U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 07:46 AM

32,579 posts, read 21,802,488 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Mom is in assisted living and no longer remembers how to charge her phone so I can’t reach her much of the time. Now her facility is restricting visitors. I want to get an Echo Show so she can just say “Alexa call my daughter” or I can reach her whenever.

My concerns: There is fair, not great WiFi in her building. My mom doesn’t have a smart phone so can’t have the app. Most likely I will have to hand it to them from outside and have someone from maintenance set it up for her, who may or may not be tech literate.

Are my concerns valid? Is it simple enough to set up that I can trust any random person at her facility to be able to do it? As long as I have the app, is that all that matters?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 07:48 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,293,630 times
The process is fairly simple. However, there can be issues to it. It will really depend on how much troubleshooting the staff want to do if there is a problem.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The process is fairly simple. However, there can be issues to it. It will really depend on how much troubleshooting the staff want to do if there is a problem.
Ugh. Probably not much.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:41 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,293,630 times
There is a commercial I have seen where a grandma gets one in the mail from her family. On the box it says for her to plug it in. Whalla, it works and she can instantly contact her family. In reality it isn't like that. You have to hook to download the app onto a smart phone, log onto the account, connect the show to the phone, and then hook it to wifi.

Your best bet would probably be to contact the nursing home and ask to speak to their IT person, if they have one. If you explain the situation and kindly ask him to help, he just might. Being in IT myself I can speak from experience that it isn't out of the realm of possibility that they might help.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
There is a commercial I have seen where a grandma gets one in the mail from her family. On the box it says for her to plug it in. Whalla, it works and she can instantly contact her family. In reality it isn't like that. You have to hook to download the app onto a smart phone, log onto the account, connect the show to the phone, and then hook it to wifi.

Your best bet would probably be to contact the nursing home and ask to speak to their IT person, if they have one. If you explain the situation and kindly ask him to help, he just might. Being in IT myself I can speak from experience that it isn't out of the realm of possibility that they might help.
They don’t have an on-site IT person. They have a IT person who covers the buildings in an entire region but there’s no one in my moms building regularly. It would probably be a regular maintenance guy or receptionist etc.

So she absolutely needs to have a smart phone as well? I can’t just have the app on my phone? Is there a way I could set it up at home first and then simply bring it to her place and have them connect to their Wi-Fi or will that still require the app to be available and an account password?

Old 03-18-2020, 09:10 AM

1,402 posts, read 851,086 times
You might be able to sit in your car outside the nursing home and set it up there, if their wi-fi extends out into the parking lot at all. You might have to drive or walk around a bit to find the signal.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
You might be able to sit in your car outside the nursing home and set it up there, if their wi-fi extends out into the parking lot at all. You might have to drive or walk around a bit to find the signal.

That's an idea, I'll try that today when I drop off her laundry. Once it's set up, does it pretty much stay set-up and working properly?

Old 03-18-2020, 10:11 AM

I just called Amazon, the woman said they have an Echo department, and that they can set it up for her once it's plugged in, even if I'm outside the building!

Old 03-18-2020, 10:51 AM

1,402 posts, read 851,086 times
Well, that was easy! Amazon to the rescue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics