Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 04:44 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

In our electronic world, it seems that things suddenly disappear without much of a warning. Sometimes, it is because they are bought out, like the VHS storage cabinet. One month they were on the shelves then POOF, gone.

Like the VCR where the announcement came through that the last company stopped building them and then, they were gone from the open market.

Okay, this is not a woe for the disappearance of the VCR but rather if one medium can disappear in a snap, who is to say another can't? Right now, looking around the stores, there seems to be lots of DVD and Blu Ray players, but the recorder market seems to be fading. Spindles of blanks are minimal at Best Buy and perhaps questionable at other stores and recorders other than for computers are gone.

Perhaps the recording to +R/-R is disappearing but will the same happen to the just playing of the disk?

If so, how does one upgrade especially if they are like me who have thousands of DVDs. What do we put them on so we are not endlessly paying for the same thing over and over again as the medium changes, so we are not endlessly searching for a new service when they decide not to renew the license?

What do we upgrade to so it is always in our hot little hand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 08:58 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
kodi ?

Old 06-02-2018, 10:10 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
kodi ?

Thank you!

I will look into it and read up on it but any additional information you can provide on it could be helpful.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:21 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
its a program that runs on linux, windows, mac, android, lineage-os/cyanogenmod, raspberry-pi, ios (must be rooted), fire-tv stick, ...

i ripped my dvd collection to .mkv's to my hard drive and use kodi on my htpc to display it on my tv.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:35 PM

295 posts, read 353,955 times
Just rip everything to a file. Common formats for video are mkv and mp4. Once ripped just about any device that supports the format will be able to play them. But DVDs aren't going anywhere soon. Even if they stopped making dvd players the blu-ray ones are backwards compatible and give it life for a few more years. How long they keep that remains to be seen. If you have a large collection and don't want to deal with ripping them all then maybe pick up several players and keep them in storage. They're so cheap now you can pick up 3 or 4 that would last you a decade even after dvds fade out of existence.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:29 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
I still have all my CD/DVD's but decided to rip all the CD's and the best DVD's. The ones I knew I might want to watch again. I will not throw them away, I just have them in a closet. I bought an 8tb drive to store all the files. You can watch via Kodi, Plex or DLNA. I'm sure there are other ways. I do have a home network but you could just plug the external into whatever device you are using to access the files. The price of these drives has been coming down. I've seen them as low as $140.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:26 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
If so, how does one upgrade especially if they are like me who have thousands of DVDs.
My brother is fierce collector and now has over 6000 blue ray disks. You can still purchase cassette players, even if you can't buy pre-recorded cassettes.

Both LP vinyl and eight track sales peaked in 1978.Cassette sales peaked in 1990 at 46% of all formats for music sales. CD sales peaked in 2000 when they were 94% of all formats for music sales.

For movies DVD sales peaked in 2004 and Blue-ray sales peaked in 2013. While there is no guarantee that you will be able to purchase your latest film on disk in the year 2030, there is no reason to think that you can't purchase a player to play your old collection.

Best Buy is advertising their in-store brand DVD player for $19.99 ($10 off sale).There is no reason for all the manufacturers to stop producing such an inexpensive item.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 06-14-2018 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-15-2018, 07:08 AM

136 posts, read 135,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
My brother is fierce collector and now has over 6000 blue ray disks. You can still purchase cassette players, even if you can't buy pre-recorded cassettes.

Both LP vinyl and eight track sales peaked in 1978.Cassette sales peaked in 1990 at 46% of all formats for music sales. CD sales peaked in 2000 when they were 94% of all formats for music sales.

For movies DVD sales peaked in 2004 and Blue-ray sales peaked in 2013. While there is no guarantee that you will be able to purchase your latest film on disk in the year 2030, there is no reason to think that you can't purchase a player to play your old collection.

Best Buy is advertising their in-store brand DVD player for $19.99 ($10 off sale).There is no reason for all the manufacturers to stop producing such an inexpensive item.
This.

Unlike magnetic tape, which is very delicate and degrades over time even when stored and handled in ideal conditions, commercially produced DVDs and CDs are very stable. There will be collections of playable discs around for many, many years after the formats have disappeared from the retail market. The demand for players will continue long after it's no longer possible to buy new releases in those formats.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Everything is going digital so there will have to be some kind of way to own it and it not be corruptible or erasable and be able to be saved forever in a secure place like a DVD was.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:00 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog811 View Post
This.

Unlike magnetic tape, which is very delicate and degrades over time even when stored and handled in ideal conditions, commercially produced DVDs and CDs are very stable. There will be collections of playable discs around for many, many years after the formats have disappeared from the retail market. The demand for players will continue long after it's no longer possible to buy new releases in those formats.
I think PCs are doing away with DVD drives. I can't remember last time I used mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics