U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2020, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,037 posts, read 1,305,085 times
Reputation: 2278

Advertisements

Has anyone here seen, mainly on flat-screen LCD/LED televisions that have been wall-mounted, those two pull-strings hanging down from underneath them? Typically black string, with small shade-pull handles on them.

Don't tell me they're for On and Off..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2020, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,037 posts, read 1,305,085 times
Reputation: 2278
Seriously? Am I the only person on the planet to have noticed the above?

Sheesh.. I need to get a hobby.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2020, 05:52 AM
 
13,638 posts, read 6,775,150 times
Reputation: 13151
I think they’re for unlocking the wall mount so you can lift the TV to plug/unplug cables.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2020, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,041 posts, read 15,142,255 times
Reputation: 9154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Seriously? Am I the only person on the planet to have noticed the above?

Sheesh.. I need to get a hobby.
You do. You only posted yesterday.
And no I have never seen this but I can promise you it's what Mark said.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2020, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,037 posts, read 1,305,085 times
Reputation: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You do. You only posted yesterday.
And no I have never seen this but I can
promise you it's what Mark said.

You're probably not an 'Aspie' - I was diagnosed as high functioning twenty years ago. One trait of Aspergers is noticing every dang little detail in a subject or situation. Drives other people bonkers, lol!

Honestly, my first guess was that they were used to turn the sets on and off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2020, 09:00 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
4,942 posts, read 3,433,436 times
Reputation: 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Honestly, my first guess was that they were used to turn the sets on and off.
The would imply a mechanical switch. On many modern TVs you will have a hard time finding the on/off button. Changing channels is another one that may be possible from the TV panel. Anything else, remote strictly required. Changing inputs is a good example.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2020, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
10,262 posts, read 12,969,549 times
Reputation: 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I think they’re for unlocking the wall mount so you can lift the TV to plug/unplug cables.
^This.

https://blog.puls.com/tv-dismounting...ehensive-guide
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2020, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,037 posts, read 1,305,085 times
Reputation: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The would imply a mechanical switch. On
many modern TVs you will have a hard time finding
the on/off button. Changing channels is another one
that may be possible from the TV panel. Anything else,
remote strictly required. Changing inputs is a good
example.

The 24hr. laundromat I wait 5-10 minutes in across from my job has three smaller LEDs throughout, each with those two cords hanging down. I just figured, institutional setting, special models. One cord pulls On, the other, Off. Remotes stowed safely in the storage or office, or at the laundry owners home.


I find the recent trend toward removal of buttons from the cases of TVs to be, putting it gently, stupid. In my time, you had on/off/volume, bright, contrast, color, etc. knobs all in a row on a panel next to or beneath the picture. The way they're supposed to be.

On modern panels, for me, Power, volume, channel, input, and menu buttons should be mandatory, from 20"diagonal up to 100".

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 03-31-2020 at 01:25 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2020, 04:38 PM
 
2,357 posts, read 767,576 times
Reputation: 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
The 24hr. laundromat I wait 5-10 minutes in across from my job has three smaller LEDs throughout, each with those two cords hanging down. I just figured, institutional setting, special models. One cord pulls On, the other, Off. Remotes stowed safely in the storage or office, or at the laundry owners home.


I find the recent trend toward removal of buttons from the cases of TVs to be, putting it gently, stupid. In my time, you had on/off/volume, bright, contrast, color, etc. knobs all in a row on a panel next to or beneath the picture. The way they're supposed to be.

On modern panels, for me, Power, volume, channel, input, and menu buttons should be mandatory, from 20"diagonal up to 100".
"Your time"? You're not even 50 yet are you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2020, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,037 posts, read 1,305,085 times
Reputation: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
"Your time"? You're not even
50 yet are you?

It's complicated

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top