U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2020, 12:38 AM

3,945 posts, read 1,415,947 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have a problem describing my particular 'occasional' problem and this is why I've not been able to find anything on the Internet to help me remedy it. I will, however, do my very best to explain myself here.

First off, I'm the leader of a music group that comes together every year to perform public Christmas events in my particular neck of the woods. I sequence all my own backing tracks on a Yamaha QY300 and these in turn are directly copied to a mini-disc and played through a Sony MD player. From stage level I have the MD player on hand which is then connected via RCA plugs to a small stereo unit, both contained on a convenient stand. This then gives me control of the audio volume of the backing tracks output from stage level. A lengthy RCA lead from the small stereo unit is then connected to a multicore snake which leads to the mixing desk some 50' or so from the stage. So ...MD Player - small stereo unit - multicore snake - mixing desk. The signal from the MD Player has now reached the mixing desk. Most often at rehearsals everything works fine and I get a clear stereo signal from the left and the right speakers, even though the left speaker would be panned 9 or 10 O'clock and the right would be panned 10 or 15 O'Clock. So, there's a smidgin' of a left and right channel mix through both speakers. Anyway, that's the set-up.

The problem? Every so often, which is especially frustrating when setting up for an actual job, is (and this is where I have a problem explaining) that I'm getting a clear signal from the right speaker but from the left all I'm getting is a slight echo or, as a friend put it, a 'ghosting' effect. As far as I know, all the connections are intact and the leads (whether RCA or XLR or 1/4 inch jack) appear to be in good order but there is clearly something amiss.

There is nothing wrong with the MD Player. There is nothing wrong with the small stereo unit. There is nothing wrong with the mixing desk. There is nothing wrong with the speakers per se. Sometimes this has been an 'on the job' issue where we've simply run out of time trying to resolve the issue and have therefore had to make do with one channel barely working.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about when I refer to 'ghosting' when one speaker (or channel) has volume where the other sound appears to be 'distant' as though coming from another room? There is also a 'bleeding' effect from one speaker (channel) to the other where the right pan volume also effects the left signal. And, it shouldn't. If I run the MD directly to the mixer ...fine. If I run the MD plus the small stereo unit to the mixer ...fine. As long as someone knows what I'm talking about, can they offer any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Moreover, what IS this particular issue called ...does it have a name?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 08:45 AM

4,927 posts, read 3,418,578 times
It sounds like a problem in your amplifier and it is intermittent. Borrow another amp and see if it happens. Try earphones to see if it still happens.

When I have issues like this, I will try to isolate the problem. Do some troubleshooting by process of elimination.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:30 PM

4,260 posts, read 1,766,590 times
Agree with previous poster. You need to isolate the problem. Swap speakers, swap output r/l channels and cables, one piece at at time. You should be able to find out what the cause is. Since the problem is intermittent, it may take some time to isolate the problem because you have to wait for it to happen before testing the next piece of the chain. I would call your problem an "intermittent volume drop". Lots of entries if you google it.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys. You're right, of course. A systematic check of each piece is the right approach. However, I feel deep down that it's a lead/cable issue. From the MD player to the eventual mixing desk there are several leads and adapters that are used. Two RCA stereo leads from the MD player to the small stereo device that allows me control of the volume from the stage area and two RCA stereo leads from the stereo unit to the stage multi-core snake box which requires an RCA to 1/4" jack adapter. Then, at mixer level are the leads from the multi-core snake which plug into the appropriate mixer inputs. Cables (and also adapters) are notorious for giving trouble since, even though they may check out okay on the multi-meter, they can still be faulty and give intermittent issues.

Anyway, as suggested, the issue needs to be resolved, as you say, one piece at a time. Meanwhile, I will google "intermittent volume drop" and see what it comes up with. Once again ...many thanks!

Old 07-01-2020, 08:31 AM

9,896 posts, read 4,821,546 times
Well, when you have the issue, swap cables and see if the issue swaps with them.

The faint sounding in the dead speaker is normal, it's just the speaker cable acting as an antenna. That's probably not related to your problem.

My first guess would be an intermittent in a cable. My second guess would be an intermittent in your amp/board. Only thing you can do, is to go thru the typical troubleshooting process. Till you isolate the problem to a component, no one can suggest how to fix it.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:44 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,460,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Thanks for the responses, guys. You're right, of course. A systematic check of each piece is the right approach. However, I feel deep down that it's a lead/cable issue. From the MD player to the eventual mixing desk there are several leads and adapters that are used. Two RCA stereo leads from the MD player to the small stereo device that allows me control of the volume from the stage area and two RCA stereo leads from the stereo unit to the stage multi-core snake box which requires an RCA to 1/4" jack adapter. Then, at mixer level are the leads from the multi-core snake which plug into the appropriate mixer inputs. Cables (and also adapters) are notorious for giving trouble since, even though they may check out okay on the multi-meter, they can still be faulty and give intermittent issues.

Anyway, as suggested, the issue needs to be resolved, as you say, one piece at a time. Meanwhile, I will google "intermittent volume drop" and see what it comes up with. Once again ...many thanks!
Why not let your audio person control the MD? Simplifies the audio chain and will probably improve your overall quality.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Why not let your audio person control the MD? Simplifies the audio chain and will probably improve your overall quality.
Oh no ...I want to pilot my own craft. These backing tracks are my own creations and in the rare event that I need to do a fade-out, a fade-in, change or restart a track for some reason, I need to be in control. The sound guy wouldn't know my thoughts. However, what you say would certainly simplify things ...mini-disc player through stereo unit through multicore snake through to the mixing console ...quite a journey involving several cables and a couple of adapters. The overall quality is very good though, despite the journey ...that's WHEN everything is working correctly. Thanks for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics