U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 11:48 AM

107 posts, read 182,890 times

Advertisements

Can I get a little basic explanation of how key cards work at pool gates? I understand the RFID part; we have a card reader on a pole near the gate - wave the card and the gate lock responds so the gate can be opened.

We have a new board at our association and someone who previously had control of this system is holding back information on how to activate or deactivate the cards.

I'm assuming an internet connection, some sort of "program" that shouldn't have to be installed; rather a website that we could input the data from the owner for the card given to them. Is it necessary to have a company monitor and do updates or can we take over as simply the way to get access to the pool area?

I'm also assuming it doesn't matter who the internet provider is nor the fact we have a new modem/router hooked up. We have an E911 system with the phone currently live for emergency calls.

I'm asking these questions because I'm getting information from someone who doesn't appear to have correct knowledge of what's needed or how it actually works and is trying to sell more services.

I am trying to understand what I'm finding on the internet with regards to these systems.

It shouldn't be this difficult and probably isn't. I'm also thinking our pool won't be open this summer anyway due to the virus issues, so I will have more time to research how to work with this kind of system.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 08:53 AM

13,047 posts, read 15,155,650 times
There probably is a program installed somewhere. Every card has a unique identifier. You go into the program and add card id # 4567. Upload or synch the data to the gate. Card now active.
I suppose this could be internet based, too, but seems like overkill.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:19 PM

4,997 posts, read 8,866,642 times
Have you tried calling the vendor that put the system in? There is likely a contract you guys have for maintenance (software updates, etc.). Even if you don't, they might be able to help you out anyways just from a good business standpoint.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:47 PM

107 posts, read 182,890 times
Yes, thank you for the responses. I have called the company name on my key card and was directed to another company for additional information. I am still putting the pieces together - slow progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics