U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 06:57 PM

6,708 posts, read 2,731,139 times

Advertisements

I have Samsung TV and use Roku to stream service from Comcast instead of a set top box.
Recently the faces of anchors and actors look terribly over exposed . Shony patches on the face, shiny parts of hair look bleached or gray. Rainbow of colors on perts of face. Dark skin to es appear a flat gray. The rest of the picture is sharp and normal.
The other TV in the house also connected to the same Comcast but with a set top box is fine, no distortion.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on. Comcast is sending. Technician but i was wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 10:13 AM

13,622 posts, read 6,750,451 times
Every channel? Same if you move Roku to a different TV HDMI input? How about DVD or Blu-ray through the same TV?

Old 09-17-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Every channel? Same if you move Roku to a different TV HDMI input? How about DVD or Blu-ray through the same TV?
Every channel. I have not moved the Roku anywhere else because the other TV connected to set top box works fine. What would it prove anyway? That the problem is with TV? I will check out a dvd. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Every channel. I have not moved the Roku anywhere else because the other TV connected to set top box works fine. What would it prove anyway? That the problem is with TV? I will check out a dvd. Thanks.
You want to eliminate the TV, the Roku, and any connection in between (an HDMI cable) before calling in Comcast.

To eliminate the TV try the Roku elsewhere.

To eliminate the Roku try another source.

Try another cable if it’s not a Roku stick plugged directly into the TV.

Try plugging the Roku into another HDMI port on the TV.

Last thing - there might be a setting for HDR or 10-bit color, 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4 or something else on the TV or the Roku. Try changing this.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:30 AM

i disconnected the roki and reset all the TV setting through the menu. it is tack sharp. nothing wrong with TV.
they are coming today anyway. i suspect the xfinity streaming app because they remotely tried to fix it and there was slight improvement.
i will try moving the roki as last resort because i have to remove the adhesive.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
i disconnected the roki and reset all the TV setting through the menu. it is tack sharp. nothing wrong with TV.
they are coming today anyway. i suspect the xfinity streaming app because they remotely tried to fix it and there was slight improvement.
i will try moving the roki as last resort because i have to remove the adhesive.
If you reset/tested the TV natively then it wouldn’t go through HDMI and that’s one particular area to check.

It could very well be the streaming app - did you check other streaming sources through the Roku? If they’re fine then that supports that argument.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:17 AM

the DVD has the same problem. old dvd though.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you reset/tested the TV natively then it wouldn’t go through HDMI and that’s one particular area to check.

It could very well be the streaming app - did you check other streaming sources through the Roku? If they’re fine then that supports that argument.
can you explain your HDMI comment. i have 2 connections and only one is used for roku. should i plug it into the other one?
netflix, hulu same problem

Old 09-18-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
can you explain your HDMI comment. i have 2 connections and only one is used for roku. should i plug it into the other one?
netflix, hulu same problem
Ok, so if Netflix and Hulu have the same problem it is NOT Comcast. No point in having the tech come out.

Try the other HDMI port. It could be a color space issue where Roku wants 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 and the TV thinks it’s something else.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:39 AM

9,913 posts, read 4,840,796 times
I think this is what happens when you have a high definition digital TV but only a low definition signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics