Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:25 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,191,649 times

Advertisements

For those of you that don't have cable nor satellite tv this is for you. The government is giving away plastic credit card type rebates (2 $40 cards per address) towards digital tv converters for the upcoming 2009 switch-over. You can go here https://www.dtv2009.gov/ to apply. I applied expecting a long wait but got them right at 30-35 days. Act promptly, the money may run out (as stated on the site). Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. ..

p.s. HEB was selling them for (guess what ??) $40 a piece..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 10:48 AM

529 posts, read 2,710,793 times
I'm probably the last person on earth who doesn't have cable or satellite TV. I can get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and a couple of local stations with my little antenna. I've had free TV all these years, I really don't want to pay for a box to watch TV (which is mostly commercials). Even with the coupon, the box will still cost me money (maybe about 30 dollars).

It really bothers me that this is a law. Don't our lawmakers have more important things to attend to? I was thinking about applying for a coupon until I saw that commercial that states - "Digital TV is so great that it's going to be a law that all stations have to broadcast in digital" (paraphrasing).

My brother thinks it's some type of Big Brother Conspiracy thing. The government will be able to monitor everyone once was go all-digital. I didn't really think that until I went to the website. So you enter your address and they know where the non-cable people live. Maybe not something as serious as my brother is thinking but something I don't like.

I think I'll call their bluff and wait and see what happens in Feb 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
For those of you that don't have cable nor satellite tv this is for you. The government is giving away plastic credit card type rebates (2 $40 cards per address) towards digital tv converters for the upcoming 2009 switch-over. You can go here https://www.dtv2009.gov/ to apply. I applied expecting a long wait but got them right at 30-35 days. Act promptly, the money may run out (as stated on the site). Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. ..

p.s. HEB was selling them for (guess what ??) $40 a piece..

Old 03-29-2008, 12:22 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
I'm probably the last person on earth who doesn't have cable or satellite TV. I can get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and a couple of local stations with my little antenna. I've had free TV all these years, I really don't want to pay for a box to watch TV (which is mostly commercials). Even with the coupon, the box will still cost me money (maybe about 30 dollars).

It really bothers me that this is a law. Don't our lawmakers have more important things to attend to? I was thinking about applying for a coupon until I saw that commercial that states - "Digital TV is so great that it's going to be a law that all stations have to broadcast in digital" (paraphrasing).

My brother thinks it's some type of Big Brother Conspiracy thing. The government will be able to monitor everyone once was go all-digital. I didn't really think that until I went to the website. So you enter your address and they know where the non-cable people live. Maybe not something as serious as my brother is thinking but something I don't like.

Digital TV is a good thing. It allows more efficient use of the broadcast spectrum. With digital transmission, several channels can be broadcast in the same space as single channel is now. Most stations in SA are broadcasting subchannels right now and without a digital tuner, you cant see them.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Even with the coupon, the box will still cost me money (maybe about 30 dollars).
Cost $40 + sales tax $3.40 - $40 Rebate = $3.40. ..

Old 03-29-2008, 01:13 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,518 times
Quote:

IT's true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the New Warld Arder!! gotta be careful what you talk about these days because are freedom really doesn't exsist anymore.!! Look at the dollar bill it says it in latin. things are changing and it is coming. 2009 aka 1984!

Old 03-29-2008, 02:48 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,502,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
IT's true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the New Warld Arder!! gotta be careful what you talk about these days because are freedom really doesn't exsist anymore.!! Look at the dollar bill it says it in latin. things are changing and it is coming. 2009 aka 1984!
...I really hope you're being sarcastic.

As another poster said, its more efficient and provides a clearer picture.

What this means is that we can then use that radio spectrum for something else, more useful. Thats why this is a law, and not just a recommendation.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:30 PM

Trying to change this thread over to government "conspiracy" ??? ..http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs108.gif (broken link)

Old 03-29-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Trying to change this thread over to government "conspiracy" ??? ..http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs108.gif (broken link)
Do we have a forum for that?

Old 03-29-2008, 08:16 PM

23,841 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
we can then use that radio spectrum for something else, more useful.
Like bringing in $19 billion. Anyone know where that money's going?

Google, Verizon, AT&T, etc were bidding on that space. There will no doubt be new wireless services being offered by them in the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane
it really bothers me that this is a law.
Me too. The market should have driven this decision, not Congress.

Quote:
My brother thinks it's some type of Big Brother Conspiracy thing.
It's not the government who wanted this - it's the content producers, who happen to have a lot of influence on the government. This change puts the infrastructure in place for them to be able to control what you can or can't record, how long you have to watch it, how many times you can watch it, whether or not it can be transferred or copied to another device, whether or not you can skip commercials, etc.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Like bringing in $19 billion. Anyone know where that money's going?

Google, Verizon, AT&T, etc were bidding on that space. There will no doubt be new wireless services being offered by them in the next few years.

Me too. The market should have driven this decision, not Congress.

It's not the government who wanted this - it's the content producers, who happen to have a lot of influence on the government. This change puts the infrastructure in place for them to be able to control what you can or can't record, how long you have to watch it, how many times you can watch it, whether or not it can be transferred or copied to another device, whether or not you can skip commercials, etc.
It sounds like an economic decision, good for business. $19billion is a good chunk of change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics