U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 12:07 PM

6,700 posts, read 2,727,804 times

Advertisements

We have a cable/wifi/landline bundle with Comcast. love the service but hate the way my bill keeps going up. we pay 175 now. my bill says i have a boosted internet speed, i don’t see much difference and my xfinity streaming app buffers a lot.
there are so many fees including one for sports. what sports? there is nothing going so why the fee?
if you have comcast can you share how much you pay and what you get?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 12:08 PM

68,664 posts, read 5,403,312 times
I have Comcast, we pay about $160 a month, but as soon as my contract is up, I am changing them. I may keep the internet, but the tv service is definitely going to be replaced.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 19 days ago)

15,605 posts, read 23,476,239 times
We "cut the cord" over a year ago.

1. You typically have 2 choices for plain vanilla internet service: the cable company or the phone company.
a. You need a minimum download speed of 30+ Mbps for watching TV.
b. If you play games online you need higher speeds.
c. Find the best deal and take it.
We chose our phone company (CenturyLink because I hate Comcrap). We pay $55/mo (guaranteed for life!) for actual measured speeds of 70 down and 37 up.

2. You then need a small box to host the streaming apps. Examples are: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Firestick.
Look for a version that supports 4K. The box will connect to your ethernet cable and your TV. Boxes cost between $30 and $200.

3. You then choose which streaming services to use. We have:
a. Hulu with Live TV. $55/mo
b. Netflix. $14/mo

This is a lot less than $175/mo. Plus the streaming services have more shows than cable. Way more.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,062 posts, read 61,975,311 times
I suppose if we couldn't afford it we could have to let Comcast go before starving but for now we remain with them for several reasons:

-At about $225/month we get internet, Cable TV and a "Land Line" phone number. It's not really a land line, being VoiP, but having it means that all of our telemarketers, scams and robocalls go to that listed number. We don't give out our cell phone numbers. When someone calls the caller ID shows up on the TVs, and we don't answer if we don't know who it is.

-The cable system includes access to all kinds of other services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu.

-Some channels are not available with any other providers, such as CBUT which is a CBC channel out of Vancouver, B.C. Canada and has some of our favorite shows.

-We can watch TV from our cable system via Wi-Fi from our mobile devices anywhere on our property, and some limited programming on them from anywhere.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:46 PM

13,524 posts, read 19,022,991 times
I pay Comcast $70/ month for a measured 150/50, SlingTv for some basic cable channels $25/ month, PrimeTV as part of my Prime membership, Netflix for $14/month, and local OTA channels via an antenna. I pay and extra $10/month for NFL red zone during the season but that’s about it.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:46 PM

13,616 posts, read 6,742,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I suppose if we couldn't afford it we could have to let Comcast go before starving but for now we remain with them for several reasons:

-At about $225/month we get internet, Cable TV and a "Land Line" phone number. It's not really a land line, being VoiP, but having it means that all of our telemarketers, scams and robocalls go to that listed number. We don't give out our cell phone numbers. When someone calls the caller ID shows up on the TVs, and we don't answer if we don't know who it is.

-The cable system includes access to all kinds of other services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu.

-Some channels are not available with any other providers, such as CBUT which is a CBC channel out of Vancouver, B.C. Canada and has some of our favorite shows.

-We can watch TV from our cable system via Wi-Fi from our mobile devices anywhere on our property, and some limited programming on them from anywhere.
Are you saying with cable you get free Netflix, Prime Video and Hulu?

FYI your “land line” is worth maybe $5 a month. I get gigabit internet for $80 a month so you’re paying around $140 a month for TV.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:38 PM

41,823 posts, read 44,872,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
i don’t see much difference and my xfinity streaming app buffers a lot.

Generally speaking for one person the slowest plan they offer is all you need. The dirty little secret is most web sites or services do not require or cannot utilize the higher speeds Comcast offers. Where that comes into play is if you have multiple people in the household all trying to watch a video service at once.

You should not be getting any buffering from any video service especially if it's only one device. There could be many reasons for this but it's typically poor wi-fi signal or adapter.

You likely have a router/modem combo provided by Comcast. Turn off, disconnect or disable the wifi for all devices using wifi. Connect a laptop or PC directly to the modem using ethernet cable. If you have separate router from the modem you can skip that and simply disconnect the router from the modem and plug the ethernet cable from the PC or laptop into same port.

Go here and see what speed you are getting. Test a few times.

https://www.speedtest.net/

You won't get same results each time but it should be close to what you are paying for. If it's not then this is likely Comcast problem, contact them. It can be something as simple as poor cable connection.

If you are getting the right speed from test then it's on your end.

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-13-2020 at 12:16 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

Any device with browser should be able to login here:

https://www.xfinity.com/stream/

If you are at home it should work automagically and no login required. If you were using public wifi or whatever you would need to login. Anything available on the box that is specific Comcast TV package should be online, least that's my experience when I had TV through them. Even now without the TV package I get some shows. Mostly crap but there is the free HBO previews etc.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:10 AM

I pay Comcast just for internet 100 down and 10 up. I'm still on the special offer for $35, it goes up to $55 in Sept. I own the modem.

Oooma for telephone which used to be $5 or $6 a month(all taxes) but is now $15 with their premier package. I needed the call forwarding. Premiere also has spam blocking which is kind of joke since blocking spam calls saves them money.

Philo for steaming TV, $20 per month. If you do not need or want sports and the cable news take a look. They have most of the major cable channels.

https://help.philo.com/hc/en-us/arti...Channel-lineup

Old 05-13-2020, 12:36 AM

1,956 posts, read 910,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Oooma for telephone which used to be $5 or $6 a month(all taxes) but is now $15 with their premier package. I needed the call forwarding. Premiere also has spam blocking which is kind of joke since blocking spam calls saves them money.
I still have two phone lines on the original Ooma plan of $0/month. I don't get the premium features, of course, but all I need is caller id and vm (which are included in the free plan).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics