U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 11:50 AM

753 posts, read 985,817 times

Advertisements

I want to buy 2 items which do very similar things, and I'm wondering if there's any product out there which combines them. What I want is a DVD player which can connect to my TV via an HDMI cable, and a CD drive which can connect to my computer via USB. I assume the CD format is the same, but maybe that's not true, and it's the reason why these things aren't made. They certainly aren't advertised that way by retail stores.

The way I'd use this would be to leave it connected to the TV in my bedroom most of the time. But once in a while, I want to rip an audio CD to the computer, in order to get that music onto my phone. And as of last year, I'm using a laptop without a CD drive, so I'm looking for a replacement for that function. I'd never need to write a CD--that's an obsolete feature, even if it's included. Ideas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 02:34 PM

13,638 posts, read 6,766,282 times
It’s not the format, it’s the usage. Honestly it would be cheaper to get an inexpensive DVD with HDMI out and a USB CD-R (or DVD-R, which writes CDs as well) than some sort of combined/hybrid device.

https://www.amazon.com/Craig-Compact...7238437&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/External-CD-D...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Old 04-20-2020, 12:04 PM

4,941 posts, read 3,433,436 times
Or get a DVD burner for your laptop and use it to play DVD's and rip audio CDs. It would be one device and it could be an external or internal drive if your laptop has the space for it. This is assuming you have HDMI out on your laptop, If all you have is VGA out you would need that type input on your TV or get an adapter of some sort. Most modern laptops have HDMI.

What brand/model of laptop?

Old 04-21-2020, 10:19 AM

41,823 posts, read 44,909,646 times
A "CD" or "DVD" can be two different animals. CD Audio and DVD Video have strict standard for the file formats, folder/file structure etc. Any player displaying those logos has to be able to play these discs. A CD audio player that can play MP3 for example is added feature.

A data DVD/CD can contain any type of file and doesn't necessarily need to be compatible with CD audio/DVD Video discs but most are.

A DVD/CD drive for a computer can be used for both because the software on the computer handles it.

There is no reason a standalone drive couldn't be both a player and data drive but I donlt think I have ever seen one. If you find one it's probably going to be expensive because of low demand and something like that may run afoul of the RIAA tax making it even more expensive.

The RIAA tax is applied to home recording devices thus the reason why common CD audio players are not recorders.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:54 PM

13,638 posts, read 6,766,282 times
Again, I’ve posted 2 links that sum up to under $50 for 2 devices. This is a case where separate is cheaper and better.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:45 PM

753 posts, read 985,817 times
Thanks for the responses, and I decided that you're all basically right--if a combined item exists, it's going to be expensive, whereas neither of the individual disk drives costs very much. I've ordered a DVD drive (not going into a store in these times, even if they're open) and I'll get the external drive for the computer when I have disks to read. In case you wonder, I didn't order a region-free disk player, but we have one for our other TV. Usually we're just watching disks from the library or Redbox, but we've had a couple from England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics