Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2020, 12:18 AM

749 posts, read 482,384 times

Advertisements

I just don’t know if I want to spend a grand or more right now on a laptop. I do need something a little newer though because the 2009 apple product I have has damaged speaker phones.

Would a more affordable chromebrook be okay if I’m just wanting something other than my phone to surf the web, watch videos and maybe use zoom? Right now I have a class where I have to use my phone for audio and my apple with a jacked up mic for video.

I just don’t know if I should really get an expensive lap top. Most of the stuff I use is my phone. Even right now on the forum I’m using my phone. It would be nice to be able to use a laptop again.

If there is a reason why I would need an expensive laptop Like a Mac air let me know. I understand they’re a bit lighter and have a nicer design it I’m not crazy about spending 1,200 especially in these times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 03:58 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,371,820 times
From an old PC user....I have been using a chromebook for years now...it does everything I need in retired life. I bought a refurb HP, touchscreen for under $150 online from TigerDirect, it was in almost new condition when it arrived. I find the best thing about chromebooks is the fact that all my data resides in the cloud, not on an internal, hackable hard drive.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-03-2020, 07:12 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Chromebooks should be fine. We have 5 in the family... our schools use them. They are pretty simple to use, a bit more secured than Windows and Mac OS, and data resides in the cloud. If you need more space, you can add additional space via SD cards.

In fact, I'm a software developer and often use my Chromebook for work as well.

With that said, we are mostly a family using Android with the exception of my old 24 inch Mac. So the kids/wife picked up ChromeOS fairly easily as much of the user interactions are similar.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:45 AM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
I just bought a chromebook with a nice 15.6" screen for internet surfing, watching videos, and doing e-mail. It works like a charm, doesn't need a fan for cooling, and is pretty affordable. The only thing I wish it had is a built-in calculator that can handle clipboard functionality. None of the ones I've tried are suitable.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:11 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,252 times
Chromebooks are amazing. I have a $100 chromebook that lasts all day on a single charge, great keyboard and web experience. Zero worries about viruses. It's the best bang for the buck.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:00 PM

Thanks everyone. I just purchased a chrome 14 at Best Buy, brand new. Will be interesting to try using it later. Only a couple hundred bucks. I didn’t get it to do 3D videos or anything Spectacular. Right now am just using it as a way to go online without having to always use my phone. I am just not interested in dropping 1-2 grand at the moment.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:33 AM

Well I must say I like it. This is my first laptop since the my Macbook from 2009. My Macbook's mic broke and I could barely hear anything. This is definitely louder than any old mac I've had. And it's much lighter. I like it.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:47 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,252 times
Congrats! I'm using my $100 chromebook right now...nothing can beat it for value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics