U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2020, 05:51 PM

1,486 posts, read 965,171 times

Advertisements

Can you lower the resolution down to 480 with a firestick as opposed to a roku which will only go as low as 720? I'm asking because I have a data cap and I'm ok watching the lower resolution to save data. I have a roku so I'm familiar with it, but couldn't find the info on the firestick I needed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 07:27 AM

3,579 posts, read 3,045,132 times
I read 480 but that was on a very old firestick (about five years ago) so it may no longer be accurate for the newer models. Write Amazon help...

In fact, the article is still on the net....
https://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-acce...n-the-fire-tv/

Old 08-26-2020, 08:42 AM

12,972 posts, read 15,083,632 times
The reduction in data usage from 720 to 480 would be pretty minimal. Are you hitting your cap?

Old 08-26-2020, 09:16 AM

4,881 posts, read 3,392,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Can you lower the resolution down to 480 with a firestick as opposed to a roku which will only go as low as 720? I'm asking because I have a data cap and I'm ok watching the lower resolution to save data. I have a roku so I'm familiar with it, but couldn't find the info on the firestick I needed.
Which model of FS?

Old 08-26-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Which model of FS?
I don't know, I don't have a firestick. That's why I was asking about it. Trying to find out if I should get one or not.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:49 AM

4,881 posts, read 3,392,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I don't know, I don't have a firestick. That's why I was asking about it. Trying to find out if I should get one or not.
Firestick supports 480p on all models as far as I know. Gen 1 I wouldn't mess with. Gen 2 is up to 1080, Gen 3 is up to 4k.

There may also be settings within each app to control whether you want SD, HD or 4K. Setting the resolution may not affect streaming bandwidth. It may stream full resolution and downsize to 480? I don't know for sure. It may also depend on each app.

There is a new feature called Data Monitoring, it may be what you are looking for.
https://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire...C%20and%20Good.

What streaming service are you using?

Old 08-26-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The reduction in data usage from 720 to 480 would be pretty minimal. Are you hitting your cap?
I'm getting really close some months, but no I haven't hit it yet. I'm in the country, back in on a dirt road, pretty far from the blacktop road, so I have to go with a local fixed wireless service. Hence the data cap. I get their 200G service, but they've told me they don't care if I go over up to 400G. Still, I try to stay within the 200G that I pay for. That allows for about 6G a day. So continual use at 1080 would put me over my daily allotment. Yes, I watch a lot of tv

I have youtube tv and I actually set it to 360 for the silly daytime court shows and such and it's fine for that. Then I can bump it up for the evening prime time stuff. I have my tv hooked up to a desktop so it's easy enough to lower the resolution on most of the services such as netflix, hulu, prime and youtube. They all have settings for that, but I have a roku on the tv in my bedroom and I was looking at the roku channel and couldn't figure out how to lower the resolution any lower than 720 on it. That's why I was asking whether it would be worth it to get a firestick. I thought maybe it would have a way to lower the resolution to 480 instead of 720. Also, how can you set the resolution on tubi and pluto channels? I couldn't seem to find the settings for that.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Firestick supports 480p on all models as far as I know. Gen 1 I wouldn't mess with. Gen 2 is up to 1080, Gen 3 is up to 4k.

There may also be settings within each app to control whether you want SD, HD or 4K. Setting the resolution may not affect streaming bandwidth. It may stream full resolution and downsize to 480? I don't know for sure. It may also depend on each app.

There is a new feature called Data Monitoring, it may be what you are looking for.
https://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire...C%20and%20Good.

What streaming service are you using?
Thanks! I have data monitoring through my isp service, but the amazon one is interesting too. The reason I didn't go with the firestick originally is because when I was looking for a streaming device, amazon and youtube tv were having a big spat and amazon wasn't supporting youtube tv. That's why I went with the roku. Now that they are, I thought I'd check out the firestic.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:14 AM

13,448 posts, read 6,627,562 times
Depending on your router options the other thing you can try is to restrict bandwidth to the Roku and see how that works.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:09 PM

23,572 posts, read 24,604,519 times
I like roku because that's the one I have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics