Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 03:39 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,028,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
Hi Group,

I'm the O.P. on this topic....

Yes, It lights up, and I was able to configure the unit to connect to my Wi-Fi network, set stations into memory, everything else seems to work ok, just no sound?

And I just tried it today with headphones, and no sound.

What do you think?

I'm trying to explore all ideas, before I have to send it back to Amazon, you know?

Thanks!

Irv in CT.

Does it have a menu in its display, for configurations, settings? Look for a headphone volume control - that might also affect the line-out(RCA) levels.

Guess I just refuse to believe this piece of 21st century is a dud, and I won't give up on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Does it have a menu in its display, for configurations, settings? Look for a headphone volume control - that might also affect the line-out(RCA) levels.

Guess I just refuse to believe this piece of 21st century EQUIPMENT is a dud, and I won't give up on it!
see edit in caps.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The manual has a typo error. It has RCA jacks in the rear.

I knew it had RCA outs in back from when I first looked at it. A check of the photos of the unit on Amazon confirmed it. Been in this business a long time.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:50 AM

Screen cap: Yes, that should read RCA outs, not 3.5mm(mini). Also, read that last sentence - weird or what? Try turning volume on the WFT-1 up at least half-way, then check what you hear on your stereo system. What input is the WFT-1 connected to on your receiver?

Old 07-11-2017, 08:10 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Screen cap: Yes, that should read RCA outs, not 3.5mm(mini). Also, read that last sentence - weird or what? Try turning volume on the WFT-1 up at least half-way, then check what you hear on your stereo system. What input is the WFT-1 connected to on your receiver?
Whomever wrote the manual and whomever proof read the manual hopefully have changed fields. Seems neither knew the difference between a line level signal and a amplified signal.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:22 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,481,617 times
Quote:
Whomever wrote the manual and whomever proof read the manual hopefully have changed fields. Seems neither knew the difference between a line level signal and a amplified signal.
What is the difference? IIRC, line level is amplified, just to a known level to ensure equipment interoperatability. It's why you can use anyone's tuner with anyone's amp in consumer space.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:53 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
What is the difference? IIRC, line level is amplified, just to a known level to ensure equipment interoperatability. It's why you can use anyone's tuner with anyone's amp in consumer space.
Picky, picky, picky....

Fine, I'll add five words bfd:

Quote:
Whomever wrote the manual and whomever proof read the manual hopefully have changed fields. Seems neither knew the difference between a line level signal output and a amplified signal output used for headphones.

And you spelled interoperatability wrong, the correct spelling is interoperability .

Old 07-11-2017, 05:13 PM

Now that the spelling lesson is over, can you answer my question? Is there a difference? It was not a rhetorical question.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Now that the spelling lesson is over, can you answer my question? Is there a difference? It was not a rhetorical question.
The correct terminologies are: Line-level(fixed) and Speaker-level(variable). Both are "amplified", but in different senses.

The signal coming out of RCA jacks, or out of a mixer, is typically Line-level, though consumer and pro have different standards for it: Consumer is typically fixed at -10 to -4dB, Pro is usually +4dB.

The signal coming out of speaker terminals and headphone jacks is Speaker level. It can be varied, usually via a volume or attenuator control, from infinitely below Line-level to up to thousands of times higher.

What we are trying to do, or at least I am, is to find out if something just needs to be 'turned up' or enabled on the O.P.'s device, in order to get sound through his system. I do see volume buttons on this devices remote. It would also be helpful to know the name of the input he has the WFT-1 connected to on his receiver.

Here is the link I forgot to post yesterday, PDF of the user manual:

http://www.sangean.com/support/downl...FT-1_GB_R1.pdf

Old 07-12-2017, 07:24 AM

You forgot to mention the biggest difference between Line-level and Speaker-level. That is impedence and power. The former is a high impedence, low power output where very little power is sent from the source. Speaker outputs are generally 4 or 8 ohms(let's ignore things like 70 volt outputs) and send lots more power, the maximum amount a design feature of the device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics