Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 02:06 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

Electric Mower Batteries: How Powerful Are They?
https://meangreenproducts.com/blog/e...wer-batteries/

I cut roughly 6000SF of grass in one charge unless the grass is extra tall, I may not quite finish it. It doesn't matter, I can rest and have a cold drink while it recharges and quickly finish it off. I like the idea of two batteries and in fact you can get the mower with two. If you try to buy it on it's own the (5ah) battery costs close to $200. Maybe it will go down in price eventually. I can also say from experience, the mower is just as or more powerful than a 4hp gas mower.

Here's a good article on this subject.
http://www.stevepake.com/life/2018/5...wer-horsepower

Last edited by gguerra; 04-22-2020 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 03:05 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I can pretty much guarantee that an 18v mower will bog down way before a 56v. Voltage does matter in a practical sense, when you start to cut tall thick grass.
True, but
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I have .17 ac of 1.5 inch high Bermudagrass on a flat lot.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:54 PM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
I have no idea what your motive is to use a battery powered mower, but you should be made aware that batteries are pretty expensive and don't last very long when you run them down completely before recharging them: you get two so you can use one and run it down half way, then change to the second one and run it down half way, then recharge them both before next use.

Verbum sapienti sufficit.

BTW- units that go with higher voltage are usually more powerful. They can achieve higher watts with a smaller battery.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:01 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I have no idea what your motive is to use a battery powered mower, but you should be made aware that batteries are pretty expensive and don't last very long when you run them down completely before recharging them: you get two so you can use one and run it down half way, then change to the second one and run it down half way, then recharge them both before next use.

Verbum sapienti sufficit.

BTW- units that go with higher voltage are usually more powerful. They can achieve higher watts with a smaller battery.
Hasn't California banned mowers with a gasoline engine? I'm sure there are all sorts of exclusions, but if that's the case then the ban would be motive for homeowners to buy an electric mower.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I have no idea what your motive is to use a battery powered mower
It's not really about the environment although that is important.

If you have no idea then I would assume you have never really dealt with gas powered mowers and mowed lawns on a regular basis. They are a big hassle. The gas goes bad, they break down constantly, even the good ones. Unless you a small engine mechanic, they are a PITA. Some electric mowers have evolved to be a perfect machines in my opinion. They are not practical for commercial use of course, I don't care about that. I don't mow lawns for a living. I use it every 2 to 3 weeks and it just works and works well when I want it to. As far as cost, you get what you pay for.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:03 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's not really about the environment although that is important.

If you have no idea then I would assume you have never really dealt with gas powered mowers and mowed lawns on a regular basis. They are a big hassle. The gas goes bad, they break down constantly, even the good ones. Unless you a small engine mechanic, they are a PITA. Some electric mowers have evolved to be a perfect machines in my opinion. They are not practical for commercial use of course, I don't care about that. I don't mow lawns for a living. I use it every 2 to 3 weeks and it just works and works well when I want it to. As far as cost, you get what you pay for.
I don't think he was saying "I can't imagine you having any motive to use an electric mower"; I think he was saying "I don't know what your own personal motive is".

That said, as a competent small engine mechanic who's been using small IC engines since I was about 10 years old, any time I can avoid dealing with a small IC engine and replace with electricity for a small enough penalty in cost, weight, and usability, I'm all over it, more or less for the reasons you stated. I don't have trouble with my small engines, but the amount of hassle to avoid problems with the small IC engine is much greater than for an electric motor, where you basically connect it to power (outlet or battery) and push "ON" and you're in business.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
push "ON" and you're in business.
That's my personal motive AND none of hassles I have gotten with gas engines.

It's a bit more money but some things are worth it.

He wasn't quoting me anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics