U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 04:17 PM
Lou Lou started this thread

720 posts, read 272,442 times

Advertisements

Do Sony TV's have such an edge over the competition to justify their prices? The time to replace my Vizio might be coming, and I was thinking about going with a Sony next time for ease of integration with my Playstation and the Sony AV receiver I'll probably get. So I went online to look at some Sony TVs, and the prices surprised me. The 43-inch TV's I found start at $600, but most other brands have models that start in the mid $200s and don't reach $600. I'm sure some of it is their reputation and pricing strategy, but do they have commensurate tech superiority?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 04:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 3,422,866 times
What integration? It's just a TV. Maybe the remote will work with your other Sony devices but that's about it.

The reason they charge those prices (imo) is because many people are brand loyal and they can get away with it. Sony has always been top notch quality but in reality, they are the same as any other top brand such as Samsung and LG. Yes, brand matters but what matters more are the specs of the TV. Check this site for reviews, they are pretty thorough. You may find some good recommendations.

https://www.rtings.com/

I've had great luck with LGs. I owned three plus a Samsung I have in my bedroom. It's an older 40" but has never given me problems. My main TV in my living room is an LG from 2010 if you can believe it and it still works well which is why I have not replaced it. I did purchase a 50" 4k model for my office and am very pleased with it. The price was right and the picture quality is stunning and I only paid about $300 out the door.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:02 AM

13,616 posts, read 6,742,749 times
Ultimately the brand is less important than the panel manufacturer. I don’t believe Sony makes their own LCD panels.

I also tend to favor Samsung or LG.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:02 PM

13,016 posts, read 15,125,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
What integration? It's just a TV. Maybe the remote will work with your other Sony devices but that's about it.
This exactly. Especially... a Playstation?!?

Old 04-17-2020, 12:48 PM

4,261 posts, read 1,769,888 times
Go to a store and compare the pictures yourself. Why are you replacing the Vizio's? We have two Vizios for several years now and can't think of any reason to replace them.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I've read that some brands have components that recognize each and have a certain amount of integrated functionality. For example, if you select your Blu-ray player on your TVs input, the Blu-ray player will turn on automatically. That in itself seems trivial, but it could add up to a more pleasant user experience if you can use one remote for everything and have those kinds of points of connectivity automated. But that was when I was before I looked at Sony's prices. Considering the huge jump in price for a Sony, I'll stick with LG (which I too have heard good things about) or Vizio and keep juggling remotes.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:15 AM

4,927 posts, read 3,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
if you select your Blu-ray player on your TVs input, the Blu-ray player will turn on automatically.
This is HDMI-CEC. Manufacturers each have their own name for it but it is a standard and not brand specific.

https://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how...hy-you-should/

Old 04-19-2020, 11:06 AM

Good to know. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2020, 01:52 PM

244 posts, read 98,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Ultimately the brand is less important than the panel manufacturer. I don’t believe Sony makes their own LCD panels.

I also tend to favor Samsung or LG.
But I heard that the Processor can affect the LCD or the OLED panels. If I had the money I would get a Sony or Samsung but I think Samsungs are really good too.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:42 AM

3,582 posts, read 3,066,945 times
Processor has a lot to do with the picture. As for the standard HDMI-CEC it is a standard but it is a b-tard of a standard with some manufacturers. That is from experience and talking with a friend who owns a dealer that sells a few brands.

As for Sony, I have found them the best for the full array 4K LED, but if I was going to a OLED, I would look seriously at Samsung since they do not burn in as easily. But my opinion and the only opinion that matters is the person purchasing and my suggestion is to spend a few weeks studying online, then head out to the stores and see each model and make your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics