Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 12:38 PM

42,742 posts, read 25,909,163 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a streaming service that offers PBS? I am looking at the services with a DVR, like Vue, YouTube TV and Hulu but none of them seem to offer PBS. I understand that I can use an antenna and watch the local PBS station through that but I usually record my favorite PBS programs to my xfinity DVR and watch them later. Our Xfinity service which is one of the 'cheaper packages' has gone up from $140 to $204, that includes our internet service but it's just too much money for what we are getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 01:07 PM

8,867 posts, read 11,651,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Does anyone know of a streaming service that offers PBS? I am looking at the services with a DVR, like Vue, YouTube TV and Hulu but none of them seem to offer PBS. I understand that I can use an antenna and watch the local PBS station through that but I usually record my favorite PBS programs to my xfinity DVR and watch them later. Our Xfinity service which is one of the 'cheaper packages' has gone up from $140 to $204, that includes our internet service but it's just too much money for what we are getting.
Perhaps this might work:

https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream_Plus_p/cm-7600.htm

Old 04-29-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Thanks so much, I will take a look at that. I also saw something called AirTV, they advertise it on Sling but I can't figure out if it works with the services other than Sling and Sling seems to be more expensive than some of the other services.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:21 PM

8,867 posts, read 11,651,647 times
Quote:
Thanks so much, I will take a look at that. I also saw something called AirTV, they advertise it on Sling but I can't figure out if it works with the services other than Sling and Sling seems to be more expensive than some of the other services.
AirTV doesn't let you record.

The Channelmaster stream+ is brand new and is still going through the initial bugs. Might want to wait a few months for the kinks to be worked out.

If you have a computer running Windows 7, SiliconDust makes some popular OTA DVRs. I have been using one for about 7 years now and have recorded many PBS science, music, and nature shows with it. With your internet wifi, you can watch shows on your laptops, phones, tablets, etc.

Also, there are two ways to record shows: with or without internet. This is very useful in the event your internet is down.

https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/

Old 04-29-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
AirTV doesn't let you record.

The Channelmaster stream+ is brand new and is still going through the initial bugs. Might want to wait a few months for the kinks to be worked out.

If you have a computer running Windows 7, SiliconDust makes some popular OTA DVRs. I have been using one for about 7 years now and have recorded many PBS science, music, and nature shows with it. With your internet wifi, you can watch shows on your laptops, phones, tablets, etc.

Also, there are two ways to record shows: with or without internet. This is very useful in the event your internet is down.

https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/
AirTV just launched a DVR service, but in any case it works with Sling DVR
https://www.slashgear.com/airtv-play...t-tv-26521121/

I looked at the products in your link and they look great for OTA but I would like something that combines streaming TV and OTA into one interface and can record both to the same DVR, I hope that makes sense

Old 01-30-2019, 09:28 AM

256 posts, read 67,216 times
Has anyone heard of or seen anything new on the market which can do both in the ensuing nine months since the previous post?

Old 01-31-2019, 11:42 PM

971 posts, read 534,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Start with an antenna, work from there.
Agreed. If you haven't used an antenna, understand that over-the-air TV reception can be tricky depending on where you live.

I cut the cord a short while ago, but rarely watched cable for several months before that while I waited for the contract to expire. With antenna, Netflix, YouTube, and the free apps on my BD player, I'm set.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:19 PM

14,612 posts, read 17,308,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Agreed. If you haven't used an antenna, understand that over-the-air TV reception can be tricky depending on where you live.
Britain has a much better over the air system compared to the USA. About 1 out of 3 households watch Freeview, and an app is provided called "catch up TV" to watch shows if you missed them.
https://www.freeview.co.uk/#cryPPEmxi66ZTgdF.97

Old 02-04-2019, 08:22 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,098,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Britain has a much better over the air system compared to the USA. About 1 out of 3 households watch Freeview, and an app is provided called "catch up TV" to watch shows if you missed them.
https://www.freeview.co.uk/#cryPPEmxi66ZTgdF.97
The UK is smaller than Texas, so with its density makes OTA and other systems easier.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,517,935 times
Quote:
Roku has a PBS app but to get some programs you have to pay for a “premium” level membership
Like CBS is over the air but there is no CBS streaming app that lets people watch for free
The CBS streaming service does offer some shows not on OTA transmission but think you can also get regular programming thru it...

If you have browser capability with your streaming device—meaning you can go to an Internet site like PBS.com you can access and watch some shows via browser vs app

I have an older iPad that can’t update and download some apps from the App Store
Like Hulu quite working for me because the App was outdated
But I think I can sign in via my browser w/my email and Hulu account info and watch streaming on my older iPad w/o using the Hulu app
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics