U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 06:07 AM

10,666 posts, read 11,511,293 times

Advertisements

I've been using Google Voice with a mobile phone connected to wifi but I am getting a lot of complaints from people who can't hear me. I am considering investing in an VOIP with ethernet connections ($70 - $200). The idea is that the sound quality would be better than their $50 adapter to allow you to plug in an old fashioned analog phones into Google voice.

Has anyone bought one of these phones, and do you have any advice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 06:53 AM

4,975 posts, read 8,824,382 times
I'm using google voice w/ an Obihai for my home VoIP setup.

It works - no real advice.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:41 AM

1,406 posts, read 853,576 times
I am using google voice with the $50 Obihai adapter. I do not have a special phone. I have my Panasonic corded/cordless desk phone plugged into it. I can use the corded phone at my desk or one of the cordless handsets scattered through my house. The call quality is better than when I had Ooma.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I am using google voice with the $50 Obihai adapter. I do not have a special phone.
The VOIP phones are quite expensive and they don't have multiple handsets nor are they cordless.
$69.98 Obihai OBi1022 IP Phone with Power Supply - Up to 10 Lines - Support for Google Voice and SIP-Based Services
$139.97 Obihai OBi2000 Series Gigabit IP Phones (OBi2182)

Perhaps if you didn't own any analog phones it might make sense, but over the last half century we've accumulated dozens of analog phones.

I was hoping someone had tried one/

Old 02-03-2020, 03:59 PM

13,448 posts, read 6,627,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The VOIP phones are quite expensive and they don't have multiple handsets nor are they cordless.
$69.98 Obihai OBi1022 IP Phone with Power Supply - Up to 10 Lines - Support for Google Voice and SIP-Based Services
$139.97 Obihai OBi2000 Series Gigabit IP Phones (OBi2182)

Perhaps if you didn't own any analog phones it might make sense, but over the last half century we've accumulated dozens of analog phones.

I was hoping someone had tried one/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have this one and it works well. You do need the accompanying base station.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I use it with CallCentric, not Google Voice.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:45 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,850,280 times
So glad I found this thread. I recently canceled my landline phone service, while forgetting that I have been using the analog phone with the Obi adapter for GV. Now without the landline, the phone does not work with GV anymore. I can't call or receive calls, but people can still leave me text messages and voice mails.

I need a need phone that works with GV without a landline. So I need a VOIP phone, right? Thanks.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
So glad I found this thread. I recently canceled my landline phone service, while forgetting that I have been using the analog phone with the Obi adapter for GV. Now without the landline, the phone does not work with GV anymore. I can't call or receive calls, but people can still leave me text messages and voice mails.

I need a need phone that works with GV without a landline. So I need a VOIP phone, right? Thanks.
Google Voice runs over your internet. I don't understand your comment. Did you cancel your internet service? Normally people use "landline" to refer to phone service, and not for internet service.

VOIP just means "voice over internet protocol". If you buy a phone service from your cable company it is almost always VOIP. So is Google Voice, and Vonage, and Majic Jack, and dozens of other services.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:45 AM

5,332 posts, read 8,850,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Google Voice runs over your internet. I don't understand your comment. Did you cancel your internet service? Normally people use "landline" to refer to phone service, and not for internet service.

VOIP just means "voice over internet protocol". If you buy a phone service from your cable company it is almost always VOIP. So is Google Voice, and Vonage, and Majic Jack, and dozens of other services.
My setup was like this: Obi adapter + analog phone with landline service + GV = free VOIP phone service. I have ATT DSL internet. Now that I have canceled the landline service, the analog phone does not work anymore, which means I can't make or receive calls.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:58 AM

13,448 posts, read 6,627,562 times
Quote:
My setup was like this: Obi adapter + analog phone with landline service + GV = free VOIP phone service. I have ATT DSL internet. Now that I have canceled the landline service, the analog phone does not work anymore, which means I can't make or receive calls.
That doesn’t honestly make sense. What the adapter is supposed to do is to allow analog phones to connect to VoIP service. Landline service would be a complement to it, not a requirement.

You might need to reconfigure the adapter, or change how your analog line is run to the adapter.

Old 02-04-2020, 01:28 PM

1,608 posts, read 412,788 times
Quote:

sounds like you have the old Obi adapter? Obi 100 used to work with GV until GV changed their system. You have to buy a new Obi 200 to work again in GV, it can not be updated to work.

See this site:
https://www.whichvoip.com/articles/o...ogle-voice.htm

And get more forum help at dslreports forum: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics