Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2020, 06:35 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,714,341 times

Advertisements

I'd like to be able to have this fixed, rather than replace it, but the only repair place left charges $25 for an estimate (applied to the cost of repair, of course), and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it.

I have a Magnavox flat screen TV, with the original remote. And the battery is fine. But the set tends to ignore the remote, and it can take pushing the power button 20-30 tries to get it to kick in. You press "On" and the screen shows the words "Digital television" for 2 or 3 seconds, then it turns off again. It isn't until after a few dozen tries that it advances to the next step, showing the channel in the upper right corner, but then turns off again. It isn't until several more tries that it finally goes through. We've done several re-scans but it didn't change anything. It's the same if we turn it on manually, so the problem isn't the remote.

Do you think it's hopeless, or worth having repaired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 06:48 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
The battery of your remote might be fine, but it seems that the buttons aren't. Perhaps they are worn out?
Try a different, universal remote to see if things improve.

Also the remote or tv sensor might be not working well.
https://youtu.be/526XozYdvSU
To see if your remote control is working - get your smart phone, turn the photo app on, point at the remote sensor and push any remote button. You should be able to see the remote light on your phone. See if the light is visible and strong every time you push the remote button.

Start with a new remote, then progress...

Report back.

Last edited by elnina; 02-19-2020 at 06:59 PM..

Old 02-19-2020, 07:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Does it have manual buttons, same behavior?

I had LG TV that boot to logo screen and would go no further. Crazy as it sounds the fix was removing the motherboard and baking it in the oven at 375 for 10 minutes. Kept coming across the same fix for the issue I was having. That is enough to melt and reset the solder wherever there was the bad solder point.

In any event google the specific model number, look on back of TV. It's usually on same sticker as UPC code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The battery of your remote might be fine, but it seems that the buttons aren't. Perhaps they are worn out?

The buttons are pretty difficult to wear out however they can get debris in them making them unworkable. The power button and other ones on the edge are most prone. Usually they are just unresponsive but I guess it's possible it's sticking and sending the power off signal.

They are all about the same. Remove any visible screws on the back, there may be some behind stickers on the back. If there is is you can usually see an indentation on the sticker for the hole. Carefully split remote in half, there may plastic clips holding it together but they should release with enough pressure. These things usually don't just pop apart but be careful you don't break it either. Hitting it with some heat from the hair dryer may help if it's problematic.

When you take the top off there will be rubber mat the size of the entire controller or at least the buttons. All the buttons are on this single rubber mat, on the underside should be discs below each button. Carfeul you don't lose any, if they pop out easily pop them all out. Wash the rubber mat in hot soapy water, you can wash the discs too. Make sure everything is dry before you put the discs back into the mat. Alternatively or if you can't get the discs out carefully clean by hand with common cleaner.

Before reassembling take isopropyl alcohol and cue tips, clean the exposed disc surface and the entire surface of the circuit board that the mat sits on.

Should work as good as new if you had buttons not working properly.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:46 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
You press "On" and the screen shows the words "Digital television" for 2 or 3 seconds, then it turns off again. It isn't until after a few dozen tries that it advances to the next step, showing the channel in the upper right corner, but then turns off again. It isn't until several more tries that it finally goes through. We've done several re-scans but it didn't change anything. It's the same if we turn it on manually, so the problem isn't the remote.
It's not the remote. Sounds like the power board is blown and the short may have included the video board. Figure $100 in labor plus parts (google model number to get part numbers. Type in part numbers on ebay to estimate cost. If it's not DIY multiply that price by 35%).

Old 02-20-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It's not the remote.

I wouldn't think it's remote either however the same signal is used to power the set on or off unless you have remote with discrete on and off which most people do not have. If the contacts are sticking I would guess it's possible for what is occurring. Could also be simply something wrong with the remote.

You can test for this using the power buttons on the TV or another remote if you have one. Certainly wouldn't hurt to do quick check.

----edit---

I need to read me thoroughly, OP said it doesn't work manually. <oops>

Ina any event, as I previously said look up model number. If it's common problem which these things can be you might find a fix.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:06 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I wouldn't think it's remote either however the same signal is used to power the set on or off unless you have remote with discrete on and off which most people do not have. If the contacts are sticking I would guess it's possible for what is occurring. Could also be simply something wrong with the remote.

You can test for this using the power buttons on the TV or another remote if you have one. Certainly wouldn't hurt to do quick check.

----edit---

I need to read me thoroughly, OP said it doesn't work manually. <oops>

Ina any event, as I previously said look up model number. If it's common problem which these things can be you might find a fix.
Not simple if:

You press "On" and the screen shows the words "Digital television" for 2 or 3 seconds, then it turns off again. It isn't until after a few dozen tries that it advances to the next step, showing the channel in the upper right corner, but then turns off again. It isn't until several more tries that it finally goes through. We've done several re-scans but it didn't change anything. It's the same if we turn it on manually, so the problem isn't the remote.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Unless it's a 70" 4k TV I wouldn't pay to fix any TV, new ones are so much cheaper, and yet better now. For example, our basic 55" cost us $499 4 years ago, now a 55" 4K smart TV is only $350. Electronic technician labor is expensive.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:33 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,714,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Try a different, universal remote to see if things improve.

Also the remote or tv sensor might be not working well.
https://youtu.be/526XozYdvSU
To see if your remote control is working - get your smart phone, turn the photo app on, point at the remote sensor and push any remote button. You should be able to see the remote light on your phone. See if the light is visible and strong every time you push the remote button.

Start with a new remote, then progress... Report back.
As I said, it's the same if we turn it on manually, on the set, so the problem isn't the remote, although that was originally my first thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Does it have manual buttons, same behavior?

I had LG TV that boot to logo screen and would go no further. Crazy as it sounds the fix was removing the motherboard and baking it in the oven at 375 for 10 minutes. Kept coming across the same fix for the issue I was having. That is enough to melt and reset the solder wherever there was the bad solder point.
That's the funniest solution I've heard in a while, about the oven.

Yes, same when I do it manually. Anyway, I'm not figuring on fixing it myself, just trying to second-guess the situation as to whether it's worth hauling to a repair shop. I tried "fixing" a remote once, and it was a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Unless it's a 70" 4k TV I wouldn't pay to fix any TV, new ones are so much cheaper, and yet better now. For example, our basic 55" cost us $499 4 years ago, now a 55" 4K smart TV is only $350. Electronic technician labor is expensive.
Right. It's 32" and I'm figuring I could replace it with a used/refurbished/overstock one for around $100-$150. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post

All I know is when I got it back together and it worked I spiked the football.

I had nothing to lose so why not? I wouldn't go randomly putting electronic circuit boards in the oven but in this case multiple web sites were reporting it as a fix for the symptoms/brand/model.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:58 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
As I said, it's the same if we turn it on manually, on the set, so the problem isn't the remote, although that was originally my first thought.
Sorry. I missed somehow this part of your post.

Quote:
Not unless you already heard about washing computer keyboard in a dishwasher...
https://www.cnet.com/news/the-dishwa...uter-keyboard/

Last edited by elnina; 02-21-2020 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics