Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 10:25 AM

388 posts, read 326,628 times

Advertisements

day from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/616549345

So, far it is sucking moisture out of the air like a sponge and making my once-moldy SW Oklahoma home smell much sweeter. Humidity is God awful here in hot weather. But it's Chinese shoddiness shows. Chinese factory workers often don't pay attention to cosmetic detail. The Japanese were fussy and anal back in the decades when they built things for our market (even out of plastics).

Over the years I've seen the HONEYWELL name on wall thermostats, film cameras and cheesy appliances as fans and space heaters

I've owned one Honeywell fan in the 1990's and one Honeywell space heater in the 2000's each of which had no longevity.

Hopefully, I'll have better luck with this new Honeywell dehumidifier I bought the other day on account of its high reviews on Walmart customer reviews page.

My new Honeywell dehumidifier has some China cheesiness in cosmetics. Plastic mold flash (sprue) is evident in the top louvers for the vent. I had to carefully smooth it out with an Xacto knife, a small file, a sheet of hobby sandpaper, a toothbrush and Novus plastic polish with q-tips. Cosmetic detail is often overlooked in Chinese goods(or should I say bads). Also, the plastic drain hose has a rubber sleeve connector that slips over the drain nipple. I'm worried about it slipping off and flooding my living room. So, I used a moderate coat of clear silicone goop inside the rubber sleeve with a flat tip screwdriver and slipped it over the drain nipple on the back of the unit to cure. The drain hose is inside a 5-gallon Homer orange bucket and the unit is up on a chair: I will get a little plastic corner table for it later.

Honeywell aircons might be hit or miss.

I bought an LG portable aircon new in 2013. The cosmetics of the plastics were fairly decent then. China-made then. I bought a refurb LG aircon of the same model from amazon.com late last year and had to trim the plastic sprue on its front vent. Cosmetics got somewhat crappy. The Chinese get cheaper and cheaper on molded plastics quality control every year it seems. The Samsung products actually have excellent cosmetics in their plastic work.

At least Toyota has nicer interior plastics cosmetics compared with so-called American vehicle brands.

I'm a stickler for fit and finish on things I buy. Avoid Hotpoint and Frigidaire branded products like the plague. They aren't your great grandmother's Frigidaire fridges and washers by General Motors or Hotpoint stoves and range ovens by General Electric. Whirlpool refrigerator door seals are a bit shoddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 10:29 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
thanks for the rant? Is there a question in there?

Old 04-30-2020, 10:36 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Also, I don’t think a dehumidifier qualifies as “consumer electronics”. But whatever.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:19 PM

The silicone didn't hold so now I'm trying krazy glue.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Also, I don’t think a dehumidifier qualifies as “consumer electronics”. But whatever.
It has an LED readout.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
no, it's just a big chunk of my mind I had to unload off my chest, that's all

don't assume boards like these are for questions only...being an eagle-eyed observer from the high blue sky and having microscopic vision as well, I often have more things to tell than ask

oh, you're welcome for the "rant omelet" cooked up exclusively à la John P Bailey

Old 04-30-2020, 12:36 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Seacrest OUT!

Old 04-30-2020, 01:13 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
It has an LED readout.
So does my car.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:50 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
I have a ozone generator to get rid of moldy smells.

I just cannot leave it on when Rover is in the house because he will be a dead dog.

Then I cut on the dehumidifier. Mine only works in the summer because my basement is so dry in the winter.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I have a ozone generator to get rid of moldy smells.

I just cannot leave it on when Rover is in the house because he will be a dead dog.

Then I cut on the dehumidifier. Mine only works in the summer because my basement is so dry in the winter.
I don't have a basement, just an apartment in a muggy place like Oklahoma. I have to get rid of the dampness as well as the smell. Humidity makes the air stink and makes you feel nasty in bed to boot.
Ozone is not healthy for humans either, I have asthma; high humidity aggravates my trouble breathing even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics