Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2020, 02:27 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,401,923 times

Advertisements

I have a pair of Logitech LS11 computer speakers but cannot find the power cord adapter for them. The speakers require an input of "10V-500mA and 50-60 Hz". In my box of "spare parts" I found a Netgear power cord with an adapter that fits the speakers with Input of "100-120v--47-63Hz--0.6A" and Output of "12v.....1A". Will this power cord work in the speakers I have? These speakers are so old that Logitech no longer has spare parts for them.

If I end up having to try and find a power cord adapter online how closely must the output match speaker requirements to work right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 05:24 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,084,599 times
2 things -

AC vs DC. They need to match.

If DC, the tip can either be positive or negative voltage. They need to match. If AC it doesn’t matter.

Otherwise for speakers I’d think the voltage and amperage are close enough.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:42 PM

11,091 posts, read 7,832,916 times
If the speakers are so old... why not just buy another pair. You can get them pretty cheap and they will probably sound better than the old ones. You can get some for under 15.00 on Amazon.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,391,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I have a pair of Logitech LS11 computer speakers but cannot find the power cord adapter for them. The speakers require an input of "10V-500mA and 50-60 Hz". In my box of "spare parts" I found a Netgear power cord with an adapter that fits the speakers with Input of "100-120v--47-63Hz--0.6A" and Output of "12v.....1A". Will this power cord work in the speakers I have? These speakers are so old that Logitech no longer has spare parts for them.

If I end up having to try and find a power cord adapter online how closely must the output match speaker requirements to work right?
It might work or you may burn them up.

None of the specs you list really matter except voltage and amperage and of course the connector has to fit.

So the speakers call for 10 volts and 500ma (1/2 amp)

The adapter you found provides 12volts and 1A (1 amp), 2 volts more than you need and twice the required amps.

Try it, the worst that can happen is that you burn them up, or find another adapter online.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It might work or you may burn them up.

None of the specs you list really matter except voltage and amperage and of course the connector has to fit.

So the speakers call for 10 volts and 500ma (1/2 amp)

The adapter you found provides 12volts and 1A (1 amp), 2 volts more than you need and twice the required amps.

Try it, the worst that can happen is that you burn them up, or find another adapter online.
Amperage doesn’t matter in this case...just means it can supply more than what will be required. Volts are close, less than 20% off. If they are analog speakers I doubt they would burn up.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,391,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Amperage doesn’t matter in this case.
It just might. It's twice the rated amount. They have a small amplifier which is rated to run at a certain number of amps. They make power adapters to match the equipment. Like you said, 2 extra volts will probably not matter, the amps?, probably not either, it's still a low number.

@OP if it doesn't work, just get a universal adapter, $14 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Belker-Adjust...dp/B07NKZCWT1/

Old 07-05-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It just might. It's twice the rated amount.
Actually that’s not how they work, if it’s pulling constant current. If it needs 1A supplying a 2A power supply just means it’s still pulling 1A.

https://gpslimited.com/basic-princip...-power-supply/

“Current is a bit different. A constant-voltage supply doesn’t determine the current: the load, which in this case is the device, does. If Johnny wants to eat two apples, he’s only going to eat two whether you put 2, 3, 5, or 20 apples on the table. A device that wants 2 A of current works the same way. It will draw 2 A whether the power supply can only provide the 2 A, or whether it could have supplied 3, 5, or 20 A. The current rating of a supply is what it can deliver, not what it will always force thru the load somehow. In that sense, unlike with voltage, the current rating of a power supply must be at least what the device wants but there is no harm in it being higher. A 9 volt 5 amp supply is a superset of a 9 volt 2 amp supply, for example.”

I agree in getting a replacement supply though.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:24 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,401,923 times
Many thanks to those of you gave me input and advice. Much appreciated. I did try the power adapter I had and it seems to be working fine.

The sound is good enough for the podcasts I want to listen to but I will definitely get some new speakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics