U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 09:15 AM

619 posts, read 406,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Thank you. We have Onkyo and Kenwood receivers. Sony and other brands of disc players. I'm assembling a stereo set up for a large living room with a vaulted ceiling. Id like to stay under 1k for speakers.
Model numbers of receivers and disc players would be helpful. Sony, Kenwood and Onkyo have manufactured anywhere from holy grail, flagship equipment through decent/ reliable down to low end consumer garbage.

The garbage gear could make $1K speakers sound like $100 speakers. Mid-price (at the time) and up those brand lines would allow you to get more enjoyment from any good quality new or used speaker.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 11:44 AM

4,927 posts, read 3,418,578 times
I have the Klipsch KLF30 as my front speakers in my living room. They are no longer produced. Not quite as "vintage" as some other models but still sound great. MSRP was $1800 a pair when they came out. I got them for $800 from a friend who had moved on to some LaScalas. They serve my purpose very well and are definitely still old school. Dual 12" woofers, mids and horn tweeters. They weigh 92lbs each and are almost 4ft tall.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klf-30

My point is, if you want vintage, you will have to pay for it. If they were junk to begin with, nobody would want them.

Some of the "vintage" stuff is still made. The La Scalas I mention are $12k a pair but hey it's free shipping.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-UZNEWF...=DST&XVVER=BQQ

It is hard(er) to find speakers with larger woofers these days. Cerwin Vega still makes them but they are not exactly thought of as audiophile speakers. They still sound good though. The reason for the smaller woofer sizes is most or all speaker set ups utilize separate sub woofers.

Here is Crutchfield's line up of floor standing speakers. Not all are that expensive and they do have a big selection.
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_12000/...ers.html?&pg=2

Old 09-11-2020, 11:57 AM

13,608 posts, read 6,726,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I have the Klipsch KLF30 as my front speakers in my living room. They are no longer produced. Not quite as "vintage" as some other models but still sound great. MSRP was $1800 a pair when they came out. I got them for $800 from a friend who had moved on to some LaScalas. They serve my purpose very well and are definitely still old school. Dual 12" woofers, mids and horn tweeters. They weigh 92lbs each and are almost 4ft tall.

My point is, if you want vintage, you will have to pay for it. If they were junk to begin with, nobody would want them.

Some of the "vintage" stuff is still made. The La Scalas I mention are $12k a pair but hey it's free shipping.

It is hard(er) to find speakers with larger woofers these days. Cerwin Vega still makes them but they are not exactly thought of as audiophile speakers. They still sound good though. The reason for the smaller woofer sizes is most or all speaker set ups utilize separate sub woofers.

Here is Crutchfield's line up of floor standing speakers. Not all are that expensive and they do have a big selection.
Can’t really beat KLF 30’s...for presence as well as weight! I think even at the end of their run they were $1200 or so for a pair. I’m also assuming you don’t use a sub with them or have the crossover turned way down.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Can’t really beat KLF 30’s...for presence as well as weight! I think even at the end of their run they were $1200 or so for a pair. I’m also assuming you don’t use a sub with them or have the crossover turned way down.
Actually I do use a sub, a small 10" which I have turned up about half way. The room is large so it doesn't get too overwhelming. I use it mainly for movies and sometime it does kick really strong. Crossover is tuned down to lower frequencies. In reality I do not need it but already had it when I got the KLF30's. I also have a Velodyne 15" which is way too much and just sitting there. I use it as a small table. lol.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:34 PM

13,608 posts, read 6,726,379 times
Quote:
Actually I do use a sub, a small 10" which I have turned up about half way. The room is large so it doesn't get too overwhelming. I use it mainly for movies and sometime it does kick really strong. Crossover is tuned down to lower frequencies. In reality I do not need it but already had it when I got the KLF30's. I also have a Velodyne 15" which is way too much and just sitting there. I use it as a small table. lol.
I can believe it’s pretty booming...I went with 2 10” subs with the crossover set midway for my RS-5s. No complaints on my setup except I guess I could have 7.2

Old 09-11-2020, 04:10 PM

9,897 posts, read 4,821,546 times
Thing is, that's the current fad - lots of treble so you think (at first) it's "accurate" - little bitty main speakers - and lots of sub-bass so you think (at first) it's "powerful" - big honkin' subwoofers - but in reality it sounds like crap.

Get yourself some proper 3 way speakers with woofers and cabinets of decent size (personally I really question whether anything much smaller than 2 cu.ft. per speaker will do), and you won't need that overboosted treble that sounds like your ear's 1" from the guitar strings or hi-hat cymbal, nor that ridiculous "thumper-car" subwoofer that rattles the glasses in the kitchen cabinet but adds NOTHING musically.

When you go to a musical performance, do you stick your head in the bass drum? Do you put your ear an inch from the bell of the trumpet? No, you don't. Why, then, do you want to listen to recorded music that sounds that way?

Old 09-11-2020, 11:54 PM

263 posts, read 95,373 times
Quote:

Thank you. I needed the education these links provided. I like the Klipsch Heresy IV. Is this the smallest in this brand I should go without losing the big bass sound I'm seeking?

These Klipsch Heresy IV are a beautiful vintage look. Thanks so much for these links.
Tonight my husband saw lots of Klipsch speakers in Costco?

Old 09-12-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Thing is, that's the current fad - lots of treble so you think (at first) it's "accurate" - little bitty main speakers - and lots of sub-bass so you think (at first) it's "powerful" - big honkin' subwoofers - but in reality it sounds like crap.

Get yourself some proper 3 way speakers with woofers and cabinets of decent size (personally I really question whether anything much smaller than 2 cu.ft. per speaker will do), and you won't need that overboosted treble that sounds like your ear's 1" from the guitar strings or hi-hat cymbal, nor that ridiculous "thumper-car" subwoofer that rattles the glasses in the kitchen cabinet but adds NOTHING musically.

When you go to a musical performance, do you stick your head in the bass drum? Do you put your ear an inch from the bell of the trumpet? No, you don't. Why, then, do you want to listen to recorded music that sounds that way?
Thanks, do you like the Klipsch Heresy IV? Will I sacrifice bass going any smaller?

Old 09-12-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Our former home was filled with many built in ceiling speakers and a bass speaker sitting on the floor. All of these combined didn't equal two 80s vintage speakers".

I have 2 pairs of Wharfedale W70's from the 70's (last pair was $200 on craigslist), a pair of 80's Klipsch that cost me $225 (craigslist) all in real Walnut, and some newer Polk surrounds from Crutchfield. As far as new equipment, I will buy nothing ....unless it comes from Crutchfield, they stand behind what they sell. I had an Onkyo A/V receiver (bought from Crutchfield) that was about to go out of warranty, with a bad HDMI card. Onkyo is currently in the middle of being purchased by someone and is not doing any repairs. So with the warranty ready to expire, with no solution to fix it, Crutchfield stepped up and offered to buy it back from me, full price....mind you after almost 2 years....on an upgrade to a Denon 3600.
Like I said, I will buy from no one else.

Regards
Gemstone1
Thanks. My husband has speakers from his college years he's since had repaired. They sound good but look ugly so we use them in our garage and shop.

I like the look of these Klipsch Heresy IV in the cherry. I didn't think I'd find a speaker that's "pretty". We're building a log cabin and decided not to install built in speakers throughout. These vintage looking speaker's will be beautiful. Thanks

Old 09-12-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Thank you. I needed the education these links provided. I like the Klipsch Heresy IV. Is this the smallest in this brand I should go without losing the big bass sound I'm seeking?

These Klipsch Heresy IV are a beautiful vintage look. Thanks so much for these links.
Tonight my husband saw lots of Klipsch speakers in Costco?
I am old school and like the look and sound of big speakers but you can get big bass with a good sub woofer and smaller cabinet speakers to provide the mid bass. In fact, you can get more bass than you can stand from a subwoofer. Mids and highs are important too. The Heresy IV's are really nice if you can afford them but then you have to think about what you will use to power them. It can quickly add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics