Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 01:53 AM

313 posts, read 269,132 times

Advertisements

I miss listening to my CD collection. We bought small Bose speakers and use our phones to play music digitally. I don't like the sound quality or fussing with my phone selecting music.

I really miss the 1980''s stereo sound from my parent's huge Onkyo and Harman Kardon speakers. I'd like to find that same big sound in a modern speaker.

Can you recommend good speakers? Do you recommend buying a new system or just using my old Pioneer driver and disc player? We gave the matching speakers away when we moved into a home with built in speakers. Thanks, I wasn't sure if I should've posted this in the "music" category?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 05:38 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
I bet you can get a great set of speakers at Goodwill for peanuts.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:54 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
If you want REAL high quality sound (not that overboosted in-your-face sound that is prevalent today) you need speakers with some SIZE. You need to be able to move a lot of air. This doesn't mean loud, necessarily.

Used is probably the way to go. Even if you need to replace the foam surrounds on the woofers you'll be ahead on cost.

Most cities of any size have a little shop where they repair stereo equipment and that's where I'd go, not to a big box store. The kids in Best Buy or whatever don't know as much about stereo sound quality as the Chihuahua next door.

For reference, look up "Audio Pros" in Watertown, Mass. I bet you town has some place similar.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:23 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
I miss listening to my CD collection. We bought small Bose speakers and use our phones to play music digitally. I don't like the sound quality or fussing with my phone selecting music.

I really miss the 1980''s stereo sound from my parent's huge Onkyo and Harman Kardon speakers. I'd like to find that same big sound in a modern speaker.

Can you recommend good speakers? Do you recommend buying a new system or just using my old Pioneer driver and disc player? We gave the matching speakers away when we moved into a home with built in speakers. Thanks, I wasn't sure if I should've posted this in the "music" category?
Newegg is pretty good for home audio. Nice selection of brands and lower prices.
https://www.newegg.com/Home-Audio-Ho...Category/ID-31

Crutchfield is good as a reference. Higher prices but they are well regarded.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-7XnGsFUx1Il/

Decide what you want and shop around, google is a good starting point.

I've found some good deals on refurb equipment on ebay. I bought a refurb Yamaha receiver, still going strong after many years.

What's the room size and type of listening you will do? Just Music? Home Theater?

What's your budget?

Old 09-09-2020, 03:40 PM

1,110 posts, read 672,295 times
Not sure how many watts your power section and no idea of budget yet. For a lower priced 'Big Sound' start here. It's Tekton's base model (at $575/ pair delivered) which has had rave reviews over the years. These should trounce any other locally available brands that sell for up to $1500. You can buy up their line if you are able to spend more.

If your intend to spend less I'd go for used Infinity's or Polks from craigslist. Make sure you are able to demo used in person as blown or foam rotted speakers could end up adding a few hundred bucks to the initial sale price (and delay your enjoying them by weeks).

Old 09-09-2020, 06:43 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
I miss those days. I’d like to put together a good system. I’d even like to get a record player and a collection of records. Sure digital and streaming are nice, it lacks the warmth of analog.

I’m weighing in because this piques my interest.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Not sure how many watts your power section and no idea of budget yet. For a lower priced 'Big Sound' start here. It's Tekton's base model (at $575/ pair delivered) which has had rave reviews over the years. These should trounce any other locally available brands that sell for up to $1500. You can buy up their line if you are able to spend more.

If your intend to spend less I'd go for used Infinity's or Polks from craigslist. Make sure you are able to demo used in person as blown or foam rotted speakers could end up adding a few hundred bucks to the initial sale price (and delay your enjoying them by weeks).
Thanks for so many good replies.

We infact have my husband's college Polks and Infinity for our garage and shop. I like the look of these Tektons, thanks. Have you used these personally? I'm willing to spend more than this if you think it's necessary for living room speakers.

Last edited by Withinpines; 09-09-2020 at 11:12 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 11:04 PM

By "power section", I'm guessing you mean our old driver. At our former home we had built in speakers in the living, dining, kitchen, family room and patio. We used 2 drivers to power these.
I'm open to purchasing a new driver, as well. As I stated, I miss the 80s speaker sound. That sound filled an entire home. Yet didn't need to be loud to hear the bass and treble clearly and independently.

Last edited by Withinpines; 09-09-2020 at 11:14 PM..

Old 09-10-2020, 07:03 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Klipsch Heresy (for smaller), La Scala (larger), Klipschorn (largest, and requires to be placed in a corner).

Nuff said.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:02 AM

1,110 posts, read 672,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
By "power section", I'm guessing you mean our old driver. At our former home we had built in speakers in the living, dining, kitchen, family room and patio. We used 2 drivers to power these.
I'm open to purchasing a new driver, as well. As I stated, I miss the 80s speaker sound. That sound filled an entire home. Yet didn't need to be loud to hear the bass and treble clearly and independently.
Guessing by driver you mean Amp? Receiver? what the speakers are hooked up to and has a volume control. Since you've already relegated your Infinitys and Polks to lesser areas the house, there's a good chance your existing equipment may be able to let some higher quality speakers work to their full potential.

Since you're responsive to comments (that's great) I'd suggest giving us some more information to better assist:
  • Brand and model of the 'driver' and disc player and any other equipment
  • Approx room dimensions: Length Width and Height
  • Do you intend to add TV/ DVD/ Streaming/ old vinyl to the new setup
  • Budget: What are you able to spend in order to bring really engaging, enjoyable sound into your home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics