U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 02:21 PM

2,689 posts, read 5,154,594 times

Advertisements

Apps like YouTube or Netflix are on most Smarttvs and bluray players, but are also on internet devices (phones, tablets and computers). Then you can "cast" the image to your TV.

Is there a general trend towards people using the internet devices and then casting, as opposed to using the apps on the TV or bluray? I used the Youtube app on my bluray once, and it was really hard to search for something because the remote doesn't have a real keyboard.

Can you add new apps to a bluray or smarttv? I think you can only do this on certain ones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 03:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 3,376,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Apps like YouTube or Netflix are on most Smarttvs and bluray players, but are also on internet devices (phones, tablets and computers). Then you can "cast" the image to your TV.

Is there a general trend towards people using the internet devices and then casting, as opposed to using the apps on the TV or bluray? I used the Youtube app on my bluray once, and it was really hard to search for something because the remote doesn't have a real keyboard.

Can you add new apps to a bluray or smarttv? I think you can only do this on certain ones.
Most of the smart TV platforms are limited in the amount of storage and what you can do with them.

Invest in a Amazon Firestick, Roku or similar device. You can do much more. They are designed for apps and games.

As far as casting, that is totally impractical imo. You would be draining the battery pretty quick on a phone or tablet watching movies and such and you would have to keep the screen on while you are playing your video. It is more useful for short videos or to view your phone on a big screen.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:27 PM

4,377 posts, read 10,084,377 times
I think most people use a streaming device like Roku, Firestick or Apple TV. I don't know many people who depend on the native apps in their TV or use their mobile devices to cast to the TV. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that the streaming devices are cheap and easier to use.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:05 PM

7,886 posts, read 4,998,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Most of the smart TV platforms are limited in the amount of storage and what you can do with them.
You mean they're a TV, not a computing device. Storage isn't a issue mine takes USB storage, which means it's only limited by the OS, and that's Android, or WebOS both are Linux kernels.

Quote:
Invest in a Amazon Firestick, Roku or similar device. You can do much more. They are designed for apps and games.
So are smart TVs, they're a dedicated computing device, "TV" is just an app that it runs as default. Firestick and Fire TV come with less storage than my cellphone has RAM firestick doesn't have a USB port for expansion, you could use an OTG cable, but that's not expanding your memory, but just letting you transfer files to and from the firestick.

Firestick is based on Android 7.1, my TV runs Android 10... which is better for running apps?

Roku is proprietary based on Linux, it's also used in Smart TVs.

Basically your options are Android, Roku, or WebOS (customized android) for operating systems on SmartTVs. Yet you're claiming Roku devices, or firestick (android ancient) are better at running apps...

You might want to think about what you're saying.

Quote:
As far as casting, that is totally impractical imo. You would be draining the battery pretty quick on a phone or tablet watching movies and such and you would have to keep the screen on while you are playing your video. It is more useful for short videos or to view your phone on a big screen.
Your screen shuts off as normal while casting, it doesn't need the screen to know what to send to the TV. If your TV and tablet are set up right it's awesome, sure it drains the battery a little, not noticeable more than streaming on the device though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I think most people use a streaming device like Roku, Firestick or Apple TV. I don't know many people who depend on the native apps in their TV or use their mobile devices to cast to the TV. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that the streaming devices are cheap and easier to use.
How? What's easier than pressing the netflix button? Or better yet saying Alexa tell TV to launch NetFlix? Navigation is going to be the same, using the 4-way cursor.

I'd bet most people use streaming devices because they don't know their TV can do the same.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:38 AM

3,548 posts, read 3,029,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post

For two of my Sony TVs I use the built in applications supplied and will only cast to them for two reasons:
One, if it is a show I forgot to record and is on a major station like ABC, TNT, etc., I will connect via my laptop and cast to the TV. Reason is it is easier to sign into the ABC, TNT, etc., app on my laptop than via the TV.
The other items I cast is music from my PowerAmp app on either my Pixel or my Tablet.

On my older Sony TV where most of the apps supplied are not longer supported or accepted, I have attached a ROKU device and have never Casted to that TV; might not even work, it is an older 1080 model Bravia.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:47 AM

4,377 posts, read 10,084,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

How? What's easier than pressing the netflix button? Or better yet saying Alexa tell TV to launch NetFlix? Navigation is going to be the same, using the 4-way cursor.

I'd bet most people use streaming devices because they don't know their TV can do the same.
Of course I know the TV can do the same, but I prefer the Roku interface. We utilize a dozen or so apps for our TV watching and with Roku you can customize the layout and it's just easier for me. To each his own, if your TV does everything you want it to then good for you. Of course now we have a Roku TV so that simplifies things even more!

Old 06-27-2020, 08:12 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,437,043 times
Quote:

I'd bet that most people who have streaming devices know that their TV can also stream, but not as well as a device such as a Roku. I use a Roku because it has far more apps, is easier to navigate with, is more convenient, and is just plain better.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:44 AM

4,866 posts, read 3,376,954 times
Quote:
You mean they're a TV, not a computing device. Storage isn't a issue mine takes USB storage, which means it's only limited by the OS, and that's Android, or WebOS both are Linux kernels.

So are smart TVs, they're a dedicated computing device, "TV" is just an app that it runs as default. Firestick and Fire TV come with less storage than my cellphone has RAM firestick doesn't have a USB port for expansion, you could use an OTG cable, but that's not expanding your memory, but just letting you transfer files to and from the firestick.

Firestick is based on Android 7.1, my TV runs Android 10... which is better for running apps?

Roku is proprietary based on Linux, it's also used in Smart TVs.

Basically your options are Android, Roku, or WebOS (customized android) for operating systems on SmartTVs. Yet you're claiming Roku devices, or firestick (android ancient) are better at running apps...

You might want to think about what you're saying.

Your screen shuts off as normal while casting, it doesn't need the screen to know what to send to the TV. If your TV and tablet are set up right it's awesome, sure it drains the battery a little, not noticeable more than streaming on the device though.

Try installing an app on your TV and report back to us. Try Kodi, it's great for viewing your own content and has many streaming options as well plus more functions. It's a whole other world. here is the link for the Android version. https://kodi.tv/download/852

I have two LG TV's both with Web OS, I wouldn't mind doing that. WebOS is FROM LG which means you cannot install android apps.

At this time there are six main smart operating systems on Smart TV's: Android TV, webOS, Tizen, Roku TV, Fire TV and SmartCast.

I could almost best the the USB on your TV is for viewing content such as photos and videos or for maybe upgrading firmware, NOT for increasing the storage for the OS/apps. Wouldn't make sense at all for a removable storage to become part of the OS. It may possible to add storage for apps on some TV's but it would not be as easy as plugging in a flash or external drive, that is for sure.

WebOS is pretty limited in what you do as an end-user. Yes, they have an app store but the space on it for apps is not as much as you think. It may vary by model.

Firestick is not even Android, it is Fire OS. Read up yourself before posting. It is based on Android and will run apps from the Amazon app store and general android apps but you have to side load them. So the Android 7 vs Android 10 doesn't apply and they both run apps just fine. If you don't think so, let us know why and give us something a little more technical than it's just newer, that doesn't necessarily mean better at least not in this case.

Edit: I checked the storage on one of my LG TVs, It reads as follows
Available Internal Storage
0.19 / 0.60GB
This tells me it has 1GB storage total for apps. The Firestick has 8GB. Not sure on the Roku, maybe about the same?

Last edited by gguerra; 06-27-2020 at 01:06 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 08:18 AM

3,548 posts, read 3,029,120 times
I have added a few apps to both of my Sony Android TVs with no problem. As for storage on my new Sony, it shows 6.7 gb.

I also find operating the apps on the Sony Android TVs to be just as easy as on the Roku attached to an older (non-Android) TV I use in an exercise room.

Good thing the android TVs interface and the Roku interface are similar enough to make using both types quite easily.

Now that older Sony Bravia non-Androids' interface worked but it was horrible and hard to read due to the smaller ICON used to identify programs. However, last year, Amazon informed me via an email that the Amazon app on the older Bravia would no longer work and tried to sell me a Firestik; however, I opted for an Roku which was less expensive and had more features.

If I did not have to large 4K Sony Android TVs and wanted to access apps such as Netflix/Amazon/HBO Now, etc., Roku would be my choice.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:42 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,093,185 times
Quote:

As far as casting, that is totally impractical imo. You would be draining the battery pretty quick on a phone or tablet watching movies and such and you would have to keep the screen on while you are playing your video. It is more useful for short videos or to view your phone on a big screen
thats for more like miracast (mirroring).
for d.l.n.a., many apps have the option to start/play/pause/ff/rew/stop/queue/... videos. more like a remote control.

also I think most smart-tv's these days just have entered rokus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics