U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 09:48 AM

619 posts, read 406,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Thanks for so many good replies.

We infact have my husband's college Polks and Infinity for our garage and shop. I like the look of these Tektons, thanks. Have you used these personally? I'm willing to spend more than this if you think it's necessary for living room speakers.
I've heard but do not own the Tektons and they were impressive for the money. They've often been compared to ZU Audio speakers, big sound as well but more expensive.

If you're willing to spend more than the base model I recommended it creates a lot more options. You might want to consider shopping for speakers that compliment your decor (admittedly the tekton brand up the line can overpower a room visually). Contemporary vs. Colonial vs. Retro decor would yield completely different recommendations.

Of course you want to ooh & aahh the sound but you'd need to ask yourself, do you want the sound system to be a visual showpiece, innocuous or completely invisible?

If you're still liking the tektons I'd suggest browsing audiokarma.org as their speaker forum has a large tekton fanbase. Maybe someone local to you with a pair would offer a demo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 11:20 AM

I think every internet direct speaker should be demo'd this way. Vinyl track is from Yello 1987. Consider it a cross between Enigma and Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Pro audio stereo recorder in the room, 24 bit/ 96 k hi-bit recording (no compression - so it might buffer if your WiFi speed is on the low end)
Intended for headphones so you can have an idea of what the speakers in the manufacturers demo room actually sounds like.
Speakers are driven by 2 whole watts of tube amplification, Decware's flagship model amplifier.

While none of the gear demonstrated is for shallow pockets it is considered high value for the money. Enjoy

Old 09-10-2020, 11:25 AM

9,897 posts, read 4,821,546 times
Just go buy a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers and you'll be set for life.

Trust me on this.

And it's not a "driver", it's an "amplifier".

Old 09-10-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Trust me on this.

Yes, set for life if the OP selects power and components that match well with the Heresys and the install environment.

Unlikely the poster will do a great job the first time around pairing gear to the speakers. A perfect real life scenario, Chipotle has Hersey IIIs installed in most/ all of their locations. The result is atrocious, mainly because they're installed inverted, 6 to 8 feet above your ear level in a giant cube of glass and concrete, probably using a garbage preamp/ power and definitely being sent a garbage signal.

If the poster is eager to become educated in selecting the right gear Heresys could be both economically and sonically rewarding. Could end up very disappointed with results just plugging in to what's on hand.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:34 PM

964 posts, read 400,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Trust me on this.

They are very nice speakers, but the OP never gave his budget for speakers. If Heresy's are out of the budget, I would suggest you check on Craigslist or OfferUp near your location to see if you can score some. If not, you can get some decent used Klipsch speakers from Adorma.com. That could be worth a shot OP.

https://www.adorama.com/l/Used/Klips...=de&perPage=75

Old 09-10-2020, 05:54 PM

17,470 posts, read 31,186,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I miss those days. I’d like to put together a good system. I’d even like to get a record player and a collection of records. Sure digital and streaming are nice, it lacks the warmth of analog.

I’m weighing in because this piques my interest.
Yamaha has some relatively cheap CD players ($300.00 to $500.00) that have digital to analog converters. They also have very expensive ones, just like other brands such as Danon and the rest. Other brands also have relatively cheap CD players, but I like the cheaper Yamaha CD player paired to a good set of speakers. You don't have to spend a fortune on speakers, just shop around from Polk and other manufacturers. Relatively good ones (not the best), start around $600.00 a pair.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:48 PM

263 posts, read 95,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Guessing by driver you mean Amp? Receiver? what the speakers are hooked up to and has a volume control. Since you've already relegated your Infinitys and Polks to lesser areas the house, there's a good chance your existing equipment may be able to let some higher quality speakers work to their full potential.

Since you're responsive to comments (that's great) I'd suggest giving us some more information to better assist:
  • Brand and model of the 'driver' and disc player and any other equipment
  • Approx room dimensions: Length Width and Height
  • Do you intend to add TV/ DVD/ Streaming/ old vinyl to the new setup
  • Budget: What are you able to spend in order to bring really engaging, enjoyable sound into your home?
Thank you. We have Onkyo and Kenwood receivers. Sony and other brands of disc players. I'm assembling a stereo set up for a large living room with a vaulted ceiling. Id like to stay under 1k for speakers.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:36 AM

263 posts, read 95,373 times
I appreciate all these comments. I'm hoping to find two speakers that produce a big, clear, bassy sound like large older speakers did. I realize they may be ugly and blocky. In the past I purchased elegant tower speakers that didn't produce the bass sound I wanted.

Our former home was filled with many built in ceiling speakers and a bass speaker sitting on the floor. All of these combined didn't equal two 80s vintage speakers.

Small built ins, slender tower speakers, and our current Bose speakers sound similar to car speakers.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:35 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,964,642 times
"Our former home was filled with many built in ceiling speakers and a bass speaker sitting on the floor. All of these combined didn't equal two 80s vintage speakers".

I have 2 pairs of Wharfedale W70's from the 70's (last pair was $200 on craigslist), a pair of 80's Klipsch that cost me $225 (craigslist) all in real Walnut, and some newer Polk surrounds from Crutchfield. As far as new equipment, I will buy nothing ....unless it comes from Crutchfield, they stand behind what they sell. I had an Onkyo A/V receiver (bought from Crutchfield) that was about to go out of warranty, with a bad HDMI card. Onkyo is currently in the middle of being purchased by someone and is not doing any repairs. So with the warranty ready to expire, with no solution to fix it, Crutchfield stepped up and offered to buy it back from me, full price....mind you after almost 2 years....on an upgrade to a Denon 3600.
Like I said, I will buy from no one else.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-11-2020, 07:37 AM

13,608 posts, read 6,726,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
I appreciate all these comments. I'm hoping to find two speakers that produce a big, clear, bassy sound like large older speakers did. I realize they may be ugly and blocky. In the past I purchased elegant tower speakers that didn't produce the bass sound I wanted.

Our former home was filled with many built in ceiling speakers and a bass speaker sitting on the floor. All of these combined didn't equal two 80s vintage speakers.

Small built ins, slender tower speakers, and our current Bose speakers sound similar to car speakers.
My home theater room has late 90’s/early 2000’s speakers (except subs which are newer). 5.2 setup.

Infinity RS-5 x 2 for fronts
Infinity RS-3 x 2 for rear surrounds
Infinity PS-10 x 2 For subwoofers
Infinity Beta C360 center channel

These aren’t hugely expensive, nor top end audiophile grade, but I’d challenge anyone to say they’re weak or missing anything. I love the crispness and detail out of the RS speakers and the subs add plenty of bass. The center channel is amazing. Aside from changing out the sub I’ve had this setup for 15 years in 3 homes.

But...it works for my setup and application. Everyone’s needs and tastes are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics