Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 07:23 AM

155 posts, read 156,385 times

Advertisements

I think that page in the manual is generic. This particular Sanyo has no tuner; no RF connections at all. It's pretty much composite in/out only. So, unless the cable tuner has composite outputs, some sort of adapter would be needed.

If there's an A/V receiver in the picture, it might be possible to use that to convert from a HDMI cable signal to composite. The manufacturers have done a lot of work to make this hard to do -- copyright law and all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 08:04 AM

7 posts, read 9,176 times
Hi gguerra,

The manual states I have a coaxial input however, the type is an RCA jack type and NOT the standard screw-on type. I hooked it up as you suggested with the red, white and yellow composite. I ran the wires it came with out from the cable box to the DVD/VCR input. I need to get another set to run from the DVD/VCR output to the TV input I guess. and then select composite on my TV to view the signal. I'm sure that will work once I hook up the other set.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:16 AM

tatanka01,

You are 100% correct. I remember the day when it was simple to connect a unit and away you went. I have an old Phillips DVD-R that uses +R DVDs to record. Granted it's only 480p but that was the best picture you could get at that time. With all of the pirating I don't blame the manufacturers as they're getting ripped off big time. It's partly their own fault with all of the high costs of seeing a movie at the theaters. I wait until it hits DVD and then wait for the price to drop, then I buy the movie. I'd rather spend $10 on a DVD than $20 on a movie ticket plus the drinks and popcorn, etc. You get the picture.

I'm so used to the HD in 1080p that having to downgrade to 480p is a shell-shock. At least I can transfer the self-recorded VHS tapes of functions and the like that I attended and recorded back in the 80's to DVD. Because this DVD player only uses the -R DVDs I have to buy some. to try it out.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:52 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTheHawk View Post
I recently purchased a Sanyo FWZV475F DVD Recorder / VCR Line-In Recording. I live in Central New York and have Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable) as my provider. The Sanyo is connected to my TV via an HDMI cable and works just fine. I'm trying to record from cable but have just learned that the best I can do is record in 480p mode or less.

My question is this; the cable box has the component connections but, I need to get the cable signal from the cable box to the DVD/VCR player. There is no way to do that unless I purchase an external tuner. Now, how do I figure out which one I need to buy? I'd like to do it right the first time without having to return a handful of them. Also, the back of the DVD/VCR shows a hookup called "coaxial digital audio out" The connector in fact is not the standard coaxial connection. The connector is similar to an RCA jack.

In any event, which external tuner do I need? I know that whichever one I use I will have to have the cable box set to the station I want to record and won't be able to watch another station while recording.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
I don't believe you're going to be too successful accomplishing your goals with this DVD/VCR combo. This is why people rent the HD-DVR with their service, because that HD DVR doubles as the tuner and recorder. The new ones can also record several programs at once. The downfall is that you have to deal with the rental of the box on your cable bill each month, but it's by far the easiest way to record your programming. Your other option is to buy a Tivo. If you can find an HD Tivo DVR that comes with lifetime subscription and is compatible with cable, then that's the other option I'd go for. The newer Tivo machines can do anything the rented DVR from the cable company can do. The only difference is, you might have to pick up a cable card from your cable company that the machine would need in order to give you access to the cable packages you have. But still, both of these options are the very easiest way to record your HD programming.

If you insist on wanting to keep the programming on DVD, then it's possible, but there are more steps involved. It would consist of hooking up an external drive to your DVR, transferring the programs to it, and then hooking that external drive to your computer. And then from there, having the DVD drive ( would suggest a Blu-ray burner) capable of burning the programs to a disc.

Unfortunately, recording live TV the old fashioned way just doesn't seem to be as doable as it once was.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:24 PM

Hey skinsguy37

I'm afraid your right. I guess I will have to use it to dub my VHS TO DVD to get that part accomplished at the very least. I'll just keep using my old DVD recorder/player as it doesn't recognize the copyright garbage they have out today. The only drawback is the screen cannot playback in full screen once recorded. Beggars can't be chooser so I'll settle for 480p.

Thanks to everyone who has assisted me with this. You're all great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics