Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Would You Like Your TV Adjusted
1. Settings Accurately Calibrated so you see exactly what is on a DVD or is being transmitted over air 2 33.33%
2. Setting them the way you like, despite penalties against accuracy 3 50.00%
3. Factory Defaults - Everything Cranked To High Heaven! 1 16.67%
4. What Settings - 'If it aint broke don't fix it!' 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 06:57 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Settings... just few, more like a customization. Other than that, TV works so I am not fooling with it...
Did I explored every function? I KNOW I didn't. But I am not much of a TV person anyway.
That's my job. Just sit back and let me work my magic. You'll have a better picture, reduced eyestrain during prolonged viewing, and longer set life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 07:15 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Questionable taste in content production has nothing to do with making sure ones TV does not alter/add/detract from content displayed on it.
Precisely, but spoken in geek.

I prefer to add to my experience, even if that alters what a producer intended. Producers are not G*d.

An easy example is that I have LPs where I KNOW (factual understanding of the cutting of the records) that compression was used on certain sequences to avoid having to pull the entire track down to a point the "mud" would become objectionable. I could set my reproduction equipment to meet SMPTE standards and be perfectly content that I was being a good little boy and obeying my superiors. Instead, on a very few tracks, where it is important to me, I ride the faders and GE to get what was the artist's intended experience.

I know, I know, the easy rejoinder is that I'm talking audio from a different era, and this is video. I don't buy that, don't care. L.O.A. was resurrected from faded prints in a brilliant fashion, but I STILL remember the original presentations. Sabucat is great, but I want to see what I remember. If that means tweaking, I will.

This all boils down to the old argument of "This is the way it was handed down to us by those with great understanding, knowledge, and power - and therefore the only way we should experience it." vs. "I knew the artist, he was a drunk and drug user, and while he was brilliant he played B# and a quarter note when he should have played Bb and a half note - but everyone was so awed they thought it was intentional."

Old 07-26-2017, 07:26 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Factory default settings are lot better than some of the 'custom' settings I've seen on friends and relatives TV's. Too many people think they need to improve the visuals of 'Gone with the Wind and 'The wizard of Oz".

Old 07-26-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Factory default settings are lot better than some of the 'custom' settings I've seen on friends and relatives TV's. Too many people think they need to improve the visuals of 'Gone with the Wind and 'The wizard of Oz".
But neither those factory settings, or the custom(personal preference) settings, are accurate, as in, rendering the TV transparent to what is passed through it. And those factory settings, typically 'Vivid' or Dynamic mode, may actually shorten your display's life. Backlight cranked all the way up, every so-called enhancement enabled, color in neon mode. Makes GWTW or Oz look like a cartoon, to be truthful.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:55 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Old joke among UK techs,
NTSC = never the same color.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:22 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
You can adjust your settings any way you wish, just remember though there is only one accurate adjustment for each setting, as determined by SMPTE-approved reference test patterns available on DVD, Blu Ray, or on line. You will not be seeing movies and TV shows as their producers intended, even if you 'like' what you see, if setting to 'personal preference'.

I calibrate TVs part-time, and there are people who are both pleased and stunned by the realism of a calibrated image. Calibration ensures that a display neither adds nor subtracts anything to or from whatever it is displaying. It allows your TV or projector to become a window to whatever is on the other side. Most of my clients would never accept personal preference again.
How do you know my calibration isn't correct? Show me the calibration numbers for a 70 inch Vizio and I'll tell you how far off I am with my calibration settings.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
How do you know my calibration isn't correct? Show me the calibration numbers for a 70 inch Vizio and I'll tell you how far off I am with my calibration settings.
Did you perform at least a basic level calibration: Brightness, Contrast, Color, Hue, Sharpness with patterns on a calibration DVD? Turn off all the Advance bells & whistles in advance? Then you should be at least 80% of the way toward the best your TV can perform. The remaining 20% is advanced calibration: Color temperature & flat grayscale.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:03 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Did you perform at least a basic level calibration: Brightness, Contrast, Color, Hue, Sharpness with patterns on a calibration DVD? Turn off all the Advance bells & whistles in advance? Then you should be at least 80% of the way toward the best your TV can perform. The remaining 20% is advanced calibration: Color temperature & flat grayscale.
I did a complete calibration using numbers tested and posted on CNet.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
That's my job. Just sit back and let me work my magic. You'll have a better picture, reduced eyestrain during prolonged viewing, and longer set life.
I could try it. But how?

Old 08-08-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I could try it. But how?
Only if you lived in Westchester or Fairfield Counties, which are a lot closer than in TX. Got a blue ray player? Purchase "Digital Video Essentials HD version and play around with it. Might surprise yourself how easy it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics