Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 08:13 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Problem with this (and I would know) is the letters and arrows start to wear off on the remote control so I started to use a popsicle stick to press the buttons and that seemed to solve that problem but now my wife is avoiding me...
You could wrap it in cellophane like my mother in law does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 11:23 AM

2,452 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
no, no, no!!
if SanDisk can make a standalone MP3 headphone player the size of a matchbook that holds 32 GB of music or better, , why in the Sam Hill can't that technology just be built right into an home audio receiver or a boombox? my goodness!!
I doubt that it is an issue of can't. There probably isn't a profitable market for it.

Quote:
I like products FULLY SELF CONTAINED.
But your SanDisk isn't. How do you get the music on it? Right, you plug it into something...

Old 05-03-2020, 07:58 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Jeez, I have a Sandisk player (actually a few, but only one with substantial battery life), a Sony Walkman audiophile player (not the expensive ones though) and I have just bought an old Ipod to flashmod it and increase the storage.

And I'm a son of baby boomers.

These things are fun. Why not using them if you're into it.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:38 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Hey there, OP. On the one hand, I think that many of the folks here are right and the closest thing you're gonna find to what you want in terms of actual functionality, would involve your phone and everything else being a bluetooth speaker type device.

You're jogging? Get a bluetooth headset. Pair it with your phone, tell your phone what to play, stick your phone in your pocket or pack and off you go. Some phones have those little fitbit looking devices that could be used to control the music you're playing on it most likely (I'd be shocked if they couldn't) and that's similar to your "matchbook sized" solution.

You're driving? Many car stereos have bluetooth now. Pair up your phone and set it to go, I think (not sure, I do have an older car stereo myself) that usually the display on the dash can be used to control what's playing from the phone.

At home? No need to carry the phone around, any more than you'll be carrying your speakers or your stereo system around. It's bluetooth wireless as well. Pair up the phone, hit play, set the phone down and forget about it until you want to change up the music.

Where I feel your pain, is specifically in terms of how to access the music itself. I don't like to store my entire music library directly in hard files in my phone's storage, though many phones can take an SD card that would hold it, sure. I keep all of my tunes in my Google cloud storage, which I can access from multiple devices, but finding any way to build playlists out of that, besides like Windows Media Player on my computer, seems difficult. Or impossible. I had an app called "Beat" for a little bit that seemed to do it, but then it stopped working and was no longer supported. And heaven help me if I store any files in my Google drive also that I don't want whatever app developer to have full access to as they please, because I'm pretty sure that's what I have to agree to in the "permissions." *sigh* OK so storing my music library on Google cloud maybe isn't the best way. Then there are the streaming services like Spotify. I have a premium account and I like that quite a bit, it's allowed me to discover more new (to me) music that I love, than I had in years before using it. Neat! But the very few songs that I love, but are really obscure and not found on Spotify, I cannot upload to my own library there or play from there.

Irrational as it may seem to those who love AppleMacs & iThingies, I have a strong aversion to that entire brand, though I know odds are iTunes would be a solution that would work for my conundrum of bringing harmony between a streaming service and my privately owned files, and playing them pretty much wherever. Alas. I refuse to go there, and am stuck fiddling about looking for a solid cross-platform solution. Though I have a different notion in my head of what that would look like, than the OP does.

Oh, and OP, what I think is kinda cool about being accustomed to using bluetooth and your phone for music stuff, I was at a BBQ at a friend's house a couple of years back and she had a bluetooth speaker set up in the back yard, and we were allowed and encouraged to take turns playing music on it. I rented a car during a trip last year, it had bluetooth, I was able to play my music just like that. No worrying about remembering to carry along your physical media...which even though you're thinking of something like an SD card, it's STILL hanging on to the idea of physical media.

For most of us who have accepted a broader range of usefulness to our phones, the appeal is that we carry it around anyways, so we might as well use it for whatever it can do that makes life more convenient. I feel absolutely spoiled and pampered having Google Maps on mine. Really has helped me out a few times, when I've been hiking out on some of the more rugged little goat-path trails out here, and lost my way. Not to mention making a wrong turn in the car and finding myself in unfamiliar surroundings, and confused. I just pull into a parking lot or off the road, and check my map and get myself straightened out. Just because I also grew up in a time when phones were just for calling people (I'm Gen X, though) doesn't mean that I'm mad that they can do other things these days.

Try not to let it get to ya.

And good luck, I hope you find a satisfactory solution to your media issues. I definitely sympathize, it can be frustrating.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:07 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
It's not odd at all. I don't like to constantly carry my phone in my hand like a zombie. I need to use my two hands to do other things while listening to music. I'm a baby boomer, you know. I'm from the day when telephones hung on the wall and were for talking to humans at a distance. I use my SanDisk MP3 player and headset to go for a walk because it's very small, very light and clips onto my collar. I have my entire 20 GB home music library in something the size and weight of a matchbook. It's about having all the music instantly available, fast and convenient. Who wants to go through all the trouble of turning the boombox on and fiddling with the phone on top of that to play music? It involves time, energy and more work. Having the music library right on board the boombox itself seems more logical. Just turn it on and start listening to your home music library on the go.

Do you have to use your phone to watch TV in the living room? Why then use your phone to listen to music on a home stereo or a portable boombox even?
I have several Sansa clip mp3 players. I have a couple of knock-offs too, that work fine. I use them for running and the gym - I hate carrying my phone around during those times.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You insist on carrying it around, who does that? You put it in your pocket or use a phone holder. That is if you must have it with you.

Otherwise, you set it down on the couch or on the table and it keeps playing to your stereo, boombox or even your earphones if you are within 30 feet of it. My wife walks around the house with her bluetooth headset on but her phone stays in one place, usually on the counter in the kitchen.

Isn't your SanDisk another piece of crap you have to recharge as well? Does it have a perpetual battery?
No thanks. No pockets, and those armband phone holders look stupid. I love my Sansa Clips.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:20 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No thanks. No pockets, and those armband phone holders look stupid. I love my Sansa Clips.
A lot of people like flip phones too. It doesn't mean anything. It's your preference. If you think it looks stupid, again, that's your opinion. I only use the armband in the gym or on my bicycle and I couldn't care less what other people think. Does the Sansa Clip stream from your own music collection that you keep on your home computer? I didn't think so.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:27 PM

26 posts, read 8,607 times
I've still got Sony mp3 player from 3 years ago that has been run over (bike) and accidentally dropped in water (let it recover in the sun) and its still running like new even though it looks like crap on the outside. pfft. Looks are overated. I'll buy a new one when this tough SOB craps out.

And yeah, I plug this into speakers when I want to listen to music around the apartment.

I like my phone and mp3 music seperate.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
A lot of people like flip phones too. It doesn't mean anything. It's your preference. If you think it looks stupid, again, that's your opinion. I only use the armband in the gym or on my bicycle and I couldn't care less what other people think. Does the Sansa Clip stream from your own music collection that you keep on your home computer? I didn't think so.
My clip has 8gb of storage, and also a a card slot for extra. So yes, it will hold all the music I need it to. No issues with that at all. My phone has 32gb of storage - and maybe 2 free gb. And I certainly have no intention or desire to pay more (a lot more) for a new phone to store music on.

And yes, I know some people wear their phones on their arms, but to be honest I see fewer and fewer that do, lately. Most now drop their phones into their gym shorts pockets. And the girls just carry the phones around with them. I will say that recently I have seen more ladies active wear pants/shorts with a side pocket for a phone. So that is progress, but it sure did take a long time.
Still, I like the freedom of no phone with me. My Sansa just clips onto the neckline of my sports bra or top, and I practically forget it about it. The Clip just offers me more freedom. That doesn't mean it's right for everyone. But it's perfect for me.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:59 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My clip has 8gb of storage, and also a a card slot for extra. So yes, it will hold all the music I need it to. No issues with that at all. My phone has 32gb of storage - and maybe 2 free gb. And I certainly have no intention or desire to pay more (a lot more) for a new phone to store music on.
I guess you kind of missed the point. With my setup I don't store any music on the phone itself. I stream (play) it over the internet or wifi if I am at home, from my home computer where I have my entire collection. It is way more than I could ever store on a phone, currently over 600 gb. No need to hassle with transferring music. There are many other streaming options, spotify, pandora, amazon, internet radio etc etc. You can't do that with a Sansa. I also listen to music like this in the car or anywhere else I happen to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics