Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 03:29 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

I have essentially the same problem as was described by this post in a Best Buy thread.

Quote:
I got a new Insignia Roku TV for my 80-year-old mother-in-law, and it's great. She's not tech savvy at all, but I'm showing her how to use a remote control D-Pad, and how to access things like The Great Courses and our Netflix account on Roku. The problem: She'll still mostly just watch cable TV on it, but now when she turns it on, she's faced with a menu choice and the prospect of using two remotes every time. I was able to program her cable TV remote to handle ON/OFF, VOLUME, and MUTE only. So she can use it to power up the TV, but then she needs to switch to the Insignia remote to select Cable, then go back to the cable remote to change the channel. Is there a way to have the Insignia Roku TV DEFAULT to a certain input, so that when she hit the ON/OFF button, the TV just pops on like a regular old TV? Then she'd only have to go to the HOME screen if she wanted to switch to a Roku Channel, or to another Input.

SOLUTION

I was trying to do the very same thing as you and couldn't find where this might be. Even called tech support to point me in the right direction. Good news: it is possible to set a default input. They just don't call it a default input. Go into the settings of the tv. Then System, then Power, and finally Power On. In here you pick which input you want the tv to power on to. Now knowing what this setting is called, I checked the user manual and it is on page 77.
My parents are age 83 and 84 and they are constantly having problems with the INPUT selection . I considered buying them a monitor, but they either don't have audio or the speakers are such low wattage that I am afraid they won't be able to hear the TV.

The problem is the solution outlined doesn't seem to work for my Insignia TV. The default input always seems to be the antenna. We are located in an area surrounded by hills and antennas don't work, (we don't get ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/CW/MyNetwork) so I would like to change the default to the Cable HDMI.

I even went so far as to unscrew the entire TV and break off the RF connector, but it didn't work. The TV didn't go back together as well as there were dozens of screws involved.

There is a setting called Auto-Input which means the INPUT menu does not highlight any port (RCA/HDMI/USB/ etc) that does not have a device plugged in, but it seems like the antenna input is always on.

I'm not kidding when I say my father has called me over 50 times when the TV input changes. I have to reset it back to the Cable Input manually each time. If I could set it to the default, then he would just have to power off and back on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 05:29 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I have essentially the same problem as was described by this post in a Best Buy thread.

My parents are age 83 and 84 and they are constantly having problems with the INPUT selection . I considered buying them a monitor, but they either don't have audio or the speakers are such low wattage that I am afraid they won't be able to hear the TV.

The problem is the solution outlined doesn't seem to work for my Insignia TV. The default input always seems to be the antenna. We are located in an area surrounded by hills and antennas don't work, (we don't get ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/CW/MyNetwork) so I would like to change the default to the Cable HDMI.

I even went so far as to unscrew the entire TV and break off the RF connector, but it didn't work. The TV didn't go back together as well as there were dozens of screws involved.

There is a setting called Auto-Input which means the INPUT menu does not highlight any port (RCA/HDMI/USB/ etc) that does not have a device plugged in, but it seems like the antenna input is always on.

I'm not kidding when I say my father has called me over 50 times when the TV input changes. I have to reset it back to the Cable Input manually each time. If I could set it to the default, then he would just have to power off and back on
Not sure if I can help, but I'll pass along my experience with my Insignia set.

I just bought a new 40" Insignia TV and I am absolutely delighted with it. At 139.99, it was the "Best Buy" in the store....going away. I made sure that it was not a smart TV.

Mine always defaults to the last input used. In my case, that is either HDMI2 for the cable box or HDMI3 for the Blu-Ray player. The only input setting I have on the menu is "Auto Input Sensing" and it is off. I believe that was the default setting and I have just left it there. I don't know if that setting would make a difference in the scenario you describe. It is, of course, very possible that your settings and default operation mode are different on a different model. Could be that they solved the problem you describe in the design of mine.

I was hesitant to buy an Insignia set, but I finally did because it was the only one among the smaller sizes equipped with all the features I wanted. From where I sit, mine leaves Samsung and LG in the dust in a comparison among the smaller sets.

Anyway, good luck.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The only input setting I have on the menu is "Auto Input Sensing" and it is off. I believe that was the default setting and I have just left it there.

I don't know if that setting would make a difference in the scenario you describe.
Typically there are 7 inputs:
  1. RF antenna
  2. HDMI 1
  3. HDMI 2
  4. component
  5. a/v
  6. VGA
  7. USB

If you only are using a few of those inputs, and you don't want them all to light up when you push the input button, you turn the "Auto Input Sensing" switch on, and only the inputs with something plugged in show up.

But the RF antenna button always lights up no matter if you have anything attached or not. I even broke the F plug with a pair of pliers, but it still shows up on the list.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Typically there are 7 inputs:
  1. RF antenna
  2. HDMI 1
  3. HDMI 2
  4. component
  5. a/v
  6. VGA
  7. USB

If you only are using a few of those inputs, and you don't want them all to light up when you push the input button, you turn the "Auto Input Sensing" switch on, and only the inputs with something plugged in show up.

But the RF antenna button always lights up no matter if you have anything attached or not. I even broke the F plug with a pair of pliers, but it still shows up on the list.
What model # is your TV in question?

I changed my "Auto Input Sensing" setting to on and it still defaulted to the last input used IF that input was on and active. If it was off and no signal present, it defaulted to TV (RF Antenna) and prompted to do a channel search.

I'm assuming you've tried turning that setting "off"? If I leave mine off (which I do), I always start with the last input used, whether there is a signal present there or not.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:04 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
20 years ago I had a remote like this

https://www.ebay.com/i/202569131502

that you can program the buttons with another IR remote and then had one Multicommand button. I haven't touched any of the current macro or sequence remote controls.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
If it was off and no signal present, it defaulted to TV (RF Antenna) and prompted to do a channel search.
This part is the problem for my 83 year old father. If he loses the signal for whatever reason, it goes to the RF Antenna. He has to dig out the television remote and change inputs back to the cable.

For some reason he can't seem to remember how to do that. He just gets angry.

I have considered pulling out the TV and purchasing a monitor, but his current TV is an Insignia NS-19E310A13, which is very small and fits on his desk, and has two speakers which are 3 watts apiece. Most monitors have smaller or no speakers, and a sound bar will just clutter the desk and be one more piece of equipment that he can mess up.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 04-11-2019 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
These instructions are essentially the same that were posted in the original post, which validates that they're accurate.

https://www.cordcutters.com/how-chan...-input-roku-tv

According to the article, that process should work with any Roku TV brand.

If they don't, perhaps the Roku software needs to be updated. To do that, the TV needs to be connected to the Internet. If your parents home doesn't have Internet access, OP, take the TV somewhere that does and update the software there.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
This part is the problem for my 83 year old father. If he loses the signal for whatever reason, it goes to the RF Antenna. He has to dig out the television remote and change inputs back to the cable.

For some reason he can't seem to remember how to do that. He just gets angry.

I have considered pulling out the TV and purchasing a monitor, but his current TV is an Insignia NS-19E310A13, which is very small and fits on his desk, and has two speakers which are 3 watts apiece. Most monitors have smaller or no speakers, and a sound bar will just clutter the desk and be one more piece of equipment that he can mess up.
But if you turn Auto Input Sensing "off", it won't do that. At least not on my set. Yours has the same setting, so I wouldn't think it would be any different in that respect. That's why I asked if you had tried that.

If it works the same as mine, turn that setting off and the set will start with the last input used....regardless of signal or not. No RF Antenna unless you turn it off with that setting selected.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
These instructions are essentially the same that were posted in the original post, which validates that they're accurate.https://www.cordcutters.com/how-chan...-input-roku-tvAccording to the article, that process should work with any Roku TV brand. .
Thank you for finding that. The post where I read that didn't specify it is only for Roku TVs. I don't have a Roku TV.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:56 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Thank you for finding that. The post where I read that didn't specify it is only for Roku TVs. I don't have a Roku TV.
Good to know, since the info you quoted in the original post mentioned Insignia Roku TV in the first sentence. To give you a solution, we're going to need to know the brand and model of the TV you have, since the answer is going to be specific to that brand and model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics