Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 05:48 PM

454 posts, read 448,966 times

Advertisements

I have an iphone SE that came along with the charger. By the charger i mean the wire that connects to the iphone. It still works now but the issue is you could see the wiring inside as if you are not careful with it, it can break very easily and i want to get a replacement one.

Should it get it from apple site and pay the premium price for it or should i go to amazon and get some cheaper replacement for the charger? Should you always go with apple charger the official one because others could cause damage to an iphone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 06:20 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
I have an iphone SE that came along with the charger. By the charger i mean the wire that connects to the iphone. It still works now but the issue is you could see the wiring inside as if you are not careful with it, it can break very easily and i want to get a replacement one.

Should it get it from apple site and pay the premium price for it or should i go to amazon and get some cheaper replacement for the charger? Should you always go with apple charger the official one because others could cause damage to an iphone?
Amazon has some great cables and you can certainly read the reviews however, some iPhones have proprietary software that can determine that it’s not an Apple product and the phone or iPad will not charge.

Check it out on Amazon and you can post a question to be answered by others who have purchased the cable to ensure it will work with your phone. Many cables that Amazon sells are more durable than the actual Apple cables.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:11 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...AU1BVS0F&psc=1

Is this good?

Old 03-19-2019, 01:43 PM

733 posts, read 760,873 times
Quote:
Looks ok. You want one that is Certified, and that says it is, but there are a lot of off-brands that might be 'iffy'.

For my iPhones, I've always stuck with the Anker brand. Very good, some have long/lifetime warranty. Otherwise the Amazon Basics lightening cable would be a good choice too. No need to pay extra for the Apple brand.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:16 PM

I took a look at anker brand but lot of negative reviews from it. Do you know why though?

Old 03-22-2019, 06:28 AM

733 posts, read 760,873 times
Quote:
I took a look at anker brand but lot of negative reviews from it. Do you know why though?
Seems like the negatives reviews are around it holding up, falling apart, etc. You never know how people use them - I see those cords getting abused quite a bit. But still, for the thousands of reviews, it looks like every model of theirs is 4-stars and above.

Their latest version, the Powerline II, has a lifetime warranty. I ordered one of these, it quit working after about 3 months, I used their warranty process and they sent me a brand new one. It was good for a year until it got lost somehow. So with that, you pay a little more up front, but I think it's still cheaper than Apple's version. Here's an example.

I'm no brand ambassador - you can order what you want. There are hundreds of vendors selling lightning cables. But I know Anker is a solid brand (of a variety of products, not just cables), and ratings are as good as anyone's, so that's what I go with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics