Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 02:13 PM

409 posts, read 872,735 times

Advertisements

Apologies if I have put this in the wrong forum, If I have could one of the moderators move to the proper forum please that would be greatly appreciated.

That said- I've got a laptop that is somewhat clunky to use. The screen is too small for me, difficult to view on occasion and the lack of a mouse bothers me. When Dell updates it, the laptop gets wonky for a few days before settling down.

I've decided to start planning/budget flow for a new desktop to be my main computer.

What I would use the desktop computer for is some limited work (Microsoft word/excel) at home, internet surfing, emails, personal writing and some light game playing (games such as Civilization 5 & 6, Hearts of Iron and some strategy based games- Use to play Simcity for days on end when I was much younger).

I'm looking for something that wouldn't bankrupt me. It's been suggested I consider getting something with a 8 gen processor instead of a 10 gen processor to save some bucks. It's also been recommended I get something with 16gb of Ram and a SSD drive for storage. I'm starting to get to the point where small screens bother me so I will probably get a monitor that is large and easy to view.

The purchase won’t be made immediately, probably sometime in the next 6-12 months.

It has been suggested I look at Dell computers. Which suggestions does the peanut gallery have for what particular desktop I should consider getting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 02:34 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
See my response under Computers. This thread can be deleted.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:39 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
If you're not buying for 6-12 months there's no point searching specific brands/models yet.

You can get a mouse and even a larger screen for your laptop. And an external keyboard, too. I work mostly from home and use a 24" monitor, large print keyboard, and a mouse with my work laptop. I could use a docking station but the mouse and keyboard are wireless so it's just as easy to plug in the monitor.

If your existing laptop is just obsolete and lacks the processing and memory you want, then get a business-class laptop with what you are looking for, and use it at home like I do. The advantage of doing that in your case would be you could retain the mobility to take the laptop somewhere with you.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:17 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
I also prefer desktops. Don't like the smaller keyboard and screens on a laptop. They are fine for portability but if you're going to use it as a desktop, why not just get a desktop. Sure, you could get an external keyboard and regular monitor for the laptop but again, why not just get the desktop.

https://www.dealnews.com/c48/Computers/Desktops/

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/category/172/

You could also go direct to Dell.com

Old 10-28-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I also prefer desktops. Don't like the smaller keyboard and screens on a laptop. They are fine for portability but if you're going to use it as a desktop, why not just get a desktop. Sure, you could get an external keyboard and regular monitor for the laptop but again, why not just get the desktop.

So that you can use it with the convenience of a desktop when at home and preserve the portability of taking it with you on the road. Maybe we should know why he had a laptop in the first place.

The real question is why get a desktop that limits your options and provides no conveniences that you can't get with a laptop? The laptop will also work for an hour or two when the power goes out.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The real question is why get a desktop that limits your options and provides no conveniences that you can't get with a laptop? The laptop will also work for an hour or two when the power goes out.
The only thing a desktop would limit is portability and I did address that, what else would it limit? If you are going to only use it on your desk at home, guess what? your laptop became a desktop. The desktop would give me a much better keyboard and screen and a mouse. I hate touchpads, that's another major annoyance. You can't compare a 27" inch to a 15" screen. Now that IS a limitation.

Why would you need to use it when the power goes out? If you really had to, you could get a UPS for the desktop and do the same but again, why? I would assume that when your power went out, so did your internet.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
The only thing a desktop would limit is portability and I did address that, what else would it limit? If you are going to only use it on your desk at home, guess what? your laptop became a desktop. The desktop would give me a much better keyboard and screen and a mouse. I hate touchpads, that's another major annoyance. You can't compare a 27" inch to a 15" screen. Now that IS a limitation.

Why would you need to use it when the power goes out? If you really had to, you could get a UPS for the desktop and do the same but again, why? I would assume that when your power went out, so did your internet.
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? Portability is a pretty big limitation. I don't anyone that never travels. He has a laptop now for a reason.

It's not so much that you need to use it when the power goes out but that your work doesn't evaporate and/or your system get damaged. Sure, you can add a UPS now who's the one adding things to emulate a laptop?

Have you not been reading this thread? You can use the same screen, same keyboard, same mouse with your laptop as with your desktop.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:22 AM

My whole point is that the complaints listed by OP so far deal with the screen and mouse.

Add in a nice screen, usb keyboard and usb mouse and it's possible to test it all out with the existing laptop BEFORE buying a new system - which would need these 3 anyway (unless you're content with the cheap keyboard/mouse they throw in the box.)

That might be enough - at least for now.

THEN, OP can decide on a new system 6-12 months down the road, or upgrade the existing laptop (if possible) with more memory and a SSD which might prolong its life and be "enough". Civ 5/6 and Hearts of Iron don't have massive system requirements.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? Portability is a pretty big limitation. I don't anyone that never travels. He has a laptop now for a reason.

It's not so much that you need to use it when the power goes out but that your work doesn't evaporate and/or your system get damaged. Sure, you can add a UPS now who's the one adding things to emulate a laptop?

Have you not been reading this thread? You can use the same screen, same keyboard, same mouse with your laptop as with your desktop.
You weren't clear on why you would need to use it when the power went out, were you? Now that you mention not to lose your work a UPS is the clear answer and on what planet would it emulate a laptop? If you would have been clear about it, I would have also suggested a UPS. That is exactly what a UPS is for, it will even automatically shut down for you if you are not using it.

The question is have you read the OP? He does NOT have BOTH a laptop and a desktop. He has only a "clunky" laptop.

Quote:
That said- I've got a laptop that is somewhat clunky to use. The screen is too small for me, difficult to view on occasion and the lack of a mouse bothers me. When Dell updates it, the laptop gets wonky for a few days before settling down.

I've decided to start planning/budget flow for a new desktop to be my main computer.
I have both a laptop and a desktop. In fact, I have 2 desktops, one a full 24/7 server and a regular desktop that I turn on when I need it, maybe once a week. The laptop that I have, is put away in it's bag, I haven't used it in many months, I have no need. Even if I travel, which you assume everybody does, it's rare that I would need it and I don't travel very much. If I had only a laptop and wanted a regular keyboard/mouse and screen I would have to buy it of course but then if I don't travel (and need a laptop) it becomes a desktop doesn't it? There goes all of that portability. Laptops are usually slower than desktops too but that's beside the point. Don't assume everybody has the same habits and needs as you. They don't.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
The question is have you read the OP? He does NOT have BOTH a laptop and a desktop. He has only a "clunky" laptop.
But "clunky" is based upon the small screen, lack of a mouse and how the Dell behaves after updates.

#1 and #2 can be addressed NOW, today, and not take anything away from having a desktop later. Perhaps if the funds aren't there resolving #1 is a limitation but I have to believe $30 for an external mouse might be workable. And a screen will be needed later anyway unless it's some sort of package deal or all-in-one desktop.

#3 might be because the laptop is slow. Or might just be because of some other reason (like Windows 10 updates if applicable, combined with a slow 5400 HDD.) It could theoretically be upgraded enough to make it "less clunky" for the short term. Or perhaps it's not worth the effort. We don't know anything else about the model and current specs.

So aside from periodic update issues there is nothing in OP's post that states that the laptop is otherwise unusable or unsuitable. Maybe it is. Maybe it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics