the GSI switches. The wifi is powered from inside the house, totally unrelated to the GSI switches.

(Yes, I know that we could have this whole thing fixed, but a licensed electrician would be required. This isn't a big problem for us - the GSI flips only a couple of times a year. We're just protecting the freezers when we travel.)

I think you mean GFI.

Yes.. it makes sense that you have GFI outlets in the garage. While GFI do fail but you may want to address the issue of why your GFI is tripping. Do you have both fridge on the same outlet?

I am not familiar with the Yi camera but this Chinese company has gotten big the last few years. The sample picture I posted is from a Foscam outdoor camera that is a few years old. Foscam is under a different name now but that camera was less than $100 at the time. It is easy to set up and does have nigh vision. You will need that since it's the garage.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:35 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,960,234 times
Quote:

Wouldn't a short heavy gauge extension cord, and then plugging the freezer into the ceiling electric outlet when you are traveling be a much cheaper solution?

I know I'd do that. Freezers don't need to be on GFCI lines. In fact, a current leak through your freezer is probably what's causing the GFCI to trip in the first place.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Wouldn't a short heavy gauge extension cord, and then plugging the freezer into the ceiling electric outlet when you are traveling be a much cheaper solution?

I know I'd do that. Freezers don't need to be on GFCI lines. In fact, a current leak through your freezer is probably what's causing the GFCI to trip in the first place.
Which is what we have been doing. But that solution requires 73 year old DH to climb on ladders prior to our trip and when we return.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:26 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,786,514 times
Quote:
Which is what we have been doing. But that solution requires 73 year old DH to climb on ladders prior to our trip and when we return.
If what you have to do (Climb up and connect) will work while on vacation, why not plug in once and then leave it there ?

Old 02-19-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If what you have to do (Climb up and connect) will work while on vacation, why not plug in once and then leave it there ?
Because not all outlets are equal. Plugging high amperage appliances on a non dedicated outlet is not a good idea.

The correct solution requires an electrician or someone familiar with electrical codes. I am guessing OP has both fridge plugged into the same GFI outlet. That GFI outlet is probably not even 20A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics