U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2020, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Lawton, OK
138 posts, read 65,936 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

1. has at least 100 watts per channel?
2. can be hooked up to a Samsung Smart TV?
3. has Bluetooth connectivity?


Also, which are the best pair of floor speakers for about $200/pair to go with it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2020, 07:21 PM
 
13,765 posts, read 6,878,760 times
Reputation: 13242
For speakers I’d check out your local thrift shop (safely and when open). You could probably get great speakers for next to nothing.

$200 isn’t a huge budget for new speakers. I think pricing would start closer to $200 each.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2020, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Boydton, VA
3,326 posts, read 4,009,094 times
Reputation: 6773
You need a realistic budget, or buy used equipment on craigslist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2020, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Lawton, OK
138 posts, read 65,936 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
For speakers I’d check out your local thrift shop (safely and when open). You could probably get great speakers for next to nothing.

$200 isn’t a huge budget for new speakers. I think pricing would start closer to $200 each.

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-...s%2C192&sr=1-4

The above speakers ($135 a pair including shipping) look promising for blue-collar priced speakers according to reviews.
Should I also get a subwoofer if the receiver supports it?

I want shiny brand-new stuff.

What about the receiver?

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 04-23-2020 at 09:52 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2020, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Huntsville Area
1,952 posts, read 753,251 times
Reputation: 2998
Does anyone have great sounding sound systems any longer?

I thought everyone listened to music thru cheap Chinese earphones.

I had one friend that had the speakers out of a Nashville recording studio in his house hooked to a McIntosh tube pre-amp/power amp with twin Thorens turntables. Only the best of the best.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2020, 09:47 PM
 
1,639 posts, read 819,596 times
Reputation: 2857
ive been itching to by a receivers too. im still in the early stages of research on which to get. i do see slickdeals have some deals from time to time in the $250-$300 range like this one that just expired https://slickdeals.net/f/13993736-pi...archBarV2Algo1 take the comments posted for what it's worth , but it seems like this is one of the better ones.

theres a onkyo for 250 currently on slickdeals: https://slickdeals.net/deals/receiver/

edit: onkyo seems to have expired as well...its $380 now

Last edited by DonaldJTrump; 04-23-2020 at 10:02 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2020, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Lawton, OK
138 posts, read 65,936 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Does anyone have great sounding sound systems any longer?

I thought everyone listened to music thru cheap Chinese earphones.

I had one friend that had the speakers out of a Nashville recording studio in his house hooked to a McIntosh tube pre-amp/power amp with twin Thorens turntables. Only the best of the best.
I don't like to sport a headset around the house. I enjoy good music through powerful ambient loudspeakers.
I don't want a surround-sound tuner/amp, just a good stereo one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2020, 06:23 AM
 
13,765 posts, read 6,878,760 times
Reputation: 13242
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
I don't like to sport a headset around the house. I enjoy good music through powerful ambient loudspeakers.
I don't want a surround-sound tuner/amp, just a good stereo one.
Here you go

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-2-...?skuId=6187501

And another

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-...?skuId=5037100

Last edited by markjames68; 04-24-2020 at 06:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2020, 08:53 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
4,964 posts, read 3,464,083 times
Reputation: 5884
^^^ That Yamaha looks perfect and you can't beat the price. $129 is a steal.

For good budget speakers I would recommend Polk.

Here are some Polks for $120 a piece, $240 for the pair.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-au...?skuId=4227200

$240 + $129 = $369 plus tax and from the same place. If you shop around a bit you may be able lower the price a bit.

Edit: If what you are after is the bluetooth, you can easily add that to any existing system for about $40. I have two of these and they work great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBCAW2/

There's even cheaper ones like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/NFC-Enabled-B...dp/B00YPATOEE/

Last edited by gguerra; 04-24-2020 at 09:14 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2020, 09:57 AM
 
13,765 posts, read 6,878,760 times
Reputation: 13242
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
^^^ That Yamaha looks perfect and you can't beat the price. $129 is a steal.

For good budget speakers I would recommend Polk.

Here are some Polks for $120 a piece, $240 for the pair.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-au...?skuId=4227200

$240 + $129 = $369 plus tax and from the same place. If you shop around a bit you may be able lower the price a bit.

Edit: If what you are after is the bluetooth, you can easily add that to any existing system for about $40. I have two of these and they work great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBCAW2/

There's even cheaper ones like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/NFC-Enabled-B...dp/B00YPATOEE/
Good price on those Polk speakers. I would definitely pay a few $ more and get them. Dayton seems to have good reviews but I've never heard of them before.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:43 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top