U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 02:23 PM

16,821 posts, read 21,831,495 times

Advertisements

We live in 2000 sq foot ranch house with extensive insulation. When the house was built in 2013, they put the connections for the internet hardware in a closet in the laundry room, which is not central location in the house. It cannot be moved. We have Google Fiber and Wifi and Ooma in that closet (and yes, the door remains closed).

I have done speed tests on our laptops, and we ARE getting the 100mbps that we are paying for from Google Fiber.

When we are at the far points on this small house using the wifi, our speed slows down. Stand in front of that closet with the door open, the speeds are higher. This is particularly causing problems with Ooma.

I'm thinking that some kind of wifi signal booster / extender / whatever it's called would help. I DO NOT want to spend a lot of money on this. Is there a quick and easy solution?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 06:04 PM

10,811 posts, read 19,079,083 times
Best solution would be to run an ethernet cable to the far side of the house and connect an access point to it, second best if the house has coax would be to use a couple moca adapters and an access point. You have to be careful with extenders, placement is critical with them but it could work, just understand that anything connected to one is going to get half of the available bandwidth. A wifi mesh setup is an option as well, along with powerline network extenders, but I'd consider those only if there's no other option.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Best solution would be to run an ethernet cable to the far side of the house and connect an access point to it, second best if the house has coax would be to use a couple moca adapters and an access point. You have to be careful with extenders, placement is critical with them but it could work, just understand that anything connected to one is going to get half of the available bandwidth. A wifi mesh setup is an option as well, along with powerline network extenders, but I'd consider those only if there's no other option.
Thanks But can you translate that into English?

I THINK I understand running Ethernet cables - but how would that work from a closer in the laundry room to the other end of the house?

Old 01-04-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thanks But can you translate that into English?

I THINK I understand running Ethernet cables - but how would that work from a closer in the laundry room to the other end of the house?
That's what you'll need to figure out. If you're going to do this yourself you're gonna need to do some research and learn some terminology. Google the stuff I mentioned to get an idea of what is what then decide the best option for you, Running ethernet is probably the hardest option to install but will give you the best results, moca adapters are almost as good but you need coax cable outlets in the closet and the other end of the house, anything else I mentioned is a compromise between ease of install & performance.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:05 PM

7,134 posts, read 3,737,853 times
Quote:
I'm thinking that some kind of wifi signal booster / extender / whatever it's called would help. I DO NOT want to spend a lot of money on this. Is there a quick and easy solution?
Quickest and easiest is Google's mesh routers. No cables (except the primary), just deploy two or three of them throughout the house.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:43 PM

Our home is only 7 years old, so the electrical lines should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Quickest and easiest is Google's mesh routers. No cables (except the primary), just deploy two or three of them throughout the house.

Like these? $242

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
A wifi mesh setup is an option as well, along with powerline network extenders, but I'd consider those only if there's no other option.
Like this? I would only need one, correct?

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 01-04-2020 at 04:00 PM..

Old 01-04-2020, 03:59 PM

7,134 posts, read 3,737,853 times
Quote:
Yes, those are the ones.

I put in place a range extender that works well but was a pain to configure. I did it before Google came out with their mesh devices. If I had to do it again I would use Google's mesh.

Old 01-04-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Yes, those are the ones.

I put in place a range extender that works well but was a pain to configure. I did it before Google came out with their mesh devices. If I had to do it again I would use Google's mesh.

Thank you. One more question, please?

We're retired, not gamers, use internet for TV streaming, Alexa, and browsing using tablets, laptop and phones. Nothing heavy. I have a 2000 square foot house with the Google fiber router in a closet behind doors. It's a small house.

The biggest problem is that we use our smart phones in the house with wifi - NOT 4G. The house is so well insulated that 4G is darn near useless. The phone calls using wifi are dropping and patchy.

Also in the far corners of the house, the speed drops considerably when using tablets and phones. Our current speed is 100mbps and Google is increasing it to 500mbps next month. The laptops are getting full speeds.

So - Would I really need more than one of these mesh things? or would these cheaper ones work?

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 01-04-2020 at 04:50 PM..

Old 01-04-2020, 06:27 PM

13,446 posts, read 6,627,562 times
TP-Link should work for your needs. I use their switches often as they’re reliable and cheap.

Worth a shot for the price.

Nowadays I generally don’t recommend power line networking, especially if you’re trying to stream TV reliably. While the top speeds are fast enough on paper practically they’re often all over the place.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
TP-Link should work for your needs. I use their switches often as they’re reliable and cheap.

Worth a shot for the price.

Nowadays I generally don’t recommend power line networking, especially if you’re trying to stream TV reliably. While the top speeds are fast enough on paper practically they’re often all over the place.
^^^
T-P-Link has decent stuff for the money. As I said my last choice would be powerline networking. Doesn't matter how "good" your wiring is, by nature it is loaded with noise, and you don't want noise when transmitting data, you won't get anywhere near the claimed transfer rates with this equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics