U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2020, 08:05 PM

10,078 posts, read 5,652,527 times

Advertisements

So I'm assuming you would need an adapter plug if you had an older appliance with the equal-sized prongs versus the newer one small/one large prongs and then it would be safe. I'm thinking of trying an old electric percolator I found in a thrift store because nothing beats percolated coffee, but am a bit hesitant to try this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 08:28 PM

2,145 posts, read 483,218 times
I have never noticed needing adapter for older plugs into newer outlets. Only need adapter if trying to plug new plug into old outlet, especially if new plug is three prong. Course if you live in old house usually easier to just replace the outlets. They dont cost very much and easier than always hunting up the adapter.

Only thing you need to watch, old stuff tends to have old frayed or cracked cord and maybe weak area where cord goes into plug. I tend to save cords in good shape off stuff thats went to appliance heaven, just in case I need to replace cord on something older. Older stuff tended to have longer lifespan.

Oh caveat, if replacing cord on anything that heats up, use proper kind cord made for such use, ask at hardware store if unsure.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:33 PM

So if my newer plugs have the larger and smaller combination (as well at the hole for the third prong), I'm safe just plugging my equal-sized plug into that? Can't afford to blow anything out or, obviously, electrocute myself.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:51 AM

16,231 posts, read 18,179,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So if my newer plugs have the larger and smaller combination (as well at the hole for the third prong), I'm safe just plugging my equal-sized plug into that? Can't afford to blow anything out or, obviously, electrocute myself.
It's polarization, basically it requires you to plug the "hot" side of the appliance into the "hot" side of the house wiring. As long as the appliance is in good condition, no problem. Those older non-polarized appliances don't care which side is plugged into the hot side or the neutral side. It's as safe as plugging in a non-polarized appliance into a non-polarized plug. As long as the appliance doesn't have any shorts, it's fine. If it does... well, hopefully you're not grounded to something and get turned into part of the household wiring.

Your options are to rewire the appliance (the entire thing, not just replace the plug), throw out the appliance, or live on the dangerous side. Nothing inherently safer about the plug. You've always got a hot side and a neutral side in your house. The plug is just a convenience feature. If the blades were equal length and you could plug it in either way, you'd have a 50/50 chance of plugging it in the wrong way and then you'd have to unplug it and plug it in the other way for a newer appliance to work. That would be annoying. The safety is in the appliance itself, not the plug. The newer appliances form a closed circuit which is safer than the open circuit the older appliances made.

Last edited by Malloric; 07-06-2020 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-09-2020, 01:41 PM

9,684 posts, read 4,696,430 times
You can plug it in any way you want.

Appliances will work perfectly fine plugged in either direction, as long as the prongs will fit. That's how alternating current works.

If your appliance was made after about 1970 and it has its original plug and the prongs are of equal width, that means it's "double insulated" and whichever way you plug it in, it's equally safe.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:43 PM

9,684 posts, read 4,696,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Perfectly safe.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:14 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,040,331 times
It's all good. It's not polarized because it doesn't need to be.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:03 AM

Thanks, all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics