U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 03:14 PM

472 posts, read 421,644 times

Advertisements

You probably heard of people cutting their cable and getting rid of their cable bill by using Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney Plus. Now, I'm curious to know if anyone still have a home phone and if you do, are you trying to get rid of it?
You see, I have a home phone and a cell phone. I know for a fact that I could live without a home phone because I have a cell phone. However, the problem is my mom, she needs the home phone since she doesn't have a cell phone. Is there a way to connect a phone to the internet and use it that way? I hope someone out there understands what I'm trying to explain. Please help and thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 03:27 PM

12,966 posts, read 15,081,238 times
Of course:

https://www.ooma.com/

Old 03-02-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
do you have it or know how it works?

Old 03-02-2020, 04:31 PM

13,441 posts, read 6,619,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
do you have it or know how it works?
I have it. It works well.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I have it. It works well.
can you make long distance phone calls?

Old 03-02-2020, 08:16 PM

4,975 posts, read 8,823,062 times
Cutting the cord for phones is trivial as there isn't any actual "programming" like TV. There are plenty of options out there. The pricing is based on the features you want. You can go as low as a few dollar a month. Both Ooma and Google Voice are esseintially free. I'd say Google Voice is the only true free service that allows you to call landlines (I belive ooma's free tier still charges you taxes, etc.).

You can get a google voice account for free. Then use something like this and you can call anywhere nationally for free.

The only long distance charges would be international.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:30 PM

41,823 posts, read 44,757,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
can you make long distance phone calls?

The basic Ooma plan is no different than any basic phone plan; long distance, caller ID, voice message etc. You buy the base unit for $99 or whatever the price is and pay something like $5 to $7 a month. It's all taxes, the one federal tax is variable rate which is why it will not be the same every month.

Disconnect the phone line going into the house at the box outside. You can run the phone jack on the Ooma into existing phone jack and all your phones will work as before.

One thing to be aware of, you will lose phone service during a power outage if you do not have backup power. Minimally you need a power source for the modem and Ooma device. A small UPS can power these devices for quite a while. You can buy a really nice UPS for what you would save in a few months.

First thing to check is see if Ooma can port the existing number:

https://www.ooma.com/home-phone-serv...-phone-number/

Old 03-02-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Cutting the cord for phones is trivial as there isn't any actual "programming" like TV. There are plenty of options out there. The pricing is based on the features you want. You can go as low as a few dollar a month. Both Ooma and Google Voice are esseintially free. I'd say Google Voice is the only true free service that allows you to call landlines (I belive ooma's free tier still charges you taxes, etc.).

You can get a google voice account for free. Then use something like this and you can call anywhere nationally for free.

The only long distance charges would be international.
That's good, I don't plan on making any international phone calls anyway. yeah, I was thinking of either getting Google Voice or Ooma. However, they both sound like a headache when it comes to setting them up

Old 03-03-2020, 08:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,937 posts, read 61,746,045 times
Our "Land Line" is actually VOIP. We keep it because the number was listed back when there were phone books, and we don't want to give out our cell numbers to people that sell it and get the scam/robocalls on them. On the VOIP line the caller ID shows up on the TV (when it's on) and we don't answer it unless we recognize the number/caller. If they leave a voice mail it gets forwarded to my email. Last night for example, I looked up the 3 numbers that called on that line. One was a survey, two were unknown but reported as robocalls. None left a message.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:03 AM

12,966 posts, read 15,081,238 times
I set up a friend with Ooma and all 5 of his phones.
It's easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics