U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 04:45 PM

30,663 posts, read 37,005,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Lots of people? Maybe in your little world? I don't agree. MOST PEOPLE LIVE ON/FOR THEIR PHONE, it's their whole life, literally. They don't take their eyes off the stupid thing. It's the first thing they look at when they wake up and the last thing they look at when they go to sleep. All you have to do is look around, anywhere and everywhere. Jeez.

I know they have been making them for years, I USED THEM over a decade ago. I probably have a few in a junk drawer. I would not call them extremely popular either, LOL.
LOL. Nope, not just "my little world".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 06:24 PM

2,529 posts, read 808,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. Nope, not just "my little world".
Mine too!

I'm under no illusion that my preference to use a standalone MP3 player WHILE EXERCISING to listen to podcasts and some (limited) music is somehow superior or universal. Not at all. But it works well for me. My phone is too big and heavy to work out with.

Plus, inevitably, it's the phone addicts (who claim they're using them just for music) who are the ones zoning out on YT or texting while hogging the machines.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:26 PM

7,068 posts, read 4,479,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
*sigh* No, that's not what that means.

You are a perfect candidate for Google Play Music. Upload all your music and get a Spotify-like music service all in one.

I use it but apparently they're replacing it with a different service called youtube music. I just hope it has the same functionalities otherwise I'm out.

About this thread... I don't understand why people are blaming other people because they do something they wouldn't do themselves... mp3 players have a lot of use, if you don't like them don't buy them. I mean who cares.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:20 AM

3,096 posts, read 3,421,110 times
I totally agree with the OP, that everything should have a mircoSD slot built in, car stereos, boomboxes and TV sets. My old Samsung Rugby2 flip phone has a loudspeaker function and good little mp3 player built in, and it remembers where I left off in the playlist so long as I select "save" when I'm done with my bike ride. Weight and durability is important, having a phone, MP3 and speaker in such a small package is so nice, easy to mount near the handlebars where I can hear it good. Too bad AT&T is dumping 3G in 2022, and I will lose the phone function from my old Rugby.

The companies hate it when people listen to their own music and pre recorded movies, they can't intrude with their advertising. They interfere with what people really want to make more money, and collude with each other to keep the designs in line with whats most profitable. This is the reason we don't have good HD TV tuners built into the smartphones so you can watch TV without using any data. They don't want you watching TV, they want you using data and buying apps, and watching their advertising. At least my moto E4 has an FM radio built in, a rare feature, but you must use wired headphones which acts as an antenna, and it pulls in the stations really good.

Smart TV's..... why is there not a feature that allows you to rename/reprogram the channel number. Example, I don't want to push 4 buttons on the remote to get to channel 17.3 , what I want to do is reassign all my favorite channels with new numbers starting with channel 1, then there will never be any need for me to push more than 2 buttons to get to any channel I want, my favorite channels would be on 1 thru 9 so I only push 1 button to get to them. Digital technology should make this feature a breeze to incorporate.

Last edited by mofford; 05-23-2020 at 01:30 AM..

Old 05-23-2020, 06:19 AM

13,748 posts, read 6,861,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I use it but apparently they're replacing it with a different service called youtube music. I just hope it has the same functionalities otherwise I'm out.

About this thread... I don't understand why people are blaming other people because they do something they wouldn't do themselves... mp3 players have a lot of use, if you don't like them don't buy them. I mean who cares.
They’ve been replacing GPM with YTM for years already. Still no final date.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:45 AM

7,068 posts, read 4,479,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
They’ve been replacing GPM with YTM for years already. Still no final date.

Yeah I know but GPM still works and YTM still looks like it's a beta version.

I only use GPM like an external / cloud type Itunes / Ipod thing, basically I just use the upload thing with my own music for free. I have my favorite music on my mp3 players, but I have all of my music on GPM, because there's stuff I rarely play but still want available in case.

If YTM does the same thing for free, great, but I still haven't understood if it will work or no and Google remains evasive on the matter.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:03 PM

13,077 posts, read 15,184,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
The companies hate it when people listen to their own music and pre recorded movies, they can't intrude with their advertising.
If you pay the monthly fee, there are no ads. If you want it free, you hear ads. Most people actually appreciate this business model.

Quote:
This is the reason we don't have good HD TV tuners built into the smartphones so you can watch TV without using any data.
No. The reason they don't have HD Tuners in phones is... because they wouldn't fit inside a phone. And if they could fit one the reception would probably be so poor, you'd have to stand next to a broadcast tower to pick anything up.

Quote:
At least my moto E4 has an FM radio built in, a rare feature, but you must use wired headphones which acts as an antenna, and it pulls in the stations really good.
I do wish they had stopped putting those in.

Quote:
Digital technology should make this feature a breeze to incorporate.
There are remotes you can buy that can simplify this.
Logitech being a good one.

Old 05-26-2020, 03:58 PM

1,965 posts, read 2,470,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Smart TV's..... why is there not a feature that allows you to rename/reprogram the channel number. Example, I don't want to push 4 buttons on the remote to get to channel 17.3 , what I want to do is reassign all my favorite channels with new numbers starting with channel 1, then there will never be any need for me to push more than 2 buttons to get to any channel I want, my favorite channels would be on 1 thru 9 so I only push 1 button to get to them. Digital technology should make this feature a breeze to incorporate.
Get a Harmony remote. Problem solved.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:59 PM

13,077 posts, read 15,184,641 times
WISH they HADN'T*removed FM radios.

Wish I could edit posts after 10 minutes.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:58 PM

13,748 posts, read 6,861,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Yeah I know but GPM still works and YTM still looks like it's a beta version.

I only use GPM like an external / cloud type Itunes / Ipod thing, basically I just use the upload thing with my own music for free. I have my favorite music on my mp3 players, but I have all of my music on GPM, because there's stuff I rarely play but still want available in case.

If YTM does the same thing for free, great, but I still haven't understood if it will work or no and Google remains evasive on the matter.
I’ve been paying for (and using) GPM since it started and I’m grandfathered into the $7.99 plan which includes Youtube Premium. While not the absolute best service I’ve found music on it that I haven’t found elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics