U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 03:19 PM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 3 days ago)

15,541 posts, read 23,370,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i guess FLAC ?
with storage and transfer rates being measured in Gb these days (instead of Mb), whats the point of .mp3 ?
Duh. There is no point to compressed formats.

Beethoven's 9th Symphony (Karl Böhm and the Wiener Philharmoniker) is 375 MBytes in FLAC format.
So, 1000 copies would occupy 375 Gbytes on your disk.
If you have 3000 albums, then you can afford a 1TB drive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 03:27 PM

9,741 posts, read 4,730,967 times
Well, I define "audiophile quality" as a term of marketeering.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that OP is looking for a stereo amp < $200 and apparently also wants to buy brand new speakers for <$200.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:10 PM

41,823 posts, read 44,752,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
I always thought Monster cables were pure snake-oil salesmanship.

For starters they have better shielding which may or may not be important for your circumstances. On the flip side I have used the cheapest RCA cables you could possibly have to hook up component on a TV that have worked fine...

Old 04-30-2020, 10:17 AM

9,741 posts, read 4,730,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For starters they have better shielding which may or may not be important for your circumstances. On the flip side I have used the cheapest RCA cables you could possibly have to hook up component on a TV that have worked fine...
How do you know the shielding's better? Have you tested? You do realize we're not talking about RF here?

Old 05-01-2020, 08:44 AM

3,362 posts, read 2,436,895 times
Audiophile quality begins at a standard CD recording, which is better than any typical compressed format. For compressed, you need a lossless compression. With a good system, a quality CD master is just fine.

Some people have sensitive hearing and can hear the nuances of a recording where other people can't. I'm one of those people, though my sensitivity has decreased with age, I can no longer reliably hear above 15-16kHz or so, but I can tell the difference between distortion levels between audiophile and "consumer" grade gear. Home theaters receivers have really slipped in this regard, measured THD is usually between .10 or .08. That's a far cry from the "stereo" receivers back in the day or a separates system that are usually rated at .001 THD or better.

I have a small collection of Super Audio CDs and DSD files on my media server, that's as high res as it gets, but for the vast majority of people, it's overkill. It also never really caught on, so it's also pretty expensive. Even I prefer the sound from a standard CD recording sometimes vs the DSD version, as it can sound a bit less clinical and "warmer" which is the same reason some people prefer analog/vinyl over CD as well.

For me, the minimum standard for enjoyable listening is FLAC, as that's what I play in the car. At home, sometimes it just depends on the recording.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How do you know the shielding's better? Have you tested? You do realize we're not talking about RF here?

Shielding is important for analog video. There is a reason analog video over S-video is better than RCA(composite) and component is better than S-video. RCA has one channel, S-Video two and component three. By breaking the signal into different channels you prevent crosstalk between them.

Same thing applies to interference from external sources like RF. Interference may not even be noticeable unless you were doing side by side comparison.

I used to do lot of analog to digital video conversions so a side by side comparison becomes quite easy. While the difference between crap RCA cables, good RCA cables and S-video was minor it was present. When you are trying to do high quality conversion every little bit is important, it's the cumulative affect of everything in the chain that produces great transfer.

Can the average person justify buying the best Monster cable or equivalent product? Probably not. As I noted in my previous post I have used the cheapest RCA(composite) cable that was prepackaged with VCR or whatever for component video cable. Note it was only 2 or 3 foot cable. It worked well enough.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:30 PM

158 posts, read 66,061 times
I had a friend who built a room in his house for his listening pleasure. Super solid construction, raised floor, neutral acoustics... but wait, there's more. He had a JBL Citation series pre-amp and amp, JBL speakers and a Nakamichi Dragon turntable for which he bought a separate tone arm and a separate cartridge. This was back in early 80s. It was a pure stereo setup; two speakers.

He had some albums he played which blew my mind. One was a "sonic hologram" where someone was beating a wood block. The sound of that block started in front of me, moved around to my right and stopped dead behind me for a moment, then continued around to complete the circle. Nothing was moving, but it appeared the sound was moving. He also had a live 2-mic (stereo) recording of a jazz band in a nightclub. You could place each instrument on stage, this there and that there, but most impressively, you could occasionally hear a cash register ringing offstage to the left.

His system and albums preserved the phase relationship between the various sounds. Our brains localize sound by analyzing the very small difference in time that a sound reaches one ear vs the other. That's how we know there's a hungry bear right there, for example. In my opinion, recorded sound should preserve this timing, (the phase of the sounds) in order to called "audiophile." To my knowledge, there are no digital recordings capable of preserving the phase. SACD is recorded in surround sound, which approximates localization, but does not come close to the stage effect I heard all those years ago. Of course, in that stereo setup, a person must sit in the "sweet spot" or a diamond-shaped area where each speaker is equidistant and the sound pattern overlaps, so it's difficult to accommodate more than 2 people, and even 2 will be cozy.

Recorded sound has evolved since those days to simplify the storage and playback of large numbers of songs. Technology has made astounding advances in things like noise and dynamic range, but some things got lost in the process. It seems most people nowadays prize convenience over sound quality, which is why higher-quality formats like SACD never caught on. There is some value to being able to carry 10,000 songs around in your pocket, but I'm still nostalgic.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
The sound of that block started in front of me, moved around to my right and stopped dead behind me for a moment, then continued around to complete the circle. Nothing was moving, but it appeared the sound was moving.

Back in in the early 2000's I purchased what was best computer I ever had for the technology of the day. I had the best Soundblaster card and I completed the setup with Klipsch 5.1 sound system made for computers.

The door to the physical room was over my right shoulder. I was playing Morrowind and walked into room and it just happened the virtual door was positioned same as physical door. Some character came through the virtual door and started yelling or whatever.... scared the **** out of me. I stood up and spun around ready to punch someone. I still laugh about that today when I think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics