U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 04:36 PM

138 posts, read 65,390 times

Advertisements

digital music audio playback devices (automobile, home, portable) need much improvement

1. one should not have to couple another device (smartphone, iPod or clip-on MP3 player) to a playback device (boombox, home stereo, car head unit) via bluetooth, Apple dock or headset jack...of course, the device may still offer those options for digital music playback

2. the playback device (boombox, home stereo, car head unit) should have a microSD slot: an entire home music library can fit on one card

3. the playback device should handle music in M3U format playlists and perhaps the audiophile-quality WAV format as well

4. the readout panel on the playback device (boombox, car head unit, etc. ) should be used for navigating and controlling the digital music media on the card; it should manage playlists and custom playback options as well

5. the device should feature a way of bookmarking playlists: this way, the user can switch from one playlist to another and resume music playback from the point where the playlist was left previously: the user should also have the option of starting a selected playlist over from the beginning

for example, the user switches from the Jazz playlist to the Classical playlist: at the time of the switch, track 5 of the Jazz playlist was playing 1 minute into the song, when the user returns to the Jazz playlist, he should be able to instantly resume playback 1 minute into track 5 OR start the Jazz playlist from the beginning

6. the device shoud be able to shuffle and repeat playlists

7. the device should also be able to select songs from two or more playlists automatically: the listener might want to listen to a music mix across several playlists: I would call this a playlist shuffle feature

8. as long as there is enough memory on the microSD card, there should be no limit to the number of playlists the playback device can manage nor to the the number of tracks on each playlist

Do you need a smartphone or a separate portable USB device to be able to play music CD's, 8-track tapes, audio cassettes or vinyl records? Then why should you need a bunch of separate devices to play back digital music in your car or in your home? I want to see stand-alone digital audio playback devices be fully self-contained and fully functional.

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 04-20-2020 at 04:48 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 09:08 AM

13,051 posts, read 15,159,476 times
Odd post. MP3 players aren't really a thing now. We have these things called phones.

1. My phone has a speaker.

2. My entire music library fits on my SD Card-less phone.

3.Phone does

4. The screen does this.

5. Honestly don't know if it does this. I don't do that.

6. It does

7. Also something I don't generally do

8. If there's a limit I've never hit it.

My phone also lets me create smart playlists, called OTF Playlists.
I can create a playlist with conditions:
Play Songs I have not listened to in 3 months
or
Play all my 5 star rated songs ... songs are auto added as I rate them
or
Play 100 of the songs I've listened to the most (or least)
It's really pretty great.

Quote:
Do you need a smartphone or a separate portable USB device to be able to play music CD's, 8-track tapes, audio cassettes or vinyl records? Then why should you need a bunch of separate devices to play back digital music in your car or in your home?
Apples - Oranges.
Could you make playlists with those CD's or 8 track tapes? Could you put them in your pocket and walk around with them? I'd say we're in a better place today.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:50 AM

41,823 posts, read 44,954,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

That doesn't go very far for loud outdoor party. I have a Sony boom box, it has docking station for the iphone and mini jack input for other devices.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Odd post. MP3 players aren't really a thing now. We have these things called phones.

2. My entire music library fits on my SD Card-less phone.

3.Phone does

4. The screen does this.

5. Honestly don't know if it does this. I don't do that.

6. It does

7. Also something I don't generally do

8. If there's a limit I've never hit it.

My phone also lets me create smart playlists, called OTF Playlists.
I can create a playlist with conditions:
Play Songs I have not listened to in 3 months
or
Play all my 5 star rated songs ... songs are auto added as I rate them
or
Play 100 of the songs I've listened to the most (or least)
It's really pretty great.

Apples - Oranges.
Could you make playlists with those CD's or 8 track tapes? Could you put them in your pocket and walk around with them? I'd say we're in a better place today.

It's not odd at all. I don't like to constantly carry my phone in my hand like a zombie. I need to use my two hands to do other things while listening to music. I'm a baby boomer, you know. I'm from the day when telephones hung on the wall and were for talking to humans at a distance. I use my SanDisk MP3 player and headset to go for a walk because it's very small, very light and clips onto my collar. I have my entire 20 GB home music library in something the size and weight of a matchbook. It's about having all the music instantly available, fast and convenient. Who wants to go through all the trouble of turning the boombox on and fiddling with the phone on top of that to play music? It involves time, energy and more work. Having the music library right on board the boombox itself seems more logical. Just turn it on and start listening to your home music library on the go.

Do you have to use your phone to watch TV in the living room? Why then use your phone to listen to music on a home stereo or a portable boombox even?

Old 04-21-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That doesn't go very far for loud outdoor party. I have a Sony boom box, it has docking station for the iphone and mini jack input for other devices.
My older Sony boombox has an iPod docker too but I own no iPod. Expensive crap. I have to use the not-so-elegant method of hooking my cheap SanDisk Mp3 player to the In jack. No USB or card slots. No Bluetooth. I wish boombox makers, car radio head unit makers and home stereo receiver makers would just fully integrate MP3 libraries into the unit itself. They will need a readout window much like my SanDisk to navigate the music libraries. Just one simple electronic playback device for an entire music library. It's not rocket science. Phone speakers don't have audiophile quality.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:30 PM

4,950 posts, read 3,443,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
It's not odd at all. I don't like to constantly carry my phone in my hand like a zombie. I need to use my two hands to do other things while listening to music. I'm a baby boomer, you know. I'm from the day when telephones hung on the wall and were for talking to humans at a distance. I use my SanDisk MP3 player and headset to go for a walk because it's very small, very light and clips onto my collar. I have my entire 20 GB home music library in something the size and weight of a matchbook. It's about having all the music instantly available, fast and convenient. Who wants to go through all the trouble of turning the boombox on and fiddling with the phone on top of that to play music? It involves time, energy and more work. Having the music library right on board the boombox itself seems more logical. Just turn it on and start listening to your home music library on the go.

Do you have to use your phone to watch TV in the living room? Why then use your phone to listen to music on a home stereo or a portable boombox even?
All of this is easy to solve if you get up to speed on the current technology.

I sometimes use my phone to play music on my home sound system or boombox. Neither had bluetooth and I did not want to replace them just to have that capability so I added it with a bluetooth receiver. They plug into AUX input of either one. I got two and they probably average $30 each.

As for keeping my music collection on my phone, it's quite large, over 600gb. I wouldn't even try. I have no need for it all. I did however find a way to stream from my home PC to my smartphone. No need to keep it on hand. My phone does happen to support a MicroSD card which can hold quite a bit. I do keep some music on it just in case I am in an area with no internet available, it happens.

The phone fits in my pocket but when I work out, I carry it in a holder that straps around my arm, I use BT earphones to listen. I can listen to whatever I want from my entire collection and yes I create my own playlists.

The only requirement is you have to have the smartphone of course and a home PC which you need to be on, at least when you want to stream music. That is not the only thing I use it for, so it's already there and it stays on 24/7. Not a big deal. Now that I think about it, you don't even need the PC, you can stream from music you store on the cloud.

I am also a baby boomer by the way.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
All of this is easy to solve if you get up to speed on the current technology.

I sometimes use my phone to play music on my home sound system or boombox. Neither had bluetooth and I did not want to replace them just to have that capability so I added it with a bluetooth receiver. They plug into AUX input of either one. I got two and they probably average $30 each.

As for keeping my music collection on my phone, it's quite large, over 600gb. I wouldn't even try. I have no need for it all. I did however find a way to stream it from my home PC to my smartphone. No need to keep it on hand. My phone does happen to support a MicroSD card which can hold quote a bit. I do keep some music on it just in case I am in an area with no internet available, it happens.

The phone fits in my pocket but when I work out, I carry it in a holder that straps around my arm, I use BT earphones to listen. I can listen to whatever I want from my entire collection and yes I create my own playlists.

The only requirement is you have to have the smartphone of course and a home PC which you need to be on, at least when you want to stream music. That is not the only thing I use it for, so it's already there and it stays on 24/7. Not a big deal. Now that I think about it, you don't even need the PC, you can stream from music you store on the cloud.

I am also a baby boomer by the way.

no, no, no!!

that defeats my whole purpose

like I said, I want to get away from multiple devices

I'm living in a world full of morons in the consumer audio products industry.

no, I'm not up to speed with having to have to deal with a number of gadgets just to turn the stupid boombox on and listen to my Bach collection while I wash dishes: modern times are supposed to make things simpler not trickier: LESS is MORE

no, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba and others need to get up to speed and simply allow the music library to be integrated right into the stupid boombox, why don't they have brains to think of that ...I just want to turn on the boombox and hear Bach playing right then and there... simple ... one step

if SanDisk can make a standalone MP3 headphone player the size of a matchbook that holds 32 GB of music or better, , why in the Sam Hill can't that technology just be built right into an home audio receiver or a boombox? my goodness!!

when I go for a walk, I take my non-Bluetooth SanDisk clipped onto my collar with a corded headset: my entire home library is right there with me
I want my entire home music library to be built inside a boombox in my kitchen as well. If SanDisk can do this with something the size of a matchbook,
there's no reason under the sun Sony can't also do this with something the size of a boombox.

When one has a Bluetooth headset, that's just another device that has to be plugged in and charged.

I like products FULLY SELF CONTAINED.

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 04-21-2020 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-21-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
no, no, no!!

that defeats my whole purpose

like I said, I want to get away from multiple devices

I'm living in a world full of morons in the consumers products industry.

no I'm not up to speed with having to have a number of gadgets just turn the stupid boombox on nd listen to my Bach collection: modern times are supposed to make things simpler not trickier: LESS is MORE
You already have the phone right? You said you walk around with it, and you have the stereo or boombox, right? So what other gadgets are you talking about. The Bt receiver is there all of the time. You turn on the stereo, it's already there and connected and will automatically connect to the phone.

Technology DOES make things simpler. SOME people just can't grasp it, maybe that's the issue?

Technology will not change for you, it's the other way around. Get with the times or don't, your choice.

It is an odd post.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Sony needs to get up to speed and simply allow the music library to be integrated right into the stupid boombox, why don't they have brains to think of that ...I just want to turn on the boombox and hear Bach playing right then and there... simple ... one step
This is stupid. What happens when you want to hear it in the car, do you want it integrated into your car stereo too, or your home stereo or someone else's sound system.

And what does Sony have to do with it? LOL?

Old 04-21-2020, 02:52 PM

13,658 posts, read 6,803,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This is stupid. What happens when you want to hear it in the car, do you want it integrated into your car stereo too, or your home stereo or someone else's sound system.

And what does Sony have to do with it? LOL?
Ironically technology has gone the other way, to make the device the “appliance” with the smarts in the streaming service. I can listen in my car via CarPlay, around my house on my Sonos, or walking on my phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics