Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 03:44 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,381 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in an apartment with an Amazon locker, for all packages and not just Amazon orders. The locker has its HAL-like camera right in the center. How do you fight a multibillion-dollar megacorp that isn't satisfied with dominating e-commerce and website hosting? At least the UK was always up-front about recording their citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 12:57 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
So they fixed it. All one has to do now after giving Alexa a command is then say to Alexa, .....

" Alexa, delete my previous command".

Except Amazon still has a record of it. It might be deleted off of Alexa, but not from Amazon's main-frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I'm currently in an apartment with an Amazon locker, for all packages and not just Amazon orders. The locker has its HAL-like camera right in the center. How do you fight a multibillion-dollar megacorp that isn't satisfied with dominating e-commerce and website hosting?

100 MPH tape. I'll be damned if I know the real name, because I'm so used to calling it "hundred-mile-an-hour-tape." The Chinooks I used to fly in would leak Skydrol from the hydraulic lines and we'd just wrap it up with "hundred-mile-an-hour-tape" so we could fly 100 knots per hour and not crash.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:09 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
The speakers are constantly "listening" and recording every word we say.
They are not recording every word you say.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:30 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
They are not recording every word you say.
I have come to the conclusion that the government is adding chemicals to the foods that certain individuals eat. It apparently causes irrational thoughts and paranoia. This thread and a number of others on City Data are cases in point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeCu3pm8IxE

Old 06-06-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I'm currently in an apartment with an Amazon locker, for all packages and not just Amazon orders. The locker has its HAL-like camera right in the center. How do you fight a multibillion-dollar megacorp that isn't satisfied with dominating e-commerce and website hosting? At least the UK was always up-front about recording their citizens.

And if your uber-expensive item was stolen from that locker and there was no camera to record who took it you'd have a hissy fit over it.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:35 AM

And just in case the paranoids here haven't figured it out... don't buy one of those devices and place it in your home. The responsibility is on you and no one else.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:06 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And if your uber-expensive item was stolen from that locker and there was no camera to record who took it you'd have a hissy fit over it.
I said it's an AMAZON locker. As in "security" is just a byproduct of the Internet-enabled camera.

And it says it all that uninformed people are insisting that your Internet devices aren't recording you. And the tech giants headed by the incredibly smart, rich, powerful and condescending, won't tell anyone either way.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I said it's an AMAZON locker. As in "security" is just a byproduct of the Internet-enabled camera.

And it says it all that uninformed people are insisting that your Internet devices aren't recording you. And the tech giants headed by the incredibly smart, rich, powerful and condescending, won't tell anyone either way.
So it's an AMAZON locker as opposed to an Amazon locker? Got it.

For security. With a camera that you find intrusive.

My point still stands. if your high priced toy got stolen out of the AMAZON locker and it didn't have a CAMERA to record who took it you'd have a hissy fit.

Uninformed people know all these systems are keeping track.

Informed people who understand that the things informed (and the uninformed, and the paranoid) do are not illegal don't care.

So they are tracking my buying habits. I don't care. So they are listening to what I say through Alexa. I don't care.

There is nothing I buy or say that is important enough to freak out over.

Your paranoia makes me wonder what it is that you are doing that you don't want them to know about. And since, as you insist is true, they are watching everything then this conversation has probably sent up a red flag about you. A red flag because they now want to know what it is you are doing that you don't want them to know about.

Expect a knock on your door. Soon. If you're lucky they won't just bust it in with guns drawn.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:20 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
And it says it all that uninformed people are insisting that your Internet devices aren't recording you.
Who is uninformed?
Here's the thing: Alexa and Google devices run on personal networks. Some folks are really good at networking. Some people can even track EVERY BIT of internet traffic on their LAN or WAN. So if Amazon IS recording EVERY word it hears this would require huge uploads to Amazon servers and would leave, in layman's terms, footprints all over the network.
So unless Amazon/Google have figured out a way to bypass MY NETWORK to upload all that data and still function perfectly as a network device ON my network....

Old 07-19-2019, 01:37 PM

156 posts, read 440,245 times
This surveillance crap is p!ssing me off!

I'm curious as to why people aren't disturbed by the fact that anyone can put a tiny video and/or audio recorder anywhere and record you. It can be in someone elses home or someone can bring it into your home and record you. There are some that use wi-fi and some that record straight to a micro SD card. I don't like the idea of hidden cameras. I understand and expect them to be used in certain businesses, but I worry about them in others. What if I have a wedgie and want to discreetly remove it? I don't want someone recording that. I can't even trust that relatives don't have hidden cameras. They could have them anywhere, even in the bathroom. They can post the video on the internet and I could become a international laughing stock. Amazon's spying is the least of my worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics